BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92324 - 05/18/09 07:12 PM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: Lefty]
kidrobot Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 23/M/usa
thanks everyone for the advice! I tried a lot of this stuff out today and it went ok, I was still getting my average. Need more practice!

Global 900 Bounty 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#
Spare ball - needed

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#92336 - 05/18/09 08:24 PM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: kidrobot]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
If you're practicing, don't worry about score. If you're worrying about score, you're not going to be concentrating on the right things. You will more than likely make bad shots trying something new, and if you're worried about the score, you're going to cheat to get a better score.

#92347 - 05/18/09 10:29 PM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: Lefty]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
The score thing is a great tip, I finally got my son to quit looking at it until after his match. With a twist of what was posted here before I told him if he marks he will know his score is good if he opens he knows he has work to do no need to look.

Sure has helped his spare percentage.
Mutant Cell

#92357 - 05/19/09 12:18 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: Rocket]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Rocket if you really want your own or Jordan's spare coversion rate to go up, take a stopwatch with you next time you both go to practice. Have the other person time your first shot Afterwards, time the second shot. You should see a differnce in the times. Usually, bowlers will take more time on the first shot than their second shot. Simply trying to spend the same amount or more time on a spare shot should send the conversion rate soaring. However, the trick is do taking your time while still blocking everything out and not overthinking.

Kidrobot,
Also have your entire fit checked to see if it good, span, pitches everything. #1 deterent of a free swing is a bad fit. Also a free swing starts with your hand. So eliminating the kung-fu deathgrip and relaxing your hand is one of the hardest things to do.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#92384 - 05/19/09 08:43 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with everyone else in this post so far. Your wrist is hurting because you have to slow the ball up in order to let your feet catch up to the timing you create with your early ball movement. Try holding your bowling ball in front of you with your arm parallel to the floor and see if it hurts, this is essentially what you are doing by holding it at the back of the swing so your feet catch up. Your wrist will always hurt if you continue to do this, not only that but you have a very strong chance of ending up with carpal tunnel or arthritis in the hand.

After you fix the timing issue I would go up in ball weight. No less than 14 pounds unless you have some sort of physical problem with your body that inhibits you from going that high. A healthy adult male should have no problem with 14 pounds, 15 pounds is probably where you should end up eventually.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#92408 - 05/19/09 10:20 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: sk8shorty01]
kidrobot Offline
Junior

Thanks, again everyone. I think a main reason for me controlling my ball like I do is because my thumb hole is too big. I had it drilled about a 2 months ago, so I don't really want to pay to get it drilled again. Can anyone recommend me any thumb insert grip tape to make my hole a little smaller and provide more grip? Or should I just get it redrilled? What is the plastic thumb insert for? will that help?

Global 900 Bounty 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#
Spare ball - needed

#92416 - 05/19/09 10:41 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: kidrobot]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Magic carpet.

Or lots of tape, black on the back.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#92418 - 05/19/09 10:51 AM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: Dennis Michael]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Or white tape in the back with black tape over it. Works just as well plus it doesn't require you put a ton of black tape in the back of thumbhole. You'd probably be better off getting your thumbhole redrilled though.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#92431 - 05/19/09 01:12 PM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I like the Magic Carpet idea. Ron Clifton has it on his site.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#92599 - 05/20/09 02:08 PM Re: give me tips!!!! [Re: sk8shorty01]
kidrobot Offline
Junior

Thanks for the help everyone.. I put some electrical tape in the back of my thumb to provide a tighter fit and it worked great! Also, I took all of your advice and changed my throw and it worked out pretty well. I don't control the ball like I used to I let it fall, I start my ball after my second step, my feet sync with my back swing and release, and I ended up averaging 170+... After I get used to getting spares with my new throw my average should go up! thanks again.

Global 900 Bounty 15#
Roto Grip Cell Pearl 15#
Spare ball - needed

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.