BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91886 - 05/15/09 11:38 AM Some more videos ;D
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/ Williamsport, PA
Taylor:

Lance:

It felt like I (taylor) had a better arm swing and a better release, but the all wouldnt move, i also saw that my speed increased to 15 miles/per hour, 3 miles faster then before. Please, anything i can do to fix anything in my approach, any tips would be appreciated, Thank you
15# C System 3.5
16# Yankee Doodle Spare Ball. "Captain America"
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726
Average: 203

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#91890 - 05/15/09 11:50 AM Re: Some more videos ;D [Re: Taylor S.]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Your timing does look better than before but there are still a few things I would fix. You seem to start the ball at different times in the approach, there are times when you start the ball as you start moving your right foot (correct) and others where you wait until mid step to start moving it (wrong). This can cause some timing fluxuations and issues.

Secondly, you are cutting the ball off at the top of your back swing. Watch the video and pay attention to just the top of your back swing, do you see any point where it looks like the ball is floating (zero gravity effect)? You start pulling the ball down before it stops moving up.

Last, you are still forcing your release. Its better than before but still needs to be free. Notice that your hand comes around the ball before you hand is at your slide ankle, this is a sure sign of muscling and forcing the release.

Overall the form is getting better, just keep working at it and pick something to work on during every practice session. If you continue to do this your practice sessions will be very valuable and you will improve quickly.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#91891 - 05/15/09 11:51 AM Re: Some more videos ;D [Re: Taylor S.]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Well, you definitely have a straighter armswing. But, it is still really controlled.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#91893 - 05/15/09 11:58 AM Re: Some more videos ;D [Re: sk8shorty01]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Sorry I forgot to watch the other video...

As far as Lance is concerned, he has a very good hand position through the swing, until he gets to the release and wants to throw the ball through the pins. The release is exactly that, you are releasing the ball, not launching it. There is no reason to throw it that hard, or try to hook it that much. There are two issues I see that are the most important. First the timing is a little late. Try to push the ball out a litte earlier in the approach, as of right now its about a half step late by the end of the approach.

Second is the follow through. If you watch the video during the behind portion you will notice that the arm actually goes all the way across the body and over the left shoulder. The arm should never go past your face, if it does you are leading yourself into pulling the ball across the nose of the rack. This is probably because of the HULKING the ball down the lane rather than staying relaxed and just being smooth. Remember its all one motion, its not all building up into the explosion at the end, its a long and predicated move that all works together like the cogs in a clock.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#91901 - 05/15/09 12:19 PM Re: Some more videos ;D [Re: sk8shorty01]
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Is it my fault that the ball isnt moving? or is it gonna move a little more if i go out and buy a new ball and start playing the same line? the ball is over 10 years old and everything but, i am thinking that alot of it is my arm swing and not the ball. If it is the ball, should i buy one online or at the pro-shop (where i think they rip me off) Thanks for the tipss
15# C System 3.5
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726

#91905 - 05/15/09 12:38 PM Re: Some more videos ;D [Re: Taylor S.]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/WI
The pro-shops in general wont rip you off, but you are seeing the price of doing business built into their cost, as well as the drilling/etc that would be added on top of a ball you bring in to them.

You are muscling the swing, controlling it all the way, and that will cause inconsistency but if you are using a plastic or older urethane type ball you arent going to see major hook unless you slow down and or rev up a lot more.
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Avg:185
HG: 245
Series: 610
Storm League
Avg: 181
HG: 224
Series: 595

#91906 - 05/15/09 12:40 PM Re: Some more videos ;D [Re: Taylor S.]
sk8shorty01 Offline

There are plenty of reasons why a ball doesn't hook much. The very first and foremost is that no ball can hook if you do not have a release that promotes it to. Right now your release is very weak (as is any new bowler) because of the forced swing and release. As you progress you will begin to let the ball work and as you do less, the ball will do more.

Secondly, the ball is 20 years old, its completely behind in technology. This is a problem in itself, but without a strong release even the best bowling balls will not produce big results. A new ball would help but a good ball will not cover up a bad release.

Last, buy a ball from a Pro Shop and get it drilled there. Do not buy one from online because you might not get what you are looking for. Not only that but after you purchase a ball online you still have to pay someone to drill it so the savings are minimal. You might save 15-20 dollars on a ball if you bought it online, but there is a potential that you get a bowling ball that did not meet quality control standards, and you also run the risk of losing the help of your Pro Shop after the drilling is complete. Most shops will help you out after they drill the ball and at least give you a few pointers. You cannot expect them to do that if you are not giving them any business.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#91916 - 05/15/09 01:18 PM Re: Some more videos ;D [Re: sk8shorty01]
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Alrighty, thanks ill have to talk to the house Pro. Does it look like i am opening my body on some of the shots? like im twisting the whole thing?
15# C System 3.5
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726

#91919 - 05/15/09 01:41 PM Re: Some more videos ;D [Re: Taylor S.]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Yes, and that is due to the muscled swing in most cases. If you let the ball swing from your shoulder rather than from your hand your open shoulder issue should fix itself.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#91920 - 05/15/09 01:47 PM Re: Some more videos ;D [Re: sk8shorty01]
Taylor S. Offline
Regional Pro Contender

Thanks for all the help!
15# C System 3.5
15# Storm IQ Pearl
High game 300
high series 726

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
no one on for 5 days
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:06 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.