BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91531 - 05/12/09 08:10 PM Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
I'm not sure I'm doing much improving. I still feel like I turn my wrist early, hold the ball back, accelerate at release, have no axis tilt, have very little knee bend, pop-up at the line, lean forward instead of sit down at the line, throw too hard. I'm still not "under" the equator or "inside" the ball but here are my latest practice shots anyway. 10 more days until I go to Ron's Clifton's camp and I don't even feel like I should be going to an "Advanced" bowling camp.

The shots are all I Videoed, about 2 games. I had 2 lanes but was only using 1 and would forget to reverse arrows sometimes. Even with a couple of carless easy misses both games were about 204 and 203. I'm not usually a whiner but I don't like wasting people’s time. All help and advice is welcomed to try to get me in the "ball park" for Ron to then work over.

~ John

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#91549 - 05/12/09 09:55 PM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: ijohn83]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
ijohn, that ball is hitting way too hard. Just seems to me that if you took a few mph off, and gave the ball some room, it would come in like gangbusters. Man, let the ball do the work.

I got winded just watching the video.

It will be interesting to hear what Clifton has to say. Keep us posted.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#91551 - 05/12/09 10:00 PM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: Dennis Michael]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
It may also be that internet coaching has done what it can for you (for now), and it's time for some in-person instruction with a great coach. He'll probably make a few light bulbs turn on, and once you've gotten his lessons ingrained we might be able to make some new progress here.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#91555 - 05/12/09 10:05 PM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: Dennis Michael]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Knee bend isn't as bad as you think. No offense but especially at 48. It looks like you are throwing the ball into the ground. I think that if your back was a little straighter at the line, you would be able to project the ball over the line better. Your balance is really good and your head stays very still. Those are very good things to have. Keep us up to date on what Ron says. Should be interesting to see the before/after.

#91582 - 05/13/09 01:36 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: General Pounder]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/ Male/ Colorado Springs CO
How much does a camp like that cost? Would love to participate if one ever came to Colorado...

Career HG: 300 (3)
Career HS: 772
Career High Avg(09-10) 217.
15-16 Avg: 189

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#91585 - 05/13/09 02:16 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: Vic44]
okorimbo Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 86,male,SF Bay Area
Cliton's clinic is $350, Ritger camps are about $429, Super School is about $695. You can get schedules by checking the web sites: Clifton is www.bowl4fun.com he is trying to have a clinic in Salt Lake City-no date set yet. Ritger is www.ritgerbowlingcamp.com, Info on super school can be found at
www.bowlingthismonth.com Ritger has a 4 day clinic coming to Denver in early August. Each site offers a full explanation of what the clinic/camp offers and what to expect.

#91587 - 05/13/09 02:29 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: General Pounder]
ijohn83 Offline

Okay; now that I am at work and can relax a little I will fill in some of my current details. I wanted today to make sure I got a Video posted to get the home stretch push for online coaching before my bowling camp. (I may be posting often in the next 10 days).
To start with I had my BW Bite plugged and re-drilled RICO. (Curiosity killed the cat) I do have a question on the balance hole. I had my driller go under size from what was recommended so I could work into the correct size. I had her drill 3/4" x 2", I think the proper size is around 1 1/8" x 2". How do I tell when the balance hole is right?
As many problems as I know I still have I actually know I am getting incrementally better; itís not necessarily showing up in higher scores yet. The most amazing fact for me is that I have actually tagged my sliding leg knee a couple of time with the ball for the first time ever. I may some day even join the ranks of those who have bounced the ball off their ankle! Six months ago that wasn't even a possibility.
The "throwing the ball into the ground" or "getting it down early" is the way I have gotten my balancing arm working for me without thinking about it. It may be time to work on "projecting" or "airplane landing" the ball better now and see if the arm stays out. If I could only stay under the ball longer that may help also. No offense taken on the 48 (I turned 49 last month). It sure beats the alternatives and I still feel like I'm twenty-five-ish.
Taking mphs off the ball and having it "come back like gangbusters", I've come to realize that words like that are from people with a very strong releases and does not apply to me at this point. When I slow it down my ball still goes pretty darn straight and I then leave a lot of splits. I need that axis tilt so I am "leaning the bike" in the turns, not just steering while sitting straight up.
I am going to work tomorrow on a straighter back with a shorter, bent pre-slide step and "projecting" or "airplane landing" the ball better.
I bowl eight games an outing, at lease 4 times a week. I have such a long laundry list to work on I would, (if the wife would let me), bowl twice a day five times a week to come closer to considering myself a good bowler sooner.
I do hope having a coach in real time will cause a major break through for me. I am defiantly ready for that.
My main goal in all of this, besides being the best I can be, is to help - more than hurt - my 18 month old grandson's bowling ability when he is old enough to bowl.

Thanks all once again,

~ John

#91588 - 05/13/09 02:30 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: okorimbo]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Maybe I can save you $350. One tip.....keep your elbow in close to your body. You have a bad case of "chicken wing", which I believe is why you are going high so many times again and again.

I particularly like that "pick a 3 pin out of the rail".

Just kidding.

Have fun at the clinic and we'll look forward to your feedback about it when you return.

Years ago I went to BTM Super School and paid $425 to do it. At that price it wasn't worth it. I can't imagine that at $695 you are getting anything better.

Erin

Edited by Atochabsh (05/13/09 02:33 AM)

#91589 - 05/13/09 02:41 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: ijohn83]
okorimbo Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 86,male,SF Bay Area
[quote=ijohn83]I'm not sure I'm doing much improving. 10 more days until I go to Ron's Clifton's camp and I don't even feel like I should be going to an "Advanced" bowling camp.

~ John
Don't sell yourself short, you need some fine tuning not a major makeover. As for advanced being too high tone for you, You are at the stage where you recognize your need for help and are willing to accept suggestions.A session with a high level coach who is used to working with all levels of skill is a great idea. And, since the class is limited to 8 players, there will be a lot of personal attention over the three days.

#91590 - 05/13/09 02:49 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: ijohn83]
ijohn83 Offline

Vic44 -

You can get put on an email list at www.bowl4fun.com to be notified when a camp is going to be in your area. As soon as you get the email notification, act on it because the camps (at least Ron's) fill up quickly; he only takes the first 6 to 8 bowlers.

~ John

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.