BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#91595 - 05/13/09 04:14 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: ijohn83]
PSBA10 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 58/M/Butler, Pennsylvania
You asked about the balance hole in a RICO layout. From what I remember when I had mine drilled, my track started over my thumb hole. As we drilled the balance hole bigger it moved the track off of my thumb. If you are not tracking over your thumb you should be OK with it as is, as long as the weights are in spec.
HG 290 Series 781 Average 198

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#91619 - 05/13/09 09:08 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: PSBA10]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
The interesting thing about this RICO layout so far(I've only had the ball back for two days) is that my track lines on the ball are better. The first track line is about 3/4" away from both thumb & fingers; My first track line has always been less than 1/4" away from the thumb (sometimes would go over) and no where near the fingers.

~ John

#91623 - 05/13/09 09:38 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: ijohn83]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I think you have made amazing strides in the short amount of time you have been on this site. It might be a good idea for you to find your original posts on this site and watch your first video you ever posted just to build a little confidence as you seem to be losing site of that light at the end of the tunnel. You are greatly improving at a pretty rapid pace, just remember that as you get better it gets harder and harder to improve so the rate of getting better slows down.

I think your overall composition is good, and I will agree with you that your problem with getting the ball down to early is because of the coming around the ball early. I think a lot of that is because of what Erin mentioned, chicken winging the ball. The back up ball drill that Slowinski talked about a month of so ago in an article might be just what the doctor ordered. Have you tried that drill yet?
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#91624 - 05/13/09 09:56 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: sk8shorty01]
ijohn83 Offline

I have tried a little of the back up drill, but not much; and never Video it. May be I'll try that today along with the other stuff. I'm going to print out my bowling homework assignments here at work and hit the alleys when I get home.

~ John

#91630 - 05/13/09 10:34 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: ijohn83]
sk8shorty01 Offline

When you do the backup drill throw like 20 back up balls (an entire game). After about 3 frames you will realize that you start to get the ball to actually back up and not just go straight. After the game video yourself and throw your normal shot starting the second game and compare it to the other videos. You will notice your elbow stays inside of the ball, your hand position will be better and you will stay behind the ball longer.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6

#91687 - 05/13/09 06:07 PM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: sk8shorty01]
ijohn83 Offline

So here is some Video from today&#8217;s practice.

This first game is the Back-up drill. I have the same bad release. The funny thing is I opened with a turkey & closed with a turkey, but missed some easy spares for a score of 187.

This next game is me trying to bowl well after the back-up ball drill game. I think it exposes how fragile my bowling progress is. I was grabbing, holding back, pushing, throwing across my body away from my slide ankle the ball; all the bad things I have been getting better at just sprang to life again! This game felt bad and the score was 183.

This next game was down the twig to clear my head and have fun. The main thing I was trying was to sit down & not lean. I don't think I did too well. I did land one in the gutter which I haven't done in quite a while. When that happens it&#8217;s a challenge to keep it close to the 1 board after that and not to chicken out.

After these 3 games I settled in and bowled 4 more. I bowled my standard 175 - 210, but was still grabbing my spare ball badly.

~ John

P.S. I don&#8217;t see my chicken winging in the old or new Videos.

#91729 - 05/14/09 08:39 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: ijohn83]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If you look at your swing alignment, in the back up drill, you can see the main problem you are having. Your swing goes out to the right slightly at the start, to in line with your left ear at the top of the back swing, then it bounces out away from your body at the top of the back swing.

Your left arm is still down at your side if you were able to keep it up at shoulder level, then your shoulder alignment might not push out away from the body as much.

You may want to start the ball more to the middle of your body, let the ball swing back in line with the center of your head, then it may not swing away from your body so much on the down swing.

#91732 - 05/14/09 08:48 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: ijohn83]
sk8shorty01 Offline

John,
Even though you might not feel it, your overall release does look a little better by the end of the second video. I would say around the 1:40 mark you start to loosen up and just let the ball swing. Remember that some times we have to take a step back in order to take two forward. Your elbow stays in closer to your body without blowing out before the release (for the most part), also you hand stays behind the ball longer. It still goes around early but you waited just a touch longer it looks like. It seemed to give you a little more on the ball and allowed the ball to read the mid-lane much better.

Next time you do the back up ball drill I would clear the spares and just throw it as a back up as a strike ball every time. Take all the alignments and everything out so you are not thinking about anything but the back up ball release. Let it swing natural and fell what your body is doing. Throw all 20 shots like this. After that bowl your game normal and don't think about anything. Just flow through the motions like you always do and your "training" will do the rest. The back up ball drill is to get that feeling of the elbow and hand inside of the ball until the release point, therefore you don't need to think about it. After that game your body knows what it needs to do.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6

#91826 - 05/15/09 02:03 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: sk8shorty01]
ijohn83 Offline

Here is 1/2 a game of today's "Back-up" ball game. I don't know what happened to the upload of the other 1/2, along with the next regular game I bowled. The regular game after was a 215. I felt a lot better bowling the back-up game today (I was going for strike shot every time, not my spares).
I changed slugs in my ball to an older one that is tighter and has very little bevel. The new one I was using yesterday fit tight low in the hole only and it had a ton of bevel. Kind of looks like it was nicked when drilling and beveled too much to hide the nick.

This may seem like a dumb question but: Is my follow through on the back-up drill suppose to be up straight, not left in front of my body like my Video?
Also I was starting the ball about an inch more centered to my body today. My brain was screaming to me that it&#8217;s not going to work and that the ball is going to slam into my leg, but it worked fine and I liked it.
I should be bowling again in the morning so I won't bother with the other missing uploads, but they looked a heck of a lot better.

~ John

#91847 - 05/15/09 07:58 AM Re: Current Videos before I attend Ron Clifton's camp [Re: ijohn83]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Your elbow is coming out away from your body, keep your elbow in tight. All you are changing is the angle of your forearm in the push away, no matter where your push away angle goes, you should always have your elbow in tight, or you aren't changing anything.

Next video keep the camera right behind you, so I can see if the ball is in line with your head in the back swing.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.