BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9135 - 07/24/06 05:55 PM Paying for the experience
Chris Cenotti Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/M/Northern California
I bowled in my first tournament this weekend. I was a little nervous when the first game got going which surprised me a little, and I struggled all day to make spares and just get the ball off my thumb (115 degrees doesn't help) so I finished almost 20 pins below avg for the 6 games.

That said, it was worth it for the experience. Not knowing anything I had to have everything explained to me. Next time I'll know. The format was a lot of fun: mini-match play is how they described it, basically you bowl head-to-head against another bowler and the winner gets 50 bonus pins to his total. The first round was random, subsequent rounds matched up based on pin total thus far.

Unfortunately the first game I got matched up with the kid from the Pro Shop who is my age, but has yrs more experience (his name is the only one on the house's all-time high youth scores with a 300 and 834 series). He came in with a 216 avg, and I also shared the lanes with a couple other 210+ bowlers. I have to say I got a little intimidated when they destroyed the rack during warm-ups and everyone but me started with a double (I at least started strike spare). I pulled a few spares while they continued to strike and my opponent ended up with 243, beating me by almost 100 pins scratch, 60 pins with hdcp.

It took a couple games to get settled and bowl close to avg,even still I went into the last game in dead last, getting to bowl the absent bowler (odd number of entries) for a free win and (mercy) 50 pins bonus.

The best part of the day, however, was bowling against and meeting the actual driller from the pro-shop (new to the area in the last few weeks). He was happy to talk to me about my thumb hole struggles, and explained the effects it would have. It was a relief as a lot of the trouble I've had the last few weeks (when I've felt like I've been really improving my form) can be chalked up to my fit. I'm going in this week to have him work with me to get a good fit. Much better than that same young guy I bowled against telling me to use more tape and stop gripping the ball when I went in before.

There were a lot of good bowlers there, and that was another benefit is I got to see how they play the lanes. One thing I noticed is they all had a lot more speed/revs than I did. Even the strokers.

All-in-all it was a lot of fun (despite the struggles) and I look forward to doing another.

Chris

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#9136 - 07/27/06 09:40 PM Re: Paying for the experience
Show300 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 33/M/Bellflower, CA
That is what bowling your first tournament is all about...the experience. I remember my first big tournament, the Quad in Vegas at the Castaways back in 2001. I was nervous as heck watching all of those big balls go down the lane and destroy the pins. Then I took my first shot in practice and shredded the rack, much to my surprise there was a great shot out for the lefties.

Anyway, I ended up shooting three decent series...688, 705 and 672 if I remember correctly. And I even cleared some brackets...I was stoked. I am just getting back into my bowling and really want to start bowling more tourneys, regionals, etc.

It's the only way to get better and not worry about other factors and just bowl your game and be confident that if you're doing what you need to the pins will take care of themselves.

Much success to you and everyone here in all their bowling endeavors...
And though I have the gift of prophecy and understand all mysteries and possess unlimited knowledge, and have faith which could remove mountains; and have not charity, I am nothing - 1 Corinthians 13:2

#9137 - 07/28/06 02:29 AM Re: Paying for the experience
Frostbreath Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 16/Male/Sweden
I know smile

After entering a Swedish Junior Masters qualification, i knew i really hadn't much chance of being amongst the top ten in order to make the finals (the tenth player got 1232 on 6 games), but i did so that i would experience the feeling. And since it was just amazing, i'm going to sign up to many more tournaments this season.

I got 942 on 6 games that time, finishing at place 71 out of 83. I've had better runs than that smile
(Storm Agent
(Circle TILT
(Brunswick Target Zone

Bedpusher

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.