BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9107 - 05/08/06 01:12 PM ABT questions
Chris Cenotti Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/M/Northern California
I'm looking a little into the ABT in the Bay area after hearing about it in another thread. I've looked at the website for a bit, but there's seems to be some lack of information (for someone new at least). I was hoping some of you could answer the questions I have before I try to email or call the local branch.

The membership app says the fee is $30 for the first year. What does it go up to in year 2? I assume there are additional fees to enter the tournaments, what would those be like?

I'm thinking that with a 147-148 book average from winter league and me bowling closer to 170 lately, now might be the perfect time for me to jump into the hdcp tournaments. Would the ABT be the way to go? How much of a committment is it (with me already comitted to 2 summer leagues)? (I saw something about summer squads, not sure what that is).

Anyone else in the Bay area bowled in these tournaments? How are the people/atmosphere (for a 25yr old guy and occassionally his wife)?

Lot of questions I know, but answers to any of them would be great.

Chris

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#9108 - 05/08/06 01:25 PM Re: ABT questions
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
How about this
http://bay.abtbowling.com/

I too found the web site confusing. But hopefully this will get your started. It looks like the last tournament was at Earl Anthony's Dublin Bowl.

Erin

#9109 - 05/12/06 02:16 PM Re: ABT questions
Zackneden Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 30/m/florida
Hey Chris I will let you know what I found out.
The $30 gets you in the ABT and you get a free shirt or 1/2 price shirt with your name on it depending on what your local branch is doing. If you get 5 people to join you get a lifetime membership free.
The tournament fees are generally $65 dollars for the regular tourneys. 1 out of every 6 make the semi finals and those people bowl to make the 5 person step ladder finals.
In my area it is very competitive. +100 with handicap wont get you anywhere near the cut line. +150 and you have a chance.
I think the max pins they will give you at your first tourney is 42, so with a 150 average the first one would be hard, after that it will adjust. You need your USBC card or number and your league sheet for handicap verification to join. I'm bowling in 1 on the 20th of this month and the 3rd of june, I really want to get 3 squads in total so I can bowl in the big 1 mid june. 500 entrants 10,000 for first. the only way I can do that is to bowl 2 squads at 1 tourney, not sure i want to do that

#9110 - 05/16/06 04:05 PM Re: ABT questions
Rick Wunder Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 57/M/Evanston, IL
Chris,
Since I bowl in the ABT Chicagoland North Branch, I cannot speak for the Bay Division, but I can give you some insight into the ABT in general.

Most of your questions have been answered by other posters. I'd like to add that there is no commitment, whatsoever. You may bowl as often or as seldom as you wish. However, there are a couple things to take into consideration. As mentioned by another poster, there are events for which you need a certain number of tournaments or entries to qualify. Our big one, the Chicagoland Open, is coming up over Memorial Day weekend. In order to be eligible to enter, a bowler must have four entries between the first of the year and the beginning of the Open. The top prize is $10,000 in each division (we still run both Masters and Classic divisions). Last year's event attracted a total of 1562 entries for both divisions combined.

The other thing you should keep in mind is that if you go more than 120 days without bowling an ABT tournament, you will be subject to a rerate. Here's what that could mean to you: You say that you are bowling about twenty-plus pins higher than your last league average. You are right in saying that this is a good time to join an organization such the ABT. Your entering tournament average would probably be set at your highest league average over the past five years. However, once you have joined ABT, your tournament average is based on your ABT scores from that point forward. Let's say you come in at 148, as you mentioned. Let's assume that you don't come in and win a tourmanent right off the bat, but you continue to average around 170, as you say you have lately. You enter tournaments, cashing somewhat regularly, and maybe making a final here and there. Your tournament average would probably move up into the 150's, if you continued to do well.

If you were to go more than 120 days without bowling a tournament, you would be subject to a rerate. Let's say it's now next season, and you are now averaging 170 in league. Your ABT average would be adjusted upward, most likely splitting the difference between your previous ABT average and your new league average, putting you into the low 160's. If you were to let your membership lapse (you don't pay your annual membership fee) and rejoin, you would be adjusted to your new highest league average, 170 in this case.

I hope all of that was reasonably clear.

Anyway, I just want to say that if the Bay Division is anything like Chicagoland, it's great fun, and the people are really nice. I've been in ABT for nearly nine years, and I have formed many lasting friendships from it.

RW

#9111 - 07/15/06 09:24 AM Re: ABT questions
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Have heard some bowlers talk about ABT. I live north of Chicago.
How do I get info? Who do I contact, and how do I join?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#9112 - 07/18/06 05:32 PM Re: ABT questions
Rick Wunder Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 57/M/Evanston, IL
Dennis,
You can go to http://www.abtchicagoland.com/ for information. Included on the website is the phone number that you can call to reach the ABT office. You will need to leave a message, but Mike will get back to you if you ask him to.

In order to join, you just need to show up at a tournament (other than Labor Day or Memorial Day), fill out an application, pay your first year's membership dues ($25), and start bowling. If you do so, please bring along confirmation of your highest league average from the 2005-2006 season.

I'll be looking forward to seeing you out there.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 11/28/20 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 11/28/20 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.