BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#90557 - 05/04/09 04:21 PM Congratulations Belmo: 2008-09 Rookie of the Year
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
http://pba.com/news/feature.asp?ID=1284
Originally Posted By: PBA
Australian two-handed bowling sensation Jason Belmonte has been named the Professional Bowlers Association’s 2008-09 Harry Golden Rookie of the Year.

Belmonte, whose revolutionary bowling style will be featured on ESPN’s E:60 program Tuesday at 7 p.m. Eastern, won The Bowling Foundation Long Island Classic, earning him an exemption to compete on the 2009-10 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour.

The 25-year old from Orange, Australia made the match play field six times and cashed in eight of the nine events he entered during the 2008-09 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour season. Belmonte averaged 219.2 and earned $44,380. His other top finishes during the season were 10th place in the season-opening PBA World Championship, 11th in the Etonic Marathon Open, 12th in the GEICO Plastic Ball championship and 15th in the Denny’s [censored] Weber Open.

"To have won the same award as guys who I look up to as bowlers like Chris Barnes, Tommy Jones, Ryan Shafer and the legend Pete Weber is extremely cool and rewarding,” said Belmonte. “I hope that my career as a full-time player on the Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour is just as successful as my first season. I am excited and very thankful to the all of those who voted for me."

Belmonte and his unique method of bowling garnered a great deal of media attention throughout the 2008-09 season including appearances on ABC’s Good Morning America, NBC’s Today Show and The Fox Network’s Fox & Friends. He was also featured in the Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, ESPN The Magazine, Denver Post, Boston Globe and ESPN.com among many other media outlets.

The Rookie of the Year honor is named after the late hall of fame PBA Tour tournament director Harry Golden and is voted on by the PBA membership and a select group of bowling writers.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#90574 - 05/04/09 06:20 PM Re: Congratulations Belmo: 2008-09 Rookie of the Year [Re: cgeorg]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I'll add my congratulations to Belmo as well. I'm sure some would remember me saying I'm not a big fan of his due to the hype he was getting from everyone. I first saw the announcement of him being Rookie of the Year on another site and went to look at the PBA site to look up a few other things, among which was the points list. He was, if I remember correctly, 48th with half or even less than half of the number of tournaments of those around him.
HS:763

#90575 - 05/04/09 06:25 PM Re: Congratulations Belmo: 2008-09 Rookie of the Year [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Mattdean76 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/NY
Congrats to Jason, the publicity is something that is well needed by the PBA and it is nice to see someone having success even at the risk of developing many unconventional bowlers, the game is changing, and you do have to adapt to what works.

15# Brunswick Power Groove Dry R
15# Global 900 Creature S40
14# Faball Purple Hammer (spare ball)
15# Rotogrip Mars Pearl

#90601 - 05/04/09 11:55 PM Re: Congratulations Belmo: 2008-09 Rookie of the Year [Re: Mattdean76]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
I would have to congratulate him as well. It doesn't matter how you bowl, as long as you can knock down the required amount of pins. I just hope that not too many people follow his two-handed style.

#90610 - 05/05/09 12:45 AM Re: Congratulations Belmo: 2008-09 Rookie of the Year [Re: beefers1]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
This shows how low bowling has sunk. I google PBA Rookie of the Year, and I get the Philippine Basketball Association, Rookies.

I didn't even know they played basketball in the Philippines.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#90611 - 05/05/09 12:47 AM Re: Congratulations Belmo: 2008-09 Rookie of the Year [Re: beefers1]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
How many bowlers even qualify for the ROY--two, three? I know one year it wasn't awarded at all.

I remember the year Billy Oatman won it. A real lefthander's lefthander, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on TV again someday.

#90634 - 05/05/09 07:17 AM Re: Congratulations Belmo: 2008-09 Rookie of the Year [Re: untutored]
cgeorg Offline

Originally Posted By: untutored
A real lefthander's lefthander...

Nice.

#90653 - 05/05/09 01:10 PM Re: Congratulations Belmo: 2008-09 Rookie of the Year [Re: untutored]
beefers1 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 24/M/British Columbia
Originally Posted By: untutored
I remember the year Billy Oatman won it. A real lefthander's lefthander, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on TV again someday.
Didn't he just lose his exemption on points? Maybe he'll get back on via tour trials.

#90775 - 05/06/09 09:58 AM Re: Congratulations Belmo: 2008-09 Rookie of the Year [Re: beefers1]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
I hope someone can upload Bemo's E:60 appearance from last night, I myself recorded it onto DVD but am afraid to upload it for fear that You Tube will both remove the video and possibly suspend or delete my account.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#90777 - 05/06/09 10:10 AM Re: Congratulations Belmo: 2008-09 Rookie of the Year [Re: BIGHMW]
cgeorg Offline

BIGHMW, it's up on ESPN's site. The thread on this forum devoted to the show has a link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 11/28/20 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 11/28/20 01:37 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.