BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82695 - 03/04/09 10:09 AM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: JStevensMD]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/VT
I'm not convinced that the PBA put this tournament out as a stunt. I know that there are arguments for and against. But one guy, namely Jeff Carter, must be thrilled as it gave him the exemption that he needed to continue next year. He was dangerously close to the exemption cut line, which mean Tour Trials or TQR's. Stunt or serious tournament, he was bowling for his job.

GP made a great point. If Wes skipped any other tournament, we aren't typing about it right now...
Storm Hy-Road | Ebonite Mission | Ebonite Complete NV | Plastic

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#82698 - 03/04/09 10:22 AM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: OldManMike]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
Originally Posted By: OldManMike
You can look at it this way; take a so-so bowler, get them a few hundred dollars' worth of high-end balls, and their average is going up 10-25 pins, without a doubt. Now, take your weekend golfer who shoots mid to high 90's; buy THEM a $5000 set of custom golf clubs. Guess what? They ain't shooting any better scores. Even with all the high-tech golf gear, the once-a-week Joe Golfer needs SKILL instead of EQUIPMENT to score better.

To a certain extent, you're right. However, it's not really a valid comparison because golf has never come up with an equivalent to the typical house shot (thank goodness for that). I suppose you could start building golf courses with funnel contoured greens, and fairways that all slope toward the middle but that costs quite a bit more than just walling up your bowling lanes. Also, golf has a greater depth and breadth of skills that must be mastered to play at a high level. Imagine having to master more than one fundamental arm swing for bowling analagous to driving, approach shots, chipping, and putting.

Having said that, lets re-visit your analogy. Put Joe "League Bowler" on the US Open pattern with a polyester spare ball and let him throw a series. Now, move Joe over to a fresh pair and give him a modern performance ball and a spare ball for comparison's sake. Will his series be higher with the modern ball? I just don't think so.

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#82709 - 03/04/09 11:22 AM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: Chubbs]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Originally Posted By: Chubbs
Put Joe "League Bowler" on the US Open pattern with a polyester spare ball and let him throw a series. Now, move Joe over to a fresh pair and give him a modern performance ball and a spare ball for comparison's sake. Will his series be higher with the modern ball? I just don't think so.

+1.

I also DO think that if you put took Joe Golfer's 460cc driver away from him, on a wife open public course, and made him use a persimmon, he'd shoot 9-18 strokes higher per round. A 275 yard slice, when there are no trees around, is still better than a 50 yard shank. You can even move the weights around to tune your shot shape - hey, just like bowling!

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#82715 - 03/04/09 11:33 AM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: cgeorg]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
GP made a great point. If Wes skipped any other tournament, we aren't typing about it right now...

Nor are we talking about the other bowlers that sat out that week: Norm Duke for example.

Erin

#82716 - 03/04/09 11:38 AM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: Atochabsh]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Or Doug Kent.

#82717 - 03/04/09 11:42 AM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: Atochabsh]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/VT
Also a very good point. The defense there was that "he always take some time off in this part of the year..."

One of my bowling buddies is on the anti-Wes train and was adamant that he should have bowled because he is an entertainer. My response had several points, but one was also a question that no one but Storm/Roto and Wes can answer. What kind of monetary incentives are there for him if he wins Player of the Year? Here's a guy in the hunt for that. Yes, he said it was bad timing, even at the beginning of the year, and if his season was tanked, maybe he bowls, but it's not. He's there now.

Duke... same thing. What about Doug Kent? Rhino?
Storm Hy-Road | Ebonite Mission | Ebonite Complete NV | Plastic

#82771 - 03/04/09 04:46 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I don't remember hearing any of the others, namely duke, kent or rhino complaining about the tournament, that's the only reason Wilbon jumped on him in the first place.

#82775 - 03/04/09 05:02 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: General Pounder]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
Originally Posted By: General Pounder
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
I agree, he is not a technology fraud, he might have even won the plastic ball tournament if he decided to bowl, but he did have an unfair advantage by taking off the week before the marathon tournament, compounded by the advantage of not having to spend a few hours practicing to remove any bad habits picked up from the plastic ball tournament (hitting up on the ball is not penalized as much with a plastic ball as it is a reactive ball, and can take some time to stop doing once started).

I don't think that it was an unfair advantage. An advantage? Sure. Bowling week after week as many as those guys do, being able to take a week off probably did him a lot of good. Tiger doesn't golf in every tournament. He plays the majors, other big tourneys, then a handful of others. There are guys who play week in and week out and win every so often. When Tiger won 6 times in a row once and 7 times in a row another time, people were talking about how impressive it is to be able to win that many times in a row. Which it is. But, he also took tourneys off inbetween. Byron Nelson won 11 tourneys in a row. You think that he took a week off? No. He also won 18 times that season by the way.

People don't criticize Tiger for taking so many weeks off. It may be unfair comparing Tiger to Wes but to me, it seems silly to attack a guy for taking a week off between a major and before a 54 game marathon tourney. Golfers do it all of the time. If it would have been just another tourney, no big deal. But, because it was a plastic ball challenge, everyone is up in arms about it. On top of that, they guy is married and has kids. Taking a little time off to spend with his family is not a bad thing.

Couldn't have said it any better Gp.
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#82789 - 03/04/09 05:38 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: ]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
I missed the part where Wes complained about the Plastic Ball tourney, aside from last week's show where he called out Wilbon.

#82815 - 03/04/09 08:01 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: JStevensMD]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
jStevensMD,

I really do not have a problem with arrogance so to speak. I think you need some degree of it to be successful. I have met some bowlers who have arrogance that I have no problem with. It is because even though they may be arrogant they respect their fellow bowlers. It is the guys who act like they are better than everyone else, make every excuse when they are not doing well, and never give anyone else who does well credit that I have an issue with. You are right that many times because the most arrogant ones seem to be younger power players, that group in general tends to get a bad rap. As you can see by your own assessment however as you labeled a lot of older bowlers as stubborn and not wanting to move so judging a book by its cover does happen sometimes. I judge by the person, not the age group or style of play.

The way I look at it is in league bowling there is a kind of chain. You have those guys averaging 160 who on occasion are going to hand it to the 180 average guys. There are the 180 average guys who are going to hand it to the 200 average guys on occasion, there are the 200… well you get my point. I would never disrespect a lower average bowler than myself because they beat me (unless the person was just a complete jerk). It is those few guys who feel they are above it all that really get to me. It is common sportsmanship to shake hands and congratulate the winning team and some of these prima donnas cannot even be man enough to do that.

One thing a lot of these guys fail to recognize or accept is that a lot of us bowlers are at a HUGE disadvantage. I will use myself as an example. I am pretty much content to bowl one league mainly for fun. I do not care to spend a lot of money on all the latest equipment and lessons. I have one bowling ball, I bowl 3 games a week (in my league), and practice once in a blue moon. Now here comes some young arrogant guy who has a physical advantage, bowls in 3 leagues, practices all the time, and has 4 bowling balls at their disposal. I certainly would hope he is a better bowler than me because if not something is definitely wrong. Without knowing someone’s back ground (how many times they bowl, the equipment they have, do they take lessons, how long have they bowled) it is hard to know exactly how skilled a bowler they are. An average alone is not really a good indicator of how good someone is.

I guess I am just trying to say to these guys who think they are above it all you need to realize that being a good sport sure beats having everyone think you are a jerk and you may want to reconsider your attitude because most of us would never give you any respect to you like we would give to a high average bowler who is humble and gives us the respect any person deserves.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by BOSStull - 0 seconds ago
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.