BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82553 - 03/03/09 11:35 AM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: ]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
That depends. On a house condition, I think he can win. On the Scorpion or Shark, he hasn't got a chance.

Wes, I'm calling you out too. If I beat you, I get your release... nelson

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#82557 - 03/03/09 12:05 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: Chubbs]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
Those guys are pretty funny, I love how Wilbon's co-host is ragging on him. And I think it's great for bowling, they should make a charity event out of it and get it on TV!

#82579 - 03/03/09 02:55 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: TenPin_]
OldManMike Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 45/M/New Jersey
I don't blame Michael Wilbon one bit for calling out Wes Malott...here's why.

I first started bowling in '69, at age 6, and have seen and bowled on it all: Rubber, plastic, urethane, resin; lacquer, water-based, synthetic; stroker, cranker, swinger, ripper; lane mops, Century 100s, Phoenix, Kegel; flats, crowns, full 10-10 blocks, impossible reverse blocks. I have also worked in every position in a bowling center, from part-time porter to mechanic to general manager. Therefore, I speak from a position of knowledge, not necessarily authority.

When I graduated to adult ranks in '81, I was a decent bowler, who got quickly better when I actually started listening to my fellow bowlers. However, one primary difference was the RESPECT factor. My parents, and grandparents before them also bowled, were fairly decent, and were respected by their peers. There was a CLEAR understanding that whether I was a better bowler than my folks or their peers, I still had to have RESPECT for them. My fondest memory of those times was bowling in 1988 with a gentleman who was 84 years old, a local and state Hall of Famer, who still averaged 187.

So what if my average was 10 pins higher-this man was the REAL deal, a legitimate legend! I only wished that I could have one-tenth of his knowledge and ability!

To tie it in with Mr. Malott, the majority of bowlers under 35 years old NEVER threw a ball under the conditions of old, and learned how to compensate via ball speed, hand position, etc. While this fact is not their doing, there exists a refusal on their part to acknowledge their predecessors and their abilities.

I gave up competitive bowling after the 2000-2001 season because of these young punks. In their minds, they were better than you, discussion over, and in a reflection of society as a whole, they had the attitude to go with it. I bowled on many a scratch league team that won league titles and struggled, but no matter what, we still had a good time. Today's generation, it's kill or behave like a idiot.

The USBC and proprietors wonder why league membership and tournament participation is declining? Just spend a few nights in your local bowling center, and watch the behavior of league participants. Given the expense involved, it's no wonder why many bowlers are just plain giving up, saying "I'm paying good money to get aggravated? No thanks!"

Wes Malott skipped the plastic tournament because he knew that he might be exposed as a technology fraud, and was afraid to face the music.

#82583 - 03/03/09 03:15 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: OldManMike]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
OldManMike,

I will agree with you about us "young guns," we really don't have a clue or at least I don't. I'm constantly humbled by things that more experienced bowlers seem to handle in two shots. I mean I just got a plastic ball and I'll come out and say that I'm having a tough time throwing it. I started with reactive balls and in getting it I knew it was going to be a challenge throwing it. I won't shy away from it though. Every bowler older and more experienced than me has said that it is something you absolutely need, especially for spare shots when the pattern is not as forgiving. And all of them seem to average, 30-40 pins higher than me as well as, tell me about the differenct conditions they've bowled on or different jobs they've had at an alley. I don't like to shy away from that. Knowledge is power after all.

I will say that you did answer my other question about the whole Malott/Wilbon contreversy. And that was, if Wilbon is going to call Wes out, why didn't he call out the Duke? He's sitting right behind Wes in the Player of the Year standings, so why not? And then it hit me, the respect factor you were talking about. Norm has been there, played on those tough conditions with plastic balls. There is no reason to call out a legend like Norm for something like that. Besides he'd probably mop the floor with them anyways.

As for Malott being a tech fraud, that arguement could easily be made. Self-taught, unorthodox style, throws some of the strongest equipment on the market today, throws a reactive ball at spares, nicknamed Mr. Versatility this year but refuses participation in the plastic ball tourney. Yeah I could see how someone could come to that conclusion.

So nobody thinks he's choice has nothing to do with the placement of the plastic ball tourney in between the Masters and the Marathon tournaments.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#82584 - 03/03/09 03:15 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: OldManMike]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
Originally Posted By: OldManMike
Wes Malott skipped the plastic tournament because he knew that he might be exposed as a technology fraud, and was afraid to face the music.

I agree with every thing you said in your post until the very end. Looking at the guys who made the plastic ball show, they'd all be classified as power players. With the exception of PDW, who in many ways is a holdover from days of yore, they were all guys who rip the cover off the ball when conditions warrant. John Jowdy wrote a great article a couple months ago about who has been affected more by the advent of reactive bowling balls. Straight players (Walter Ray, Norm Duke etc.) have actually benefitted more than stronger players have. Mallot has such a powerful release that he actually would have had an advantage over most of the field in the plastic ball event.

I understand and appreciate that the game was different in the bad old days. Does that make me think we should go back to polyester or rubber balls and oil all the way through the pin deck? No. Honestly, I think the ills of league bowling you mention are a greater reflection on cultural rot than there being anything wrong with the game. It's not just bowling where this is occuring.

Malott sat out in a vain effort to make a point to the PBA, nothing more or less.

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#82585 - 03/03/09 03:31 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: Chubbs]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Welcome to the site, Mike.

Originally Posted By: Chubbs
Originally Posted By: OldManMike

I agree with every thing you said in your post until the very end.

I agreed with almost everything up until the very end. I don't think you can say that the younger guys on tour don't have respect for those that came before them. Kids in league, maybe, but not the guys at that level. If you listen to them talk on Xtra Frame, they tend to be very mindful and respectful of the history of the game, and those that came before them. You'll also find that, when they interview older players (Carmen Salvino sticks out), that the older guys believe that the current crop of professional bowlers are better than they ever were.

Now, what of the older exempt players that didn't participate? Was Norm Duke afraid of being exposed as a technology fraud?

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#82591 - 03/03/09 03:46 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: Luksa]
RLD Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Pinoy-Guamie on the Bay
Originally Posted By: Luksa

Just don't let it hypnotize you smile

Not only am I hypnotized, just staring at all those revolutions made me dizzy! seeingstars LMAO!

#82592 - 03/03/09 05:04 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: Chubbs]
OldManMike Offline
Bumper Bowler

Originally Posted By: Chubbs
[

I understand and appreciate that the game was different in the bad old days. Does that make me think we should go back to polyester or rubber balls and oil all the way through the pin deck? No. Honestly, I think the ills of league bowling you mention are a greater reflection on cultural rot than there being anything wrong with the game. It's not just bowling where this is occuring.

I highlighted exactly what my main issue is/was, and how Wes is a graduate of that school of thought. To me, he's just arrogant. Not questioning his ability per se, just the attitude.

#82593 - 03/03/09 05:06 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: OldManMike]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
Gosh I would love to have a release like that!
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#82594 - 03/03/09 05:13 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: OldManMike]
OldManMike Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks for the replies, folks. I enjoy a good debate.

I believe that bowling, like many other sports, needs to reorganize its record books due to the technology revolution. Honestly, it's very difficult to compare the abilities of Hardwick, Weber, Carter, and even Roth, Anthony, and Holman to the current crop of professionals. There are just too many factors out of the bowler's control to place much, if any, blame upon them for the scoring explosion.

On the other hand, we can thank the esteemed folks formerly in Greendale for opening Pandora's Box. THEY approved the ridiculously easy lane conditions; THEY approved the insanely explosive balls; THEY approved the posting of a lane condition prior to bowling.

Scores didn't get crazy until the urethanes began arriving in the early 80's, and it was shortly thereafter when the ABC started monkeying around with short oil and other schemes which certainly haven't worked to stem the tsunami. Perhaps the USBC needs to create 2 record books; pre- and post-urethane.

You can look at it this way; take a so-so bowler, get them a few hundred dollars' worth of high-end balls, and their average is going up 10-25 pins, without a doubt. Now, take your weekend golfer who shoots mid to high 90's; buy THEM a $5000 set of custom golf clubs. Guess what? They ain't shooting any better scores. Even with all the high-tech golf gear, the once-a-week Joe Golfer needs SKILL instead of EQUIPMENT to score better.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by BOSStull - 0 seconds ago
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.