BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#90271 - 05/01/09 09:24 PM My ugly attempt at Bowling
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Well here it is my attempt at re learning this sport. Jordan was the camera man for me. We had another competition he beat me series wise. Jordan 168-163-183. Me 152-158-202!! That's right took the punk down 3rd game lol. Here is the video of me warming up as you can see I need all the help I can get. The next time we go I will try to have him get my release I still throw a slider frown

Please be gentle.
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#90279 - 05/01/09 11:07 PM Re: My ugly attempt at Bowling [Re: Rocket]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I think I heard of this 13 year old kid in your area who could probably give you a few pointers.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#90306 - 05/02/09 07:40 AM Re: My ugly attempt at Bowling [Re: Rocket]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I think I saw big foot on the lanes behind you.

You start off with the ball too far out in front of you, keep the ball in close to your body, then go forward until the front of your arm is in line with the front of your chest, then drop the ball into the swing.

You also seem to be trying to throw the ball hard, just let it swing nice and free and see if your accuracy and power don't increase.

#90309 - 05/02/09 07:54 AM Re: My ugly attempt at Bowling [Re: CoachJim]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks for the tips, yes I know a 12 year old that has a much better form then me lol. I used to be a decent bowler cant believe all those years away from the sport has me this screwed up. When I watched the video myself it hurt it was so ugly. But now at least I have a starting point thanks again.
Mutant Cell

#90393 - 05/03/09 04:42 AM Re: My ugly attempt at Bowling [Re: Rocket]
bowlerchic1 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 29/F/ID/USA
Don't be so hard on yourself dude! I know what it's like, I quit for 9 years and getting back into it can be tough. I can tell you that you need to RELAAAAAAX, and slow down a little. Everything just looks forced (understandable). At your beginning stance, bring your elbow back to your side, push the ball forward as you take your first step, and let your arm swing freely. IT looks like you muscle your backswing, which will cause you to yank the ball left of your target. So free your swing, and don't try to throw it so hard. Your arm should be like a pendulum, and you don't want to give the ball push until it's passing your sliding foot. Also, like coachjim said, you should be closer to the foul line at the end of your approach. If I were coaching you, I would tell you to try moving up a step at the beginning of your approach, and remember, SLOW DOWN, you'd be amazed at how much more power you can get when you're not trying to muscle the ball. A little practice and help from a coach or someone will make all the difference. Good luck!!

#90400 - 05/03/09 09:43 AM Re: My ugly attempt at Bowling [Re: bowlerchic1]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks for the encouragement, Dont worry my son will make sure we get plenty of practice after reading the post he already has me working on my swing here at home lol.

We start our youth adult league Tuesday night so he is trying to whip me into shape before then. Actually I can't wait once I get into shape I will probably join adult league in the fall. I cant have him beating me all the time some of my friends bowl and I would never live it down.

But I see what you and coach Jim are saying that arm looks ugly and my tempo is way faster then it used to be. So now I have something to improve upon. I will work on hooking and the rest after I smooth them out.
Mutant Cell

#90552 - 05/04/09 03:08 PM Re: My ugly attempt at Bowling [Re: Rocket]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Rocket,
You are not nearly as ugly as you might think. Just a few rough edges to sand over. I agree with the above, I think your arm starts to far in front of you. I think if you start the ball as you start your first right foot step you will be less inclined to pull the ball throughout the entire approach. Right now you get a little bit of a late start and it causes your swing to have to accelerate or it would be so far behind your steps you would be off balance and probably fall over. Remember you can't just get up there and throw fastballs every time, you have to add some finess to your "pitches" or the batter will unload on you. Offspeed pitchers always seem to fair better than power pitchers so remember that in your game.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#90577 - 05/04/09 06:33 PM Re: My ugly attempt at Bowling [Re: sk8shorty01]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/WI
With all the videos of your son and now you it might be good to invest in a decent digital vid cam, can be had for $150-200 entry level and will help a lot in seeing what is going on, as well as being able to slow down the frame rate to analyze it further.

Good luck!
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Avg:185
HG: 245
Series: 610
Storm League
Avg: 181
HG: 224
Series: 595

#90579 - 05/04/09 07:06 PM Re: My ugly attempt at Bowling [Re: Shale]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks again, The weird thing is I dont feel like I am throwing hard at all by watching the video I see thatI am as well. We didn't get to practice since the video, work has been crazy busy (Thank God)But if I know Jordan we will definitely be there Friday night, league is tomorrow night but wont be videoing then. I will take my camera it has video capability and zoom I did some test video with it and it looks pretty good, if I put much more money into bowling right now my wife wont be happy. Lol she is still waiting on her Gazebo to be finished so maybe after that I can sneak it in. With my new ball shoes and bag plus Jordans equipment she thinks I might be getting carried away lol.
Mutant Cell

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.