BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#9019 - 05/14/05 11:57 PM Synthetic or wood???
Anna Broussard Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 51/female/Louisiana
Just would like to know, which is better, synthetic or wood lanes. Also, which approaches are best? And, should you have different balls for different lanes? Which type of lanes, give you the best shot?

Anna Lynnette Broussard

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#9020 - 05/15/05 12:08 AM Re: Synthetic or wood???
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
For me I like synthetic lanes because the lane condition doesn't breakdown as fast as wooden lanes. But for my game it doesn't really matter what surface that I bowl on. The ball reaction would differ depending on the lane condition. Synthetic approaches can differ. But from my experience synthetic approaches can be very sticky and wooden approaches can be slippery. Every bowler is different and only you would have to experience which one you would prefer depending upon your game and what works well for your game. But at the same time you have to be very versitile for both surfaces and to be able to vary different adjustments on both surfaces.

#9021 - 05/16/05 12:36 PM Re: Synthetic or wood???
bimmerman Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 55/M/Maryland
IN my opinion, ALL approached should be wood. There are much more consistent and nor nearly as sensitive to humidy changes as sythetics. As for the lane surface, I really don't have any preference to either one. The biggest difference that I've seen is the way they transistion. Wood will have (IMHO) a more consistent, orderly transistion, while syntheitcs can be very abrupt in the transition. One frame the shot will be there and the next frame you may need to make a 5-10 board adjustment because it's gone.

#9022 - 05/16/05 12:49 PM Re: Synthetic or wood???
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
Actaully, the NEW Bruswick Synthetic approaches are pretty good, very unlike the original Brunswick Synthetics... actaully able to slide without the use of a slide sock when its a little humid. I've bowled on some wood houses that were tackier than the new Brunswick approaches.

#9023 - 05/16/05 07:13 PM Re: Synthetic or wood???
Anna Broussard Offline
Junior

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I haver struggled with sticking on some approaches. Some are worse than others. I have noticed though, after a few slides, it gets better, most of the time. I have bowled three solid games and never slid, not once. That was horrible. And it messed up my games at other houses for about a week. I had to relearn how to slide. I heard that the approaches in Alexandria, LA., that I will be bowling ABC State, in a couple of weeks, are really bad. I am trying to mentally get ready for it. I find that there is a film on the approaches that causes me to stick. I have to go up there and clean them. I may bring extra clean towels to wipes them clean. I'm just not looking forward to fighting the approaches.
As far as the lanes, I think, one house that I bowl at, has synthetic at the first half of the lanes and wood the second half. I'll have to check on that, to make sure I understand what they said. Is there a synthetic substance that they put on wood lanes?
I really need to learn more about the lanes and approaches, along with different oil patterns. I think it would improve my game.
Thanks again for all of the replies to my questions. Even though I have bowled for years, I still learn something new all the time.

Lynnette

#9024 - 05/16/05 07:50 PM Re: Synthetic or wood???
ExBronxiteBowler Offline
PBA Senior Bowler

A/S/L: M 66 Staten Island, NY
Lynnette, go to a hardware store, and find a steel brush and keep it with you all the time. It will come in very handy at times, sometimes to rough up the sole so you dont slide as much, sometimes to clean the sole, and and sometimes to keep the sticky film off your sole. Its a very good thing to have at your disposal.

#9025 - 05/16/05 09:39 PM Re: Synthetic or wood???
Anna Broussard Offline
Junior

Thanks. I do have a steel brush. And I use it often. I also have the Dexter SSTs, so that I can change the slides. But some places have such bad approaches, that nothing helps. I have taken some really nasty falls from sticky approaches.

#9026 - 05/19/05 07:44 PM Re: Synthetic or wood???
Jason Fewell Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 32/Male/Mckinney, Tx
I have problems sometimes, too, Anna. I have Dexter SST's and the approaches in one house I bowl in are normal while the other house is real tacky. I have a slide stick I use at the tacky house. Scrape some off with my knife or file and rub it into my sole. Works great. It is made for assisting with slide, so, unlike powder, you don't have to worry about sending a team mate or opponent down to the arrows.....When I go back to the normal house, I use my brush to clean up the sole and help to not slide as much. It is very frustrating when the shoes are not cooperating. Ruins sets.......Hope this helps.

#9027 - 05/19/05 09:50 PM Re: Synthetic or wood???
Anna Broussard Offline
Junior

Thanks Jason. I will have to look into getting that stick. I think I know what you are talking about. I have just not ever purchased the stick. I do have the powder though. I only use it if I have to, because I am, too, scared of it hurting someone else. I will try to pick up a stick this week. Thanks again. It may help me next weekend, when I bowl in the Louisiana ABC State tournament.
Lynnette

#9028 - 05/25/05 02:41 AM Re: Synthetic or wood???
Flamenco Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/Singapore
I don't think its a matter of better or worse. But more of a personal preference.

I prefer synthetic lanes to wooden and wooden approaches to synthetic. Seems wooden approaches are less tacky on the whole and easier to slide on.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.