BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89644 - 04/26/09 08:53 PM Jordan's Pepsi State Final scores
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
134-113-111-130-126-129

First I will start off we had a great time! Jordan bowled in the last flight of the day, they did not re-oil the lanes from 8a.m..

I am not trying to make excuses Although his scores dont reflect it he performed great. He was making adjustments almost every 3 frames. He only has one ball my bad for not buying him a plastic ball for just these occasions. At one point he was throwing 12board to 1 board just to grab some oil but where he is still new he was dumping some in the gutter which was killing his scores. He tried to flatten it out but still no dice about 4 feet out his ball would take off. Finnaly in the last game he was throwing 23-8 and started to get some good flush shots but with his ball being so light wasn't getting a lot of carry.

The Pepsi people did a great job keeping everything orderly they had a couple incidents a few lanes down from us that they promptly took care of.

The good points. Jordan's form was really solid. Even though he was struggling every game he never got frustrated or gave up usually gave me a big grin no matter if he spared or missed. many of the parents and coaches commented on his form 3 different coaches from different parts of the state ask where we lived hoping it was near them so they could work with him.

After it was over he said I wish I done better, I replied you could not have made me any prouder! Being a first year bowler making all the adjustments you did and keeping your composer was an incredible thing to watch. And many of the other parents agreed.

Thanks again for all the tips now its time to start working on his next tourney the 16th. I will be posting a short video tomorrow showing the lane conditions and pictures of all his awards he got at his banquet from his league. thanks again.
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#89707 - 04/27/09 10:32 AM Re: Jordan's Pepsi State Final scores [Re: Rocket]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Rocket,
That is great, at least he kept his chin up and moved around rather than playing the card a lot of people play, "I have stood 20 and looked 10 for 15 years, I don't need to move". I think that is an accomplishment on its own.

CONGRATS JORDAN!!!

Now onto something I noticed in your video. It seems that in that video he was kind of rushing the shot. There was little to no pre-shot routine. Remember that you want to set up, breathe, relax, focus on your target, wash your mind of all shots and go. In that video he is walking up to his stance and looks down to where he wants his feet, as soon as he stops and looks at his target he starts his approach. I think it would be a good idea to establish a slow and rythmic pre-shot routine that will keep him relaxed and focused on the shot at hand. Just a thought.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#89709 - 04/27/09 10:40 AM Re: Jordan's Pepsi State Final scores [Re: sk8shorty01]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
Great deal, and he didn't let up. Watch out he'll be one heck of a bowler at some point!
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#89714 - 04/27/09 12:10 PM Re: Jordan's Pepsi State Final scores [Re: AmpleSound]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thank you both, the pre shot routine was the first thing I noticed when we watched the video as well. I am sure he will be reading the site as soon as he gets home ussaly the first thing he does, so that will reinforce my advice.

He has a local tournament coming up and it is at the lanes he bowls league in , first thing he asked me this morning was could we go practice tonight when I get home. I told him maybe rest up a bit tonight (I dont know about him I am exhausted) Then hit it tuesday so maybe we can work on his setup at home tonight give old dad a break.
Mutant Cell

#89731 - 04/27/09 01:19 PM Re: Jordan's Pepsi State Final scores [Re: Rocket]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Well, thats good that you notice things in his game. Its a great asset to have someone at the lanes that can point little things out to you while you are bowling.

Were you allowed to talk or to interact with him at all during the event? If so, remember that you cannot tell them what they are doing wrong (no coaching) but you could sort of hint towards it. Something that he would understand without the world knowing you are giving him advice.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#89755 - 04/27/09 03:09 PM Re: Jordan's Pepsi State Final scores [Re: sk8shorty01]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
I commend Jordan for his bowling. Also...how old is he and what weight of ball does he use?

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#89776 - 04/27/09 06:48 PM Re: Jordan's Pepsi State Final scores [Re: Reconbbs]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thank you, No no talking or signaling there were lots of parents and coaches alike squirming in their chairs. But as I mentioned Pepsi ran a tight ship and they told us they would be watching for hand gestures and such anyone caught would be asked to leave.

Jordan is 12 and right now only throws a 10# ball that is one reason he only had one I didn't want to put a lot of money in equipment when I know he would be growing out of it fast.
But looking back I wish I had for his sake poor guy was really working hard but with those super dry conditions just couldn't work it out.

His coach has been working with him and a twelve pound ball he had plugged and drilled for him but right now is still just a bit heavy about the 6th or 7th frame he looses all control of it.
Mutant Cell

#89825 - 04/28/09 02:04 AM Re: Jordan's Pepsi State Final scores [Re: Rocket]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
When he is able to use a heavier ball his scores will improve tremendously. His carry will be much better. It's good that you aren't rushing Jordan into using a ball that's too heavy for him. But when he's able to using 14 or 15lb equipment he'll be able to move into better performance bowling balls. I think he could pull that off by the time he's 14 or 15.

Btw. For his age, his form is pretty darn solid. When I was that age I thought breaking 100 was amazing for myself. Now I'd quit bowling for life if I did so haha. I'm sure Jordan will be a good bowler in the future.

Edited by Reconbbs (04/28/09 02:05 AM)

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#89838 - 04/28/09 07:50 AM Re: Jordan's Pepsi State Final scores [Re: Reconbbs]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks again, Yeah right now he is very passionate about the game and he doesnt let his sucess mess up his game he is never satisfied with his scores no matter how good. Like I mentioned earlier he would practice every day if we could. he does work on things at home when we cant get a lane.
Mutant Cell

#89843 - 04/28/09 08:47 AM Re: Jordan's Pepsi State Final scores [Re: Rocket]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Rocket, just thinking back ?? years. Too many to print. I was one of the 13 year olds who hung out at my local lanes. I got to know the better bowlers, as they were the ones who would practice all the time. I would bowl with them, or next to them and get tips. There were no certified Coaches then. The older guys taught the younger ones. Eventually, I was old enough to work at the lanes, cleaning up, picking up glasses, and mopping the lanes before leagues. We didn't use oil back then.

I see many younger teens at our local lanes today doing the same thing.

The advantage is that these teens, as I did, got a chance to bowl quite a bit and for little to no cost. I loved that time, and my parents always knew where I was. I was a bowling rat. In later teens, I got so bad, that I couldn't wait to drop a date off so I could get to the lanes, just to see who was there.

Edited by Dennis Michael (04/28/09 08:49 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 06/10/18 05:29 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 05/23/18 04:38 PM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.