BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89597 - 04/26/09 02:28 AM What to work on?
Jon-jon Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: M/Bartlett, IL
Here are a couple of videos I wanted to put up and get some feedback on before I take some better videos after I've worked on some stuff.

In the first video, I noticed that my arm is bent at the top of my swing, wasn't sure if it is bad for it to be that way, so I've been trying to straighten it out. My brother accidentally took the 2nd video vertically, and the angle is off to the side, so it's kinda hard to see.

Disclaimer: Watch out with the sound, there was a loud group next to me :P

Any and all comments and criticism are welcome!

Thanks!

Edited by Jonjon (04/26/09 02:32 AM)

2008-2009 Winter Avg: 182
High Game: 274
High Series: 645

2009 Summer Avg: 202
High Game: 247
High Series: 723

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#89599 - 04/26/09 04:54 AM Re: What to work on? [Re: Jon-jon]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Welcome Jonjon. Join the growing list of Chicago bowlers on here.
Seems that you are pulling your arm up in the backswing, and again in the downswing, causing your body to be turned to the ball side at release. Your shoulders are not square at the foul line, although you do maintain balance, and not fall off to the side.

The upward pull would cause the bend elbow. And, your slide to the right as you pull your arm through.

Can't see your release from either one of those camera shots. Post another vid from the ball side, if you can.

You can shorten your approach. The ball actually lands before the foul line.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#89611 - 04/26/09 10:02 AM Re: What to work on? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Jon-jon Offline
Bumper Bowler

Thanks for the welcome and critique Dennis!

Hmm, yeah I actually noticed that my ball lands before the foul line. My slide foot stops about 1.5 feet before the foul line, but when I tried my approach 1 foot up from where I usually start (usually start at the second row of dots), I got really thrown off because I target really close to the foul line. I don't target at the arrows, nor do I target at the dots before the arrows, it's more between the dots and the foul. So since I got so thrown off, I figured I'd just keep my approach the same. Maybe I'll give it more practice and pick a new target distance? Is it a big problem that I don't come all the way up to the foul line?

I'll try not pulling my arm up and down on the swing and get some more videos up.

Thanks again! Anyone else have any more comments?

#89615 - 04/26/09 10:13 AM Re: What to work on? [Re: Jon-jon]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Your style is reminiscent of Lonnie Waliczek who was on tour a few years ago. Lots of bent angles and movements I wouldn't coach, but seem to work for him, and may be working for you as well, I will reserve judgment until I see a side view and a better shot from behind with the camera lined up with your ball and your target.

Welcome to the site.

#90954 - 05/07/09 05:48 PM Re: What to work on? [Re: CoachJim]
Jon-jon Offline
Bumper Bowler

Finally took some more videos... I got the camera in a better position than the first couple of videos. Everyone at the alley didn't look friendly enough to ask for help to shoot a side view. Maybe I'll set up a chair next time

Shot 1: Hit my target, but I think I put a little more on the ball than usual, goes brooklyn.
Shot 2: Missed to the left, pulled it, hit more oil though, so it pushed through
Rest of the shots: Little deep, but I hit the target I was aiming for

I start further up on the approach, I come reasonably closer to the foul line at the end of my slide now.

As for the elbow bend and pulling it up and back down on the swing, I'm finding it very hard to fix. I really feel like I'm not pulling up, but it just might be that I'm too used to it to notice. So in this video, it's me trying to let gravity do its thing, but it looks the same as it always has frown

Edited by Jonjon (05/07/09 06:02 PM)

#90983 - 05/07/09 09:58 PM Re: What to work on? [Re: Jon-jon]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Maybe you just have long arms, and from the rear it looks that way.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#91044 - 05/08/09 09:32 AM Re: What to work on? [Re: Dennis Michael]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I am just curious, and this has nothing to do with a fix, have you ever hit the ball on the ground in your back swing? Just curious because I have never seen anyone be able to get the ball that low that early. Just an observation.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#91064 - 05/08/09 12:58 PM Re: What to work on? [Re: sk8shorty01]
Jon-jon Offline
Bumper Bowler

Haha, maybe i do have long arms. I haven't hit the floor on the way down, so I guess that's one good thing.

Maybe they just look long because my shoulder drops too low on the downswing? Would this cause any problems of any kind?

#91070 - 05/08/09 02:09 PM Re: What to work on? [Re: Jon-jon]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I think the ball goes that low because his upper body gets almost parallel to the ground.

Jonjon, you can have some forward lean in your approach, but I'd call yours excessive and early. And, you want to make sure most of it is eliminated in the finish. In the approach, your legs will be fairly extended, so your upper body can lower to get your head where it needs to be. When you slide, your legs bend, so your upper body comes to a more upright position to keep the head steady.

The ball seems to be released well with regards to not dropping/grabbing. Can't really see hand position.

It looks like you are pulling the ball up in the backswing - I could buy that it's free for the first part of the swing, but it looks like you pull it up, and then pull it back down and through.

Check out Rash's backswing here: arching pushaway, free swing, and the ball starts coming down before the hand - you can tell he is not pulling it through, but rather letting gravity move the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dktwKKiCW88

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#91079 - 05/08/09 03:23 PM Re: What to work on? [Re: cgeorg]
mikeyyy44805 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Ohio/m/US
Okay Sean is just a beast... Lol... But he is a great example!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01/12/21 05:35 PM
We encountered a problem. error
by BOSStull - 01/10/21 02:56 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 12/22/20 06:48 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.