BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8953 - 03/27/05 02:21 PM New bowling term?
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
I've been bowling for eight years and thought that I heard all the bowling lingo and phrases. I guess not. Friday night on the scratch league that I subbed in I heard this term that my team mate has mentioned and said the some people referred to me as a RINGER. Boy I never heard that term before. To me it sounds like someone's who very intimidating, but hey do I really care what some of those whiners in that league think about me. I've taken on a new attitude towards whiners and that's anyone who's intimidated by me and I see it on their faces or in the way they act, then that's good because I thrive on it and use it to kick their @** when it's time to bowl. Just wanted to know if anyone can tell me what the term RINGER means. :rolleyes:

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8954 - 03/27/05 07:21 PM Re: New bowling term?
Rusty 279 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 46/male/ New Orleans
Hi Mary Allen, What I perceive to be a ringer is someone who has been brought in as a sub for competetive reasons. I bowl in a league filled with high average bowlers. I've seen teams bring in a sub who is there for one reason ,To Win The Game. But you want to know somthing? I don't even worry about it. I need to concentrate on my game. I have no control over their game so why say anything. If people are labeling you as a "ringer," just smile and take it as a compliment. And if you happen to intimidate them, that's their problem not yours. Sounds like you're a great bowler, Maybe you can come to New Orleans and sub on my team! Keep knocking down!!...... Rusty279 thumbsup

#8955 - 03/27/05 08:53 PM Re: New bowling term?
The GDF Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 36 / M / England
Mary, Rusty is spot on with his definition of a Ringer. It is a term used in a number of sports, and usually refers to someone who is of an above average ability for the group within which they are competing. It's like bringing in a Major League baseball player for a Minor league game, or a Pro Football player for a College game.

Either way, I would take it as a compliment and simply shrug it off. The term is most often used by those who feel they are at a disadvantage when such a player is on the opposing team. In a scratch league however I am surprised that the term is being applied at all, as the whole point of scratch is to play to the best of your ability.

#8956 - 03/28/05 02:21 AM Re: New bowling term?
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
Thanks Rusty and Robert for assisting me knowing what that term means. Hey Robert my thoughts on a scratch league is defined the same way as yours. I feel very irritated when someone who isn't scratch caliber that joins a scratch league and does nothing but complian about bowlers who outaverage and out bowl someone like that. I'm not saying that the person isn't capable. What I'm saying is that they should stop complaining and try to learn something to better oneself. Heck I bowl with men and some do outaverage me but at the same time I try to learn something with the line that they're playing. That's what's wrong with a some of these bowlers today, they don't hardly practice and think that all they have to do is to buy a ball that will hook into the pocket to strike no matter how they throw the ball. They feel that they don't have to work hard like the rest of us bowlers who do know what it takes to be a great bowler. Especially like someone like myself who aspire to be a pro in a few years. I'm not referring to anyone on this forum just the kind of bowlers that I've ran into year after year.

#8957 - 03/28/05 11:56 AM Re: New bowling term?
mdmjdm Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 40/m/MD
Take it as a compliment if you are called a "ringer" I am called that all the time in the Monday league I sub in. I am only subbing in the league so I can get a good spot in it next year.

When they call me that, I just smile, and point out the fact to them that I will sub for almost ANY team in the league...if they need me to. I say "almost" because there are two teams who have NO CLASS, and won't ever get me to sub for them.

Maybe the fact that I carry about 213 in that league (2nd overall among EVERYONE) irritates some? Their problem, I am there to bowl well for the team I am on that night. I've helped the first place team win games, and I've done the same for the last place team (once over the first place team, in fact)

John

#8958 - 03/28/05 03:42 PM Re: New bowling term?
cheetah Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Seattle, WA/Right-handed
We have one team in our league that has one guy in particular bowl ONLY on position nights and the last night of the season. It's transparent what they're doing, but it doesn't give them an advantage. In fact, last time, he shot 100 pins under average for the series, and they ended up going from 1st to 3rd on the last night of the quarter (our season is split into 4 quarters).

#8959 - 03/28/05 05:57 PM Re: New bowling term?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Our league doesn't allow subs during position rounds or the last two weeks of bowling. So that takes care of that.

So the idea of bringing in a sub for such a purpose is eliminated. We also have average caps, so the sub cannot make the team they are subbing on exceed the average cap. And I've bowled in leagues were subs were not allowed to go from team to team week to week. If you subbed for team 5 (for example) then that's the only team you could sub for anytime in the future. Leagues will typically adopt a roving sub rule to allow people to sub on various teams throughout the season. But high average subs could be termed HORSES. Horses are players who habitually hit their average or better. Like a work horse, they pull the team to the finish with steady or better performance.

These are different then Ringers. Ringers tend to be improving bowlers, with "most improved average" patch potential. They have the absolute ability to shoot above their average on a regular basis. But Ringers are not as consistent as Horses. Usually, a Ringer, can only be such for one season, until their book average catches up with their current ability. That is unless constructive sandbagging takes place to ensure a lower average. This can be had by the Ringer laying off when the rest of the team seems to have the game well in hand, and performing when really needed.

Erin

#8960 - 03/28/05 07:25 PM Re: New bowling term?
cheetah Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Seattle, WA/Right-handed
I've also heard the high-average subs called "super subs". We had one come out of nowhere and bowl an 800. We have a rule that you have to be rostered with a minimum number of games in order to sub on a position round night. These guys just barely make the cut.

Speaking of the word ringer, isn't that what it's called if you land the horseshoe on the stake. In that case, Walter Ray may be the ultimate "ringer".

#8961 - 03/28/05 09:55 PM Re: New bowling term?
strikesbeme Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 40/M/Cincinnati, OH
LOL at Walter Ray being the ultimate "ringer".

However I must comment about Mary's "That's what's wrong with a some of these bowlers today, they don't hardly practice and think that all they have to do is to buy a ball that will hook into the pocket to strike no matter how they throw the ball. They feel that they don't have to work hard like the rest of us bowlers who do know what it takes to be a great bowler."

Mary is exactly 100% correct! I call "bowlers" (LOL) like this "Clueless Wonders". Just watch these clowns when they're faced with a REAL tournament shot like the ABC Nationals or something.

Idiots like Mary mentioned are not "bowlers" in the truest sense of the word. Thankfully these people keep paying their league fees every week, so the true bowlers among us can claim their prize money at the end of the year.

I don't mean to sound egotistical, but the fact is that so many people just buy a "hook-in-a-box" and expect to shoot 650 every night, while they don't even possess the basic fundamentals required to hit their target 50% of the time, or heaven-forbid... make a 10-pin. LOL.

The only thing that I try to do is to try to teach these people about the game and open their eyes to the proper way to deliver a bowling ball. Usually people like this don't want help, but every now and then you can find a player like this and really make a positive impact upon them - and the game in general.

Just my two-cents worth. (clink-clink)

Marty

#8962 - 03/28/05 10:28 PM Re: New bowling term?
mdmjdm Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 40/m/MD
Cheetah...that is what they call me in this league. Super sub...lol. Most do it with a smile on their face...but a few have a problem with it.

I honestly don't see why...in my circumstance. I bowl as well as I can, and will sub for almost all of the teams on the league. Truely a SUB...bowling to win games in place of an absent bowler. No agenda...just bowling.

By the way, the reason there are two teams I will not bowl on is simple. They don't belong in a men's league. One team has a bowler that has WALKED OUT in the middle of a game, because he was doing badly. The other team has no etiquette. NONE. In fact, tonight the anchor bowler got himself thrown out of the alley for good...he threw a shot overhand, and it bounced OVER the gutter and into the next lane, barely missing the scoring sensor.

Both teams know I will not sub for them, and they know WHY. They don't like me for it, and I don't expect them to understand my stance on the matter.

Also, most bowlers in the league know I am looking for a spot on a good team next year.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - 02/25/20 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.