BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89014 - 04/21/09 03:31 PM I joined PBAX League... Do I need another ball?
TheDude397 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/Upstate,NY
So I took the plunge and joined a summer PBAX league with my dad. I just finished my winter season shooting a 205 avg for the 2nd half (split-season) so with my big head I signed up to bowl with the big boys smile

Well our first night was interesting, they had the Chameleon out and I shot 167, 167, 161 - it was a lot of fun playing on what the pros play on, even though I didn't do so hot I had a great time and I know that I'm going to improve on those scores a lot by the end of summer.

Enough rambling - So my question is, what, if any, ball should I add to my arsenal? I'm throwing the Track Tantrum and Track Rising SE right now and both of them seemed to work decently on the Chameleon, albeit with a completely different line and release from my THS... The Rising SE is drilled for an arc'y type of motion and the Tantrum is snappier. Since I've never bowled on any of these patterns before what would you guys suggest I add? I'm not really loyal to any brand and Track products have been getting hard to come by around here anyway...

Thanks for any advice!
Career: 799 / Season: 799 (Grrr..)
Balls:
Track 715A, Track Tantrum
"Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless"

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#89019 - 04/21/09 03:53 PM Re: I joined PBAX League... Do I need another ball? [Re: TheDude397]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
The Storm Thunder line made quite a few shows this year, not just the Hy-Road, but the T-Road Solid and Pearl made a couple as well. The 2D made a few as well. The One Pearl, The Cell, Cell Pearl or Rogue Cell may help as well.

The one thing that I would suggest is that you try to figure out the pattern for yourself. The Chameleon as it turns out is one of the few that rewards creativity, so it is a good one to start with. Also keep in mind that the patterns may not be the freshest and the lanes may still have some lane memory.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#89023 - 04/21/09 04:08 PM Re: I joined PBAX League... Do I need another ball? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
TheDude397 Offline
League Bowler

Heh, "creativity" is the strongest part of my game smile (that's if what I do can be called creative and not just "lucky")
I did notice a bunch of the guys throwing the Dimension and 2nd Dimension as well as the NVD and Twisted Fury, but I was scoring as well or better than them so who knows if those were the right balls last night.
They do strip the lanes and put down fresh oil for our league but last night our league was a total mess - low turnout led to teams dropping out to join the bigger money scratch league and other teams that had signed up never showed so we got to practice for a half hour before scoring was turned on, by the time the 3rd game rolled around I had a nice line worked out but I was pretty worn out by then smile
Anyway, I figure I should mention, my style is tweener leaning towards cranker with speed around 17mph and on a THS I use a big hook, on the Chameleon last night I played 3rd arrow with the breakpoint around 4th/5th board...
Balls:

#89028 - 04/21/09 04:25 PM Re: I joined PBAX League... Do I need another ball? [Re: TheDude397]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

Those are a lot of the big name balls that have been out for the last year, year and half or so. They may work. I would also take into account who is throwing them and how before basing a decision of them. The Twisted Furys really haven't impressed me that much. As for the creativity, sometimes luck definately helps. I know spare shooting will definately need to be a staple in this league. If you have a plastic spare ball, it will probably become your best friend.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#89052 - 04/21/09 06:51 PM Re: I joined PBAX League... Do I need another ball? [Re: ]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH, browser crash with a decent size post.

Ok to try this again. I might be doing a PBA league this summer as well. It's a 8 week Sunday morning league which means all 5 of the animal patterns and then probably the US Open, TOC and I'm not sure what the eighth would be. I doubt any of the big dogs will really be in it. There is suppose to be literally no prize fund, just $10 a week for 4 games. It's almost like practice with a little bit of competition thrown in. I will be going in with a maximum of 4 balls, and one of those is a spare ball. The newest is my Hy-Road, the oldest is a 11 year old Track Triton Elite and the fourth ball is a 5 year old Columbia Trooper.

Luckily I have access to a spinner so I can see a lot of surface adjustments to try to get a good reaction but it's going to be all for fun anyways.
HS:763

#89055 - 04/21/09 06:54 PM Re: I joined PBAX League... Do I need another ball? [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

Cal the eighth could be the [censored] Weber pattern or maybe one of the Kegel patterns like the Dead Man's Curve or something less fn like a modified scorpion or Cheetah pattern.

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (04/21/09 07:07 PM)

#89179 - 04/22/09 10:56 AM Re: I joined PBAX League... Do I need another ball? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
TheDude397 Offline
League Bowler

Oh, I have no doubt that the guys I saw throwing those balls were average bowlers at best. I know at least two of them avg 170 on a house shot this past season even tho they carry 5 balls each to the lanes every week and swear and yell that the lanes are oiled wrong.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what type of ball will be needed as the season progresses - the balls I have (Tantrum, Rising SE) worked alright on the Chameleon, well the SE left a lot of 9 pins on pocket shots, just kept hooking right past it...

I'll admit I might be a bit biased against Storm, my first ball was a Storm RazorWire and even tho I used it for years I never really liked it - probably time to give them another shot tho... I did notice the 2nd Dimension on TV a lot this year but I know my Pro Shop has a Virtual Gravity in stock - does anyone have any opinions on how those roll on the different PBA shots?

I think if anything, the Chameleon showed me I might need a real heavy oil ball. I made the mistake of having my Rising SE drilled for a weak/arc motion which was nice for THS but I think I might need something a bit stronger for 'real' oil patterns. My Track Tantrum seems very very strong on a THS (hook the whole lane) but I can pretty much play straight up the 5th board with it on the Chameleon... Learning these new patterns is really a lot of fun

Our league is 15 weeks, 3 weeks of each PBA animal pattern so just as I figure one out (hopefully) it's on to the next. I've got a homebuilt spinner (constructed out of an old circular saw and a potentiometer) so I can also play with the coverstock a lot on whatever balls I have.
Balls:

#89197 - 04/22/09 12:06 PM Re: I joined PBAX League... Do I need another ball? [Re: TheDude397]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
Dude-

Rule of thumb when bowling on PBA patterns is to have a ball with a smooth backend reaction for when the pattern is fresh. Balls that offer alot of carry power on THS can be tough to keep in the pocket for us mere mortals early on a sport pattern. Think T-Road Solid, original Dimension, original Cell, or something along those lines from another company. Once some dry starts to show up to the outside as the lanes open up, you might be able to switch to something like your Rising SE.

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Today at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.