BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8870 - 01/29/05 11:20 AM Looking for Tournaments
EddieJ300 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 43/M/Ohio
I use to live on the east cost near Philly. There was an ABT Tournament every weekend in both Philly and Jersey and about one scratch tournament a month. But since I move here (Toledo Ohio area) I haven't been able to find much unless I drive 4 or 5 hours. There are a bunch of bowling centers in the Toledo Area but Zero Tournaments. And this is what sent me to the web looking for info and suggestions. I am surprised that ABT has never set up shop in Toledo. It would be a "Big Hit"! I am also surprised that the local ABC Association does nothing to encourage local tournaments.

Id really like to hear you comments and suggestions.

Thanks

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8871 - 01/30/05 09:50 PM Re: Looking for Tournaments
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Any bowling proprietor can set up a local tournament. You need to talk to them and see if they have a reason not to do it.

#8872 - 01/31/05 11:32 AM Re: Looking for Tournaments
EddieJ300 Offline
Bantam

We have talked to the local proprietors and our local ABC and no one cares to do much of anything.

#8873 - 01/31/05 10:38 PM Re: Looking for Tournaments
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Did anyone have a reason NOT to do it? Have they had bad turn outs in the past?

#8874 - 02/01/05 09:09 AM Re: Looking for Tournaments
EddieJ300 Offline
Bantam

Not about the past. I have lived here for almost 4 years. There have been Zero Tournaments!

#8875 - 02/03/05 11:44 PM Re: Looking for Tournaments
Coach04 Offline
Legend

What part of Ohio are you in?

#8876 - 02/06/05 10:41 AM Re: Looking for Tournaments
EddieJ300 Offline
Bantam

Toledo

#8877 - 02/06/05 03:46 PM Re: Looking for Tournaments
Coach04 Offline
Legend

June 18-19 and 25-26 The Buckeye 600 Singles tournament is in Toledo.

On June 25 The Ohio Womens 700 Club Singles is in Toledo.

Of course the Famous Hoinke Classic is in Cincy.

The 40 frame game tournament is in Toledo at Westland lanes.

Miricle Lanes has taken over the tournaments and leagues from the bankrupt University Lanes.

Bay Center Recreation hosts the Toledo Womens Bowling tournaments.

The Seniors tournament is at Westland.

Cloverleaf Lanes in Independence Ohio hosts the Break the Bank tournament, with a $16,000 first prize.

For 95 years the Greater Toledo Bowling Association has conducted the annual city tournament in Toledo.

Southwyck Lanes in Toledo hosts the PBA tournaments.

I gathered this from a quick Google search, maybe some of it is useful...

#8878 - 02/07/05 11:16 AM Re: Looking for Tournaments
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
Coach,

Sad to say, MANY centers are not interested in hosting tournaments these days. When you have tournament clubs requesting outlandishly low lineage, specific lane conditions, dark pairs, etc. why bother?

Glow bowling can go until 2 or 3 in the morning, and birthday parties can start as early as 10 am. I suppose a well-meaning proprietor could try to squeeze a tournament in between there, but not too likely.

#8879 - 02/07/05 07:38 PM Re: Looking for Tournaments
Coach04 Offline
Legend

Even worse now that Cosmic bowling is dying out... A lot of proprietors are wishing they had kept their leagues to pay the bills.

I talk with a lot of proprietors around the country, and when big companies quit sponsoring leagues for their employees, bowling centers threw up their hands and went to Cosmic, or Rockin' Bowl, abandoning what leagues they had left. The houses that continued catering to leagues during the week, and kept the open bowling for the weekends, are weathering the storm much better.

But none the less there are tournaments all around the country, it is just harder to find ones that are fair, and above board. Advertising of tournaments seems to have gone by the wayside, you have to visit houses and look for flyer's now. Of course there is always word of mouth, if you talk to the right bowlers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 11/28/20 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 11/28/20 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.