BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#88325 - 04/16/09 11:12 PM Pinky... unintentional pressure at fingernail
5280_Lifestyle Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 35/ M/ Denver, CO
When I bowl, whether I keep my pinky out or tuck it in, I release the ball in such a way that I apply a lot of pressure where the left side of my fingernail meets my skin. I've been getting sores there, and the last time I bowled I actually drew blood.

Has this happened to you before? What do I need to stop doing so that my pinky finger isn't a problem anymore? I was getting lessons for awhile and then I had to stop due to lack of spending cash. I asked my coach about it and he suggested I keep my pinky out (I usually keep it tucked in). It didn't make any difference.

Nicholas

HG: 286
HS: 668

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#88330 - 04/17/09 12:44 AM Re: Pinky... unintentional pressure at fingernail [Re: 5280_Lifestyle]
spdarr Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 44/M/Malaysia
Hi Nicholas ... your 1st post eh? Welcome!

I faced a similar problem, but instead of moving the pinky out and in (these didn't work), I fold in my pinky. Pros do that too! It will get the ball to skid further I guess, but save your pinky. Some people said it hurts, but you can put plaster on the pinky. You could also buy gloves if you want too. Hope this helps

#88343 - 04/17/09 02:21 AM Re: Pinky... unintentional pressure at fingernail [Re: spdarr]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/WI
If you are putting a lot of pressure on the pinky something isnt right in the release or way you have the ball gripped I would imagine?

Do you have a video of your release or anything? Someone else may have an idea of what it is, Im still new to these things.

Do do you put your pinky close to your ring finger or have it spread out far on the ball? something is putting a lot of pressure on it when it shouldnt.
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Avg:185
HG: 245
Series: 610
Storm League
Avg: 181
HG: 224
Series: 595

#88354 - 04/17/09 05:12 AM Re: Pinky... unintentional pressure at fingernail [Re: Shale]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
This is usually caused by you trying to add revs to the ball by hitting it with your fingers. If your pinkie is spread away from the ring finger and you hit it, the ring finger will slip and rub against the ball. (see photos below)

Try to keep your pinkie next to your ring finger (you did say the same thing happens even if you keep it there, but your pinkie probably spreads away from the ring finger some time during the swing). You can tape the bases of your ring and pinkie fingers together to prevent this.

Also, by getting your hand more under the ball before the release, you will automatically hit the ball less.

Attachments
pinkie_slips2.jpg

Bowling klub

#88437 - 04/17/09 06:26 PM Re: Pinky... unintentional pressure at fingernail [Re: Luksa]
5280_Lifestyle Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 35/ M/ Denver, CO
I am still a work in progress in the release area so I'm guessing that it will eventually work itself out when I learn to keep my hand under the ball. I'll try folding my pinkie and I'll try taping the base of my ring and pinkie together. Whatever feels best or seems to work best will be what I'll go with.

Thanks!

HG: 286
HS: 668

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - Today at 07:28 AM
This is a damned shame
by goobee - Today at 01:00 AM
Ultimate Adjustable Thumb
by EdW - 07/05/20 08:43 PM
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 07/03/20 04:35 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 06/27/20 09:00 PM
Quitting my League
by mmalsed - 06/22/20 12:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 06/20/20 05:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.