BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79476 - 02/11/09 10:56 AM rolling over thumb hole
tonyj Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 42/m/phila
OK i have a quick question. My daughter stopped throwing a backup ball this year and committed to a standard release. She currently has a 12lb jolt fingertip and her track line is about 4 inches away from her fingers holes but either slices the thumb sometimes to the right and sometimes to the left. My question is can this be fixed with a different pinout or is it directly related to her release?? Her current ball has a very short pin less than an inch and it is positioned about 1 inch to the right and 1 inch below her ring finger with the cg almost on top of the pin.
15 Lane #1 Buzzsaw Supernova XP 2000 Abralon
16 lb ebonite Raid
16 lb Complete NV
16 lb Natural (just puchaced for my new winter league on wood lanes)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#79478 - 02/11/09 11:03 AM Re: rolling over thumb hole [Re: tonyj]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
With that track line it sounds like she is not behind the ball at release. I would guess her wrist is breaking right before she gets to the ankle and coming on top of the ball. This would cause similar symptoms so I would say thats the problem, but it is definitely a release problem, not a ball or pin problem. Keep working with her, maybe even take a video so you can slow it down and break the entire motion down and see where any faults lye. Just an idea, and remember to be patient with it as she is just re-inventing her entire game.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#79481 - 02/11/09 11:23 AM Re: rolling over thumb hole [Re: sk8shorty01]
tonyj Offline
Junior Master

She is not behind the ball but rather her thumb is around 9-10 and her fingers around 3. She bowled with the high school team and they really messed her up this year. At the end of the season she was throwing the ball spinning it backwards. She would twist her wrist on he downswing so her thumb was about 7 O'clock and her fingers around 1 O'clock at the point of release and the ball would actually spin backwards as it headed down the lane. She wants to make the All public next year and go to the state tournament. She averaged 146 this year but needs to bring that up about 10 pins. I will keep working with her on the release. we are going to the lanes tonight. Thanks again
16 lb ebonite Raid
16 lb Complete NV

#79483 - 02/11/09 11:31 AM Re: rolling over thumb hole [Re: tonyj]
A K
Unregistered

have her try to stay behind the ball until its at the ankle and then start to turn the wrist.

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip20.htm

#79488 - 02/11/09 12:01 PM Re: rolling over thumb hole [Re: ]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Also remember that in order to keep her fingers in a strong position (6-7 oclock) she has to keep her wrist in a strong position. It might not be a bad idea to buy a cheap wrist support to show her exactly what the feeling should be. I wouldn't recommend them for a long term fix, but rather a training tool to teach how the motion should feel with the wrist in a strong position. Good luck!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#79493 - 02/11/09 12:14 PM Re: rolling over thumb hole [Re: sk8shorty01]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Don't have her try to turn the ball at all. It will happen on its own. Have her picture pushing, or rolling the ball forward down the lane. That should keep her hand behind the ball.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#79545 - 02/11/09 05:44 PM Re: rolling over thumb hole [Re: tonyj]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
What could be happening is that because your daughter previously threw a backup ball that in attempting to throw a hook or curve ball she is close to throwing a full roller. A full roller is achieved by having your fingers in the 5 o'clock to 4 o'clock position but instead of turning counterclockwise at the release point she is probably turning the ball clockwise at the release point, say from 4:30 to 5:00 as her instinct is to throw a backup even though her fingers are in a position to throw a hook.
A full roller's track is between the thumbhole and the fingerholes. If you don't come out of it conducive to a full roller, expect to throw a 'thumper". Walter Ray sometimes throws a thumper at spares - probably the result of his hand turning a bit clockwise in an attempt to go straight.

My son when he was eleven threw a backup ball. Despite my efforts I could not break him of the habit. Finally I bought him a Lady Cobra which solved his backup problem. Unfortunately when he entered high school he gave up bowling. The fact that your daughter's ball track is so erratic tells me that either she is not paying attention as to where her fingers are initially in her stance or her delivery changes from shot to shot. A small investment in an inexpensive wrist support like the Weber Wristmaster might help solve her problem.

Edited by johnw1 (02/11/09 05:51 PM)

#88085 - 04/15/09 02:22 PM Re: rolling over thumb hole [Re: johnw1]
tonyj Offline
Junior Master

Just a follow up. We bought her a new ball a Jolt Particle and had it drilled 3 3/8 3 3/8. We bought her a Robbie Wrist supporter. We worked over a couple of weekends on her release. I asked her to imagine pushing the ball with her palm as she released it. She still tends to get close to the thumbhole and even thumps it once in a while but overall her trackline and ball reaction have greatly improved. The trackline has moved closer to her index finger but still very close th the thumb. Her average is up about 16 pins in her winter league since the new ball and working on her release. We also worked on her timing a bit as she had a tendency to get her feet to the line behind the ball. She has shot a 180 game just about every week. And has had weeks that she is averaging 170 or better. Thanks for the information. She is so happy with bowling right now her team just finished in 1st place and playoffs start next week.
16 lb ebonite Raid
16 lb Complete NV

#88092 - 04/15/09 03:27 PM Re: rolling over thumb hole [Re: tonyj]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Awesome, glad we could help.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#88120 - 04/15/09 07:25 PM Re: rolling over thumb hole [Re: cgeorg]
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
Something i did to measure where my fingers were on the release. Used a columbia wrist/hand glove. I put a white piece of tape on the center of the back of my hand. When i practiced i would look and if i saw white, i knew i was turning my hand too far over. After a couple of times. That was all it took to get my fingers back to releasing at 3 oclock.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
what will become of AMF
by Dennis Michael - 06/10/18 05:29 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 05/23/18 04:38 PM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.