BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8788 - 08/15/02 09:55 AM State Amateur Championships
Leandra Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 33/F/Arcadia, WI
Has anyone bowled this type of tournament before? if so, what should I expect?

Leandra love

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8789 - 08/15/02 06:29 PM Re: State Amateur Championships
usr bin geek Offline

A/S/L: 37/m/Burlington, VT
Ideally, you should expect challenging conditions and good competition.

It can vary a lot from state to state, but that's what it should be like.
Founder

Since your questions may also be of benefit to others please post them to the board.

Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon.com Wishlist

#8790 - 08/15/02 07:20 PM Re: State Amateur Championships
Rocket to the Pocket Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Some bowling center in Vermont
I bowled in this tournament for the first time last year. Expect to average anywhere from 15 to 25 pins a game under average if the sport shot is being used (unless you've been bowling on it, obviously). My first shot in game one, I left a solid 7 pin, and thought to myself, "This isn't so bad..." The spare shot ended up in the left gutter at about 50 feet. For the 16 games, I was about 24 a game under my house shot average (197/173), with a high game of 206 (I had four 200s).

CCBA Director and Yankee Lanes Center League Sec'y

Not your average everyday bowler (that's for sure)

#8791 - 08/16/02 11:19 AM Re: State Amateur Championships
Anakin Skywalker Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Jedi have no need for this inf...
I would definitely expect to have to concentrate harder and longer than you usually would in a league or tournament. The lane conditions will not be easy and there are going to be times when you will be HAPPY to leave a solid 10 pin or a 7 pin because it means that you're in the pocket.

Make sure that you are sharp on your spare game. You've still got about three weeks left to prepare for it so I'd get to practicing if you haven't already.

The most important thing, NO MATTER WHAT, is to not get frustrated. Once you do that, it is much harder to get back on track.

"Be mindful of your thoughts, Anakin. They betray you." laugh

Algebra for Prebowlers:
15X + 21EX = 900

#8792 - 08/19/02 10:12 AM Re: State Amateur Championships
Leandra Offline
Junior Coach

My normal bowling center has extremely difficult lanes to begin with, they are never the same day to day.

Believe me, I have been practicing just about every day when my schedule permits. I have been picking up about 95% of my spares and I have been averaging about 185-200 when I really try.

Most of the time I am just trying to hit the same spot over and over again to ensure my accuracy and then picking up the spare for more practice.

I am expecting to come back from this tournament proud of myself even if I don't get the championship.

Thanks for all of your replies! thumbsup

Leandra love

#8793 - 08/19/02 03:57 PM Re: State Amateur Championships
Leandra Offline
Junior Coach

The nearest sport bowling facility is 4 hours away from me. How do I prepare for the sport bowling conditions that will be at this tournament? confused

Any advice would be great!
Leandra love

#8794 - 08/19/02 08:34 PM Re: State Amateur Championships
The GDF Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 36 / M / England
Leandra,

2 things to note.

1) Unless you can actually convince your centre to put out a sport condition, you'll more than likely have practice on what you're given as a day to day shot. From what you've said in your posts, this sounds quite challenging as it is, and yet you're still bowling well on it.

2) George Freeman wrote this article in his tips page on the sport condition. To quote him from that article

... there is no one "Sport Condition". The sport program is a different set of criteria that must be adhered to for a particular pattern to be deemed "sport compliant". To oversimplify, a sport condition is a pattern that has a 2:1 ratio of oil or less.

From this you can see that just because you've bowled on a sport condition in one centre, doesn't mean you'll get exactly the same shot in another centre. The sport condition (like all patterns) is centre specific and as such cannot be relied upon to be consistent across different centres (and sometimes across different lanes)

Essentially, if you are capable of making your spares, and (as Anakin said) having a strong mental game, you should do well, irrespective of whether you've seen the condition before.

Best of luck.

Regards

#8795 - 08/21/02 05:34 PM Re: State Amateur Championships
Leandra Offline
Junior Coach

The owners are new to the bowling industry(just bought the place in Feb) and are still working on getting the oiling down.

Thanks for the advice...I have been trying to work on my mental game. That is what will kill me if I don't.

Have a wonderful day!!
Leandra

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
no one on for 5 days
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:06 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.