BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87852 - 04/14/09 06:04 AM I kissed my sister again
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I have been bowling for 5 years, now, since my return. I have gone through ups and downs. I remember the downs, because they really bothered me that something I never did before had crept into my routine to cause my dilemma. And, it was tough to get rid of it. It is so easy to develop a bad habit, that often you don't even know that you are doing it. All you see is that you are having a bad night, and you can't stop it.

The good nights, or the ups, remind me of doing the right things. Why? Because I have plaques, rings, and awards that remind me of them. They tell me what I could do, if I do everything correctly. And, it is very rewarding to look on my wall and see those awards. I even have the lane print out of some of those scores to remind me.

Well, lately, and within the past 4 weeks, I have scored well in a particular league. I shot my first 800, and followed that with a 777 and a 299 game. But, those accomplishments seem bittersweet. Why? Because they were in a non-sanctioned league and on an easy shot. Yeah, I was able to read the lanes, and repeat the shots time after time. But, it seems that it really didn't count because, I have no recognition for them. Those USBC awards really do mean something to me. There is some value to a sanctioned league and honor score awards. They last for a long time on my wall.

Now, I feel like I just kissed my sister. I did something that was enjoyable, but it really didn't mean much. It lasted for as long as the kiss.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#87885 - 04/14/09 09:57 AM Re: I kissed my sister again [Re: Dennis Michael]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Congrats on shooting so well. Sanctioned or not, still an accomplishment.

#87891 - 04/14/09 10:08 AM Re: I kissed my sister again [Re: General Pounder]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Dennis we just need a screen shot of the title to use at a later date smile .

I also enjoy the awards but hey bowling good is bowling good. Maybe the shot is so easy because the league doesn't really matter so you are more free flowing and don't over think your shots.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#87893 - 04/14/09 10:23 AM Re: I kissed my sister again [Re: sk8shorty01]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Chicagoland
I was totally expecting this to be a botted spam posting based on the title LOL

PAP: 5 1/8 x 3/4 up || Speed: 17.78 || Revs: 314 || Rotation: 65* || Tilt: 15*

#87898 - 04/14/09 11:28 AM Re: I kissed my sister again [Re: lmfcoa]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Dennis,
Although they were in an unsanctioned league, you still had to repeat shots, which as you know can be difficult at times. So take some solace in the fact that you read the lanes correctly, chose the right ball, and repeated shots. Maybe the "practice" on the unsanctioned league will pay dividends on your other leagues, and you will have more acknowledgements to show for it. wink

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#87910 - 04/14/09 12:23 PM Re: I kissed my sister again [Re: Dennis Michael]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
I have been bowling for 5 years, now, since my return. I have gone through ups and downs. I remember the downs, because they really bothered me that something I never did before had crept into my routine to cause my dilemma. And, it was tough to get rid of it. It is so easy to develop a bad habit, that often you don't even know that you are doing it. All you see is that you are having a bad night, and you can't stop it.

The good nights, or the ups, remind me of doing the right things. Why? Because I have plaques, rings, and awards that remind me of them. They tell me what I could do, if I do everything correctly. And, it is very rewarding to look on my wall and see those awards. I even have the lane print out of some of those scores to remind me.

Well, lately, and within the past 4 weeks, I have scored well in a particular league. I shot my first 800, and followed that with a 777 and a 299 game. But, those accomplishments seem bittersweet. Why? Because they were in a non-sanctioned league and on an easy shot. Yeah, I was able to read the lanes, and repeat the shots time after time. But, it seems that it really didn't count because, I have no recognition for them. Those USBC awards really do mean something to me. There is some value to a sanctioned league and honor score awards. They last for a long time on my wall.

Now, I feel like I just kissed my sister. I did something that was enjoyable, but it really didn't mean much. It lasted for as long as the kiss.

Congrats on the 800! Regardless of it happening on a house shot not everyone can do it. I'm hoping for my first one someday.

I can relate to what you're saying. Since I've started bowling again this past year I also seen many ups and downs. When times were good and I shot back to back 7's and many high 6's I still felt un-fullfilled because I felt that I should be bowling those scores anyway since it's a house shot. Then when times are bad because of creeping bad habits and/or lane conditions and I'm struggling for a 600 I feel frustrated. The frustration during bad times comes from the fact I know I can do better because of past performance during the good times. I've worked my way up to a 201 average through the year and I say to myself "so what I can't even get a free cup of coffee for that effort".

Right now I'm going through a litte slump again and for the first time since I started bowling again I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the expense and the effort. Then I say to myself what would be doing otherwise with my free time watching some stupid show on TV or something equally as meaningless? Most of us here on this forum will never be pros or big tournament winners but I guess being in leagues is a night out with occasional self satisfaction. I don't recall any TV show that gave me more satisfaction than my first 700 series during league even if it doesn't last long.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

#87915 - 04/14/09 12:46 PM Re: I kissed my sister again [Re: VFF57]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I think the big thing to remember is that you have to relish little accomplishments, even if they seem silly because it will greatly improve your confidence. For instance, you might shoot 550 one night and be a little upset, but you did make all of your single pins, or maybe you hit the pocket with 90% of your first balls. Remember that your goals should be based on performance, not outcome. Well for the most part.

It is said that 80% of your goals should be performance goals, these goals are things like:

- I want to hit the pocket 90% of the time.
- I want to make a good shot on at least 28 strike opportunities tonight.
- I want to make 85% of my single pins.
- I want to keep the ball in play and give myself a chance.

10% of your goals should be long term goals. This is because if you have to many long term goals you begin to lose sight of the "light at the end of the tunnel". It seems as if you are not making any progress. These could be things such as:

- I want to make a Regional event some time this season.
- I want to cash in at least one tournament this year.
- I want to make it through the TQR this season.

The final 10% of your goals should be outcome goals. This is because outcome goals tend to cause a bowler to "count pins" before they fall and start pushing for score. The thoughts start popping up that "I need to strike out from here on out because of that open" or similar and it causes undue tension in the body. Outcome goals can be any of the following:

- I want to average 200 this season.
- I want to shoot 650 tonight.
- I want to shoot at least one 700 this year.
- I want to shoot a 250 today.

Every little stepping stone is important so make sure you don't miss one or you might stumble and fall flat on your face. Keep your eye on the finish line but don't forget to watch your step along the way.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#87924 - 04/14/09 01:42 PM Re: I kissed my sister again [Re: sk8shorty01]
AmpleSound Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/M/CO
LOL what a mind boggling title. Great bowling though Dennis, even if the shot is easy. An 800 means you were very consistent too! I understand the part about it not being sanctioned, but hey you still shot an 800.
Columbia Plastic - (Spares/Dry)

My best:
HGS - 300
HSS - 769

#87935 - 04/14/09 02:40 PM Re: I kissed my sister again [Re: AmpleSound]
Mattdean76 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/NY
All I could think was "what the heck?" and now I understand it. Still it is an accomplishment, easy shot or not, it is very hard to do. Now aim for it in a sanctioned league.

15# Brunswick Power Groove Dry R
15# Global 900 Creature S40
14# Faball Purple Hammer (spare ball)
15# Rotogrip Mars Pearl

#87972 - 04/14/09 05:59 PM Re: I kissed my sister again [Re: sk8shorty01]
VFF57 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 50's/M/NJ
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
I think the big thing to remember is that you have to relish little accomplishments, even if they seem silly because it will greatly improve your confidence. For instance, you might shoot 550 one night and be a little upset, but you did make all of your single pins, or maybe you hit the pocket with 90% of your first balls. Remember that your goals should be based on performance, not outcome. Well for the most part.

It is said that 80% of your goals should be performance goals, these goals are things like:

- I want to hit the pocket 90% of the time.
- I want to make a good shot on at least 28 strike opportunities tonight.
- I want to make 85% of my single pins.
- I want to keep the ball in play and give myself a chance.

10% of your goals should be long term goals. This is because if you have to many long term goals you begin to lose sight of the "light at the end of the tunnel". It seems as if you are not making any progress. These could be things such as:

- I want to make a Regional event some time this season.
- I want to cash in at least one tournament this year.
- I want to make it through the TQR this season.

The final 10% of your goals should be outcome goals. This is because outcome goals tend to cause a bowler to "count pins" before they fall and start pushing for score. The thoughts start popping up that "I need to strike out from here on out because of that open" or similar and it causes undue tension in the body. Outcome goals can be any of the following:

- I want to average 200 this season.
- I want to shoot 650 tonight.
- I want to shoot at least one 700 this year.
- I want to shoot a 250 today.

Every little stepping stone is important so make sure you don't miss one or you might stumble and fall flat on your face. Keep your eye on the finish line but don't forget to watch your step along the way.

That's a very good and optimistic way of dealing with the highs and lows and staying motivated. I guess some good can be found in what seemed to be a bad night by meeting some mini goals.
-------------------------
Motiv: Raptor P7
MoRich: Aggressive Motion
Storm: VG,Crossroad,NP
Hammer: Spike,Psycho,Raw Anger,
Cherry Vibe,Taboo Plastic/Spare,
Black Hammer
Columbia: White Dot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.