BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86922 - 04/06/09 08:15 PM Side Approach/Release video
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/WI
Release

Side View

I havn't been able to try out the tennis shoe on the right foot yet, guess those are still in storage. I have been working on bending less at the waist but it is a real battle to make it feel natural, will post videos on that when I get it down a little better.

Edited by Shale (04/06/09 08:15 PM)
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Avg:185
HG: 245
Series: 610
Storm League
Avg: 181
HG: 224
Series: 595

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#86923 - 04/06/09 08:18 PM Re: Side Approach/Release video [Re: Shale]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

The Psycho is new, today, the fingers were lose causing my to over-insert and my span would shrink and my thumb would get stuck out, to explain the first shot in the first video where I loft it.
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Storm League

#86924 - 04/06/09 08:31 PM Re: Side Approach/Release video [Re: Shale]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
The side view video needs to be on the ball side and needs to show you completely through the release area.

From what I can see you bend too much at the waist, as well as let your arm get too far away from your body throughout the swing. In the first video it looks like you are coming around the ball too soon without getting the thumb out of the ball first.
HS:763

#86926 - 04/06/09 08:37 PM Re: Side Approach/Release video [Re: Shale]
Aaron Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Singapore
Shale, do not take what I say as gospel as I am a beginner but in your video you look remarkably similar to me at the foul line. Or, I should say, the way I was unitl recently. I notice that you fall back to your ball side after the release. I was doing this as well (only more violently). My coach has been working with me on what he says are my three biggest issues; they are timing, balance and, my worst issue, weight transfer onto my slide foot at the foul line which he says is primarily the result of bad timing. I am certain that some of the more qualified persons on this site (meaning, nearly everyone on this site!) will comment further but it looks like you never get your weight onto your slide foot at all.

#86928 - 04/06/09 08:55 PM Re: Side Approach/Release video [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

Originally Posted By: infernocal
The side view video needs to be on the ball side and needs to show you completely through the release area.

From what I can see you bend too much at the waist, as well as let your arm get too far away from your body throughout the swing. In the first video it looks like you are coming around the ball too soon without getting the thumb out of the ball first.

I will keep trying to get a video on ball side but its hard when there is anyone at all at the lanes. Missing the end of the release was an oversight/issue with trying to line up the camera myself.

I definitely have an issue with overbending at the waist. I do think I come around the ball before the thumb gets out, definitely something I need to work on as well, thanks.
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Storm League

#86942 - 04/07/09 05:04 AM Re: Side Approach/Release video [Re: Shale]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I agree with what's been said so far. I would like to see you get the weight transfer issue fixed before you move onto anything else.

This will probably involve the tennis shoe or just spending the money for a good pair of bowling shoes, right handed that is.

You should start by doing the one step drill:

Start with your feet together about 3 or 4ft from the foul line.

Put your fingers in the ball and take your normal stance.

Start the swing by keeping the weight of the ball in your left hand lift the ball slightly upward and out toward your target (target doesn't matter at this point aim at anything) and let the ball drop down into the swing, your elbow shouldn't straighten out until the ball is in line with your upper arm. As it is now, you extend the ball way out in front of you. You want to have a short round drop into the swing, this builds up momentum and prevents the need for pulling the ball back like you do. Let the ball swing, when it gets to the top of the back swing, bend your right knee and slide your left foot in front of your right foot, the right foot then goes back and gets out of the way of the ball. When you get comfortable you can push more with your right foot like a skate boarder starting on a flat surface.

When you get comfortable with the one step, try the two step: Take a step back, when the ball gets to your right hip, step and bend the right foot then slide your left foot in front of your right foot.

When you get comfortable with that try the three step, take another step back everything else is the same, except when the ball gets to your right leg, take a step with your left foot, then bend the right knee and push into the slide with your left foot sliding in front of your right.

When you get comfortable with that you are ready for a full four step approach, Start the ball with your right foot, let it drop into the swing, you left foot should start as the ball gets to your right leg, your right foot should be quickly after that with the ball at hip level, then the slide in front of the right foot.

Post another video from the ball side and from behind when you feel like you have gotten this down. The slow motion really helps.

#86981 - 04/07/09 03:35 PM Re: Side Approach/Release video [Re: CoachJim]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks again for the help Coach. I am trying to visualize this, when you say a short round drop, and the elbow not straightening out until the ball is in line with my upper arm, does that mean my arm isnt straight until the ball is at the bottom of the swing? and I use the momentum of the ball straightening my arm on the down swing to gain some more speed?

Thanks again
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Storm League

#87144 - 04/08/09 07:49 PM Re: Side Approach/Release video [Re: Shale]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

Ok I tried to incorporate some of the tips Ive been given so far, here is a video from the front right, getting more knee bend and a little better balancen ow.

Edited by Shale (04/08/09 07:49 PM)
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Storm League

#87177 - 04/09/09 05:03 AM Re: Side Approach/Release video [Re: Shale]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I am seeing improvement, keep it up. Next try the one step delivery with your sliding foot pointing to the left. You want to feel like you are pushing your heel toward your target as you slide. Like this \ instead of /.

Pointing your slide foot left will square your hips and prevent you from twisting your hips open to the target line.

#87187 - 04/09/09 09:00 AM Re: Side Approach/Release video [Re: CoachJim]
Let1Hang Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 36/M/Akron, OH
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
Next try the one step delivery with your sliding foot pointing to the left. You want to feel like you are pushing your heel toward your target as you slide. Like this \ instead of /.

To confirm CoachJim's suggestion I recommend that you read the following article from Ron Clifton: http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip25.htm
HG: 276
HS: 727 (267,276,182)

Avg: 204
HG: 255
HS: 721

Avg: 194
HG: 263
HS: 679

Avg: 187
HG: 257
HS: 636

Career
LHG: 300 - 12/28/09
LHS: 727 (300,226,201) - 12/28/09
PHG: 268
PHS: 691

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
The price of new bowling balls
by Dennis Michael - 01/28/20 06:14 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 01/26/20 05:10 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.