BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86514 - 04/03/09 05:58 PM Foreign material
warhog19 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 49/m/Germany
Is it OK to apply a grip sack to ones ball on the approach and then bowl your opponents line in order to break down their line? Is this prohibited? It happened to me tonight after two good games. it broke down the lane in an accelerated manner.
Storm Rapid Fire #15
Roto Grip Rogue Cell #15
Hammer Razyr #15
Brunswick T-zone #14

HG 253
HS 661
AVG 202

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#86527 - 04/03/09 06:49 PM Re: Foreign material [Re: warhog19]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I don't know what the rules are where you are at, but in the US according to USBC rules that's a big NO in terms of foreign material on the ball. Now there is nothing wrong with trying to burn up an opponents line using a dull ball as long as it wasn't sanded after scoring started.
HS:763

#86657 - 04/04/09 09:56 PM Re: Foreign material [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I have seen pro bowlers on TV apply the grip sack to their thumb hole before shots. You can't leave anything on the outside of the ball though.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#86664 - 04/04/09 10:27 PM Re: Foreign material [Re: cgeorg]
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
It all depends, every league has it's own rules, and if it specificaly states it, you should not do it. USBC, FIQ,and FEMEBO (Mexican bowling federation) strictly prohibit and enforce that. You may aply some resin into the balls holes, but you must wipes the ball clean before your turn. The leagues where I bowl also prohibit any foreign substance on the surface of the ball, they even prohibit the use of easy slide ( that's because of the over use of some players, making the aproach very slipery)or even talc.

#86707 - 04/05/09 10:54 AM Re: Foreign material [Re: luisistaz]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
CG:

As long as you wipes it clean, your fine. At Nationals, you can't even touch your ball with a rosin ball. Even if you wipes it down. For years, I would tap my rosin ball on my fingers and thumb, then wipes the ball. After going to Nationals and not being able to do it, I got out of the habit.

#86708 - 04/05/09 12:36 PM Re: Foreign material [Re: General Pounder]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
You're right, GP. They even made an announcement in our squad at Nationals last year. One of the lane monitors came to our lanes and asked one bowler who laid his rosin bag on the bench, to put it away, final warning.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#86711 - 04/05/09 12:55 PM Re: Foreign material [Re: Dennis Michael]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I can see that - a lot of people are stupid, and would drop the bag, or puff powder all over the place, and it could get on other's equipment, or the approach.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#86718 - 04/05/09 02:13 PM Re: Foreign material [Re: cgeorg]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I keep my rosin bag behind the bowler area and grip it the whole time between shots. I set it down before I head to get my ball.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.