BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86468 - 04/03/09 11:40 AM Looking for help on releasing the ball down
Warmech Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 27/M/MO
This video shows me throwing 5 shots spread throughout a practice session. Any thoughts and critique are appreciated, particularly if they address my release into the lane.

Here is a link to a better version of the video on YouTube. This default video embedding has a different aspect ratio than the source video, reducing the video's quality.

Thanks!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#86471 - 04/03/09 12:20 PM Re: Looking for help on releasing the ball down [Re: Warmech]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
You are starting the ball in your push away a step late which is causing you to pull the ball back into the swing and then down to your release. The ball should move with your right foot and when your left foot (where you are starting it now) is on the floor the ball just be just behind your leg, just past straight down. I think if you start the ball earlier you will be suprised how much muscle you can take out of the swing and how accurate you will become.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#86477 - 04/03/09 01:07 PM Re: Looking for help on releasing the ball down [Re: sk8shorty01]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I saw the same thing. You might not want to start the ball a full step earlier, but at least half a step. You shouldn't pull the ball back (which it doesn't look like you're doing too much), or through (which you are definitely doing).

The result of pulling the ball, aside from inconsistency, is that your hand comes around the side and on top of the ball early, which gives you a weak release. If you let the ball swing from your shoulder, with gravity providing the acceleration, you can keep your hand behind the ball in a strong position, with the fingers below the equator, which will give you a much more powerful release.

Once you get the timing and swing cleaned up, I'd also work on getting a little bit more knee bend. You have good balance, but the ball is too far above the lane at the point of release. Get your hips lower so that the ball is only an inch or 2 from the lane at the release.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#86483 - 04/03/09 01:32 PM Re: Looking for help on releasing the ball down [Re: cgeorg]
Warmech Offline
Bantam

I appreciate both your suggestions on starting the ball sooner.

Originally Posted By: cgeorg
Once you get the timing and swing cleaned up, I'd also work on getting a little bit more knee bend.

About the knee bend, is this something I should be doing in my set up or trying to bend more just a the follow through? I'm not sure about which point in my approach I need to start working that in.

#86485 - 04/03/09 01:50 PM Re: Looking for help on releasing the ball down [Re: Warmech]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Your knee bend should progressively get more and more through the approach. You want to get a touch lower in each step and that will allow you to really use that power step to your advantage. If you can get into a compact position on the power step you will be able to "spring" out of it into the slide. Remember that you don't want to get taller as you come out of the power step, the word "spring" might not be the best option there. Maybe "explode" towards the line would be better haha...
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6

#86487 - 04/03/09 01:55 PM Re: Looking for help on releasing the ball down [Re: sk8shorty01]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
sk8's answer is good - I think the most important part is getting the deep knee bend in the slide/finish position. Your torso should be nearly upright (~15 degrees), so to get the ball lower you need to have your hips low, which is achieved through a deep knee bend.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#86496 - 04/03/09 03:24 PM Re: Looking for help on releasing the ball down [Re: sk8shorty01]
Warmech Offline
Bantam

Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
If you can get into a compact position on the power step you will be able to "spring" out of it into the slide. Remember that you don't want to get taller as you come out of the power step, the word "spring" might not be the best option there. Maybe "explode" towards the line would be better haha...

I'm confused about the power step and "exploding". I'm assuming the power step is the one before my slide step (the 4th step in my case) but what "explodes" on the slide step? I imagined myself coming out of a knee bend if I was "exploding" but that seems to contradict not getting taller.

Is there any PBA bowler I can find a video of or other videos on this site which you think are a good example?

Thank you both for your advice!

#86497 - 04/03/09 03:28 PM Re: Looking for help on releasing the ball down [Re: Warmech]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Here you go, 0:26 seconds shows a slow motion approach from Chris Barnes.

VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6

#86517 - 04/03/09 06:06 PM Re: Looking for help on releasing the ball down [Re: sk8shorty01]
Time-To-Roll Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: female, Port Angeles Wa. right...
Once you get over in the YouTube website type in- Tommy Jones release- he has a very good video. IMO
Time To Roll

#86532 - 04/03/09 08:43 PM Re: Looking for help on releasing the ball down [Re: Time-To-Roll]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
your next-to-last step should be short (just think about only bringing your foot next to your other foot - not really making a long step). Your right foot should step below your body, not in front of it. This will get your body weight above the right foot and that's how you are able to push yourself into the slide ("explode").

When you want a softer speed, you push yourself gently. When you want to add speed, just do a more pronounced push into the slide.

Remember: your next-to-last step needs to be short!

Bowling klub

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.