BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86386 - 04/02/09 05:57 PM Short video
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/WI
These two shots were back to back. One I let the ball outside, the other I didn't, and I am not sure what I am doing differently when this happens.

Ongoing Concerns:
Slide, foot turning in.
Straight swing (Ive now worked on just letting it swing free)
Position my hand is in before and then during release.

Sorry that its dark, still working with the new camera and software, will update with a better one later.

Tried adjusting lighting and slowing it down some more.

Edited by Shale (04/02/09 06:14 PM)
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Avg:185
HG: 245
Series: 610
Storm League
Avg: 181
HG: 224
Series: 595

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#86396 - 04/02/09 09:03 PM Re: Short video [Re: Shale]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Your swing is fairly straight, you are stepping to the left as you go into your slide, and you are sliding with your left leg straight.

Are you using right handed shoes? If you don't know what that means it means that the right shoe has a rubber sole for traction, and the left shoe has a slide pad. If you have the universal shoes then you have a slide pad on both the right and left shoe which is probably adding to your lack of traction which is causing you to be hesitant going into the slide and sliding side ways because of it. Try a clean tennis shoe or sneaker on your right foot and see if that makes a difference, if it does buy yourself a good pair of bowling shoes.

#86397 - 04/02/09 09:19 PM Re: Short video [Re: CoachJim]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I think the balance problem is the trail leg that doesn't point the toe to the left. You are heel left, when you should at the minimum have the toe back and to the left.

I also think you have too much body tilt. In stead of bending at the waist, think lower the hips. And stay down at release point. Try staying down until the ball hits the pins. Sometimes this happens when you watch the ball. The ball going down the lane and watching it do so, tend to make bowlers rise up. If you have to watch the ball (and I'm not sure you have to at this point) do so without moving your head and body, just your eyes.

You mentioned sending it right and the other not, and then not knowing why this happens. One reason it happens is because you do not stay fixed on your primary target long enough. I know this because you rise up watching the ball go down the lane. This takes your eyes off your primary target too soon.

Erin

#86400 - 04/02/09 10:18 PM Re: Short video [Re: Atochabsh]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
Only thing I really noticed was your steps, it looks like you step a little to the right and a little to the left and then back. Try walking one foot in front of the other.

Coach Jim, just wanted to talk about this since you mentioned the right tennis shoe thing. I'd say this isn't a problem anywhere else but just feel like tellin a story. About 4 months ago I went to the bowling alley to practice and forgot my shoes (yeah I forgot my bowling shoes, atleast it wasn't my balls lol) so I got some house shoes and was sliding all over the place so I put a tennis shoe on my right foot, and the person that worked there came and told me that I couldn't do that. I don't get what the big deal was.

Back to the topic, (this goes along with the story ^^ ) For the one or two frames I did use the tennis shoe, it helped a lot with the sliding problem. So if you do have universal shoes then you might want to look into getting right handed shoes.
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#86432 - 04/03/09 06:50 AM Re: Short video [Re: Justinmill14]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I did mention they had to be "clean" tennis shoes didn't I? Preferably new and never worn, and carried into the bowling center. Tennis shoe is fine if you only use it for bowling. The problem is when people wear their tennis shoes in the parking lot and drag gravel on the lanes, if this is the only shoe you have, then don't do it, you will get complaints from management like Justin said, but if you carry the shoe in with you and show the person behind the counter it is new and you only want to use it to see if the lack of traction is causing your problem, then they probably will not have a problem with it.

As far as watching the ball go down, the lane, that is a good thing to do, you want to watch the ball go down the lane so you can see where it starts to react and lose rotation. You don't want to pop up, but that is mostly caused by bending at the waist and the spring back effect it has at the line, more so than watching the ball.

Try watching the ball and predict when the ball will hook, and learn to adjust the rotation of the ball to match what the lane is telling you to do and your scores will go up a bunch.

#86458 - 04/03/09 10:58 AM Re: Short video [Re: CoachJim]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I would also like to add that I believe a lot of your turning in the slide problems all stem from your second step. You are already predicating that your body has to turn in order to open the shoulders enough to hit your target based on that step. Watch you second step in your slow motion video, you should be trying to walk a balance beam with one foot in front of the other. As you get to the slide you should "fill the gap" and the slide comes into the center of your body a little more. Because your second step goes so far left of your body you have to spin in order to maintain balance due to the ball and your foot working against each other.

I also think that leading with the heal as your trail leg heads left is because your shoulders are so open due to the step but I would also concentrate on this because that is a dead giveaway that you are about to spin.

Good luck!
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#86488 - 04/03/09 02:39 PM Re: Short video [Re: sk8shorty01]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

All of that makes sense. I went to practice again today and tried to keep myself walking straight, but whenever I walk straight, I hit my leg with the ball, I think I am twisting myself to get out of the way of the ball as I got. I also have real trouble keeping myself straight up but bending only the nee to lower myself, I do have a video I took of trying to do that so I will make a compilation later.

Is 5-10 strike throws best for seeing what I am doing, or is it better to post a few slow motion ones like I did above?

I checked and it looks like my shoes are universal, not lefty or righty, I will clean up a pair of tennis shoes I have that I didn't wear much and make sure the bottoms are g2g for trying on the lanes. I know the guys there by now so Im sure it wont be an issue.

Thanks again
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Storm League

#86489 - 04/03/09 02:44 PM Re: Short video [Re: Shale]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

Also with the heel leading first, I think some of that is my toes dragging on the lane which kicks my heel over? Not exactly sure.
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Storm League

#86493 - 04/03/09 03:19 PM Re: Short video [Re: Shale]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Your probably hitting yourself because of one of two things:
1- You are not putting your right foot on that step in front of hte left, causing it to get in the way of the ball path.
2- You do not have enough of a dropped shoulder to allow the ball to stay in tight to the body.

Your toe can drag thats fine, but it should lead the way. Your toe is dragging to the side of the heel rather than behind it which is where the problem happens. Your toe should be the furthest point back on the approach in your slide, your heel and toe are aligned.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#86535 - 04/03/09 09:47 PM Re: Short video [Re: sk8shorty01]
Paulmcxxx Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 38, M, Indiana, Fort Wayne
I don't think you are setting up properly, which is creating all sorts of havoc when you begin your approach. Starting from the ground up: Sit back on your heels, with a little more weight on your left than right (60/40). This will help your balance a little. Next, bend your knees slightly, this will keep your hips over your heels, improving your balance. Third, keep the ball closer to your body, supported by your non-bowling hand.

Now, for the approach...keeping your knees bent the whole time, push the ball away with your non-bowling hand,(push towards your target) when the hand is fully extended drop the ball into the swing. As you are walking to the foul line, imagine that you are holding a balloon between you knees, don't let it drop. Keep walking 'down hill', bend your knees more and more with each step. When you start your final step, use your ball-side foot to push into your slide, driving that foot to your left.

And RELEASE! Let the ball off your thumb, and you will feel a slight tug at your finger tips. Keep swinging through towards your target. Keep your front knee bent, look only at the target, and do not take your eyes off the target until you HEAR the ball hit the pins.

And finally, please get rid of the wrister unless you have some physical problem and have a very weak wrist. Wristers tend to try and flatten your hand, which pulls your hand out of the ball, forcing you to 'grab' the ball in your swing. Even if the ball fits 'perfectly'. Other than Mike Scroggins, how many pros do you see use wristers? None, unless they are getting paid a boatload of money to wear it and they don't care about losing.

And I can't figure out how to get all that cool info at the bottom of my message, so: 230 average, 13 or so 300 games, 857 high series, 6 800 series, hundreds of 700 series, blah, blah, blah...Thanks for letting me bore you, have a super weekend

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.