BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#86197 - 04/01/09 12:09 PM Really need some help
Kpbowler Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 15/M/New Jersey
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=36646348 (sorry I don't know how to put actual video on post)

I mainly want to work on my form. I literally have no knee bend and my back is almost completely straight throught my approach (don't know if thats a bad thing or not). Please help and thanks in advance smile

Edited by Kpbowler (04/01/09 12:12 PM)
Hammer Claw - Dry
White Dot - Spares

High Game: 289
High Series: 690

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#86199 - 04/01/09 12:43 PM Re: Really need some help [Re: Kpbowler]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Ok lets start with the basics, there are a few things that you should work on in order to build a little bit of a foundation.

1- Your swing is very controlled and muscled, relax and let it free swing from the shoulder. You are pulling the ball back then ripping through it at the release. The ball will hook a lot more if you can keep your muscles out of it and just let it roll off your hand. No effort! The pulling causes you to fall off your shot, losing all momentum you are trying to send into the ball, relax and let it flow. Right now your swing is working against your body, causing a lot of "foul line adjustments".

2- You are bending over at the waist rather than with your knees. Imagine getting lower with your hips, not your chest. Your spine should be tilted forward at about 15 degrees, you are closer to 35. This causes you to be so far leaned forward that your eyes lose sight of the target just before release and it causes you to "pop up" at the line in order to get some sense of visualization. This also affects your ability to balance at the line, causing you to fall off the shot.

3- Your slide step is extremely long before it makes contact with the approach. This is probably because your body is trying to regain balance that is thrown off based on the leaning. When you have that really long last step it causes you to lose a lot of leverage. This also probably adds to the "popping up" at the line.

4- Your timing seems a touch late, although its hard to tell because the video doesn't show your entire body through the entire approach. In a 4 step approach the ball should move on your first step at the same time as the step starts. It looks to me like you are moving the ball about half way through the step although I could be wrong. This causes you to be out of balance and probably magnifies that bending over at the waist causing you to take that long last step. This also makes you pull the ball down to release because you get to the foul line and the ball has to rush to match up. I might be wrong on the timing though, can you post another video showing your entire approach with your entire body in the shot (including the feet)?

Remember to work one thing at a time, I would work the leaning over first because it should be the easiest to fix. Once you get that down the free swing should be a little easier to establish. Good luck!
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#86501 - 04/03/09 04:02 PM Re: Really need some help [Re: sk8shorty01]
Kpbowler Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 15/M/New Jersey
wow thanks alot! I just have one question. How did you find so many flaws by just watching a video?
Hammer Claw - Dry
White Dot - Spares

High Game: 289
High Series: 690

#86679 - 04/05/09 12:18 AM Re: Really need some help [Re: Kpbowler]
juggss6 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/St Paul, MN
That's your entire game right there. These guys are very good, it's something that you'll pick up after awhile. Soon you'll be giving your teammates the same kind of advice. smile

#86683 - 04/05/09 12:38 AM Re: Really need some help [Re: juggss6]
Shale Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/WI
How heavy is the ball you are using? And how do you have it drilled? full fingers in, or just the first knuckle?

Edited by Shale (04/05/09 12:39 AM)
Emmy Vibe(256)
Hot Sauce Pearl(254)
Viz-A-Ball white
IYC League:
Avg:185
HG: 245
Series: 610
Storm League
Avg: 181
HG: 224
Series: 595

#86703 - 04/05/09 08:31 AM Re: Really need some help [Re: Kpbowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
To help you better, next time shoot from straight behind you, head to toe in the frame, and from the side head to toe start to finish in the frame. It is hard to tell what you are doing if we can't see the entire approach.

I agree with Shorty that your approach is late, you are getting to the foul line a step earlier than the ball, then pulling the ball through which is causing you to pop up at the line.

I can't tell if you are too bent or not at the line I would have to see from the side to determine that.

All in all you are not that bad and seem to have good basic skills. Start the ball with your right foot, and let it swing without helping the ball along or trying to hook the ball and post another vid, and we will go from there.

#86746 - 04/05/09 04:22 PM Re: Really need some help [Re: CoachJim]
Mattdean76 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/NY
You would really be surprised what someone can tell from watching as opposed to a bowler just saying what they think. A lot of it is technique.

15# Brunswick Power Groove Dry R
15# Global 900 Creature S40
14# Faball Purple Hammer (spare ball)
15# Rotogrip Mars Pearl

#86812 - 04/05/09 11:05 PM Re: Really need some help [Re: Mattdean76]
coasterlover420 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 17/M/NM
The biggest flaw I see, and I think this is why you say you can't get enough revs without muscling, is that you are completely flying after your shot. It's very obvious since you tend to hop at your release. I think the problem is that you are not actually taking a slide step at all, you're just throwing your foot out there and planting it at the line. What it's doing is stopping your momentum all at once, which causes you to jump, muscle the ball, and other bad things. The slide is used to ease your momentum into the ball at the foul line. In my opinion, the longer the slide, the smoother the release (but not too long).

A slide in general is critical to getting down and into your shot. Not only will it help your stability at the foul line, it will help you open up your body and let everything feel more free and relaxed, helping with muscling issues. It also forces your waist further down toward the earth, creating natural knee bend, which you definitely need. Bending at the waist is a source of back problems and getting around the ball.

As for the power issue, surprisingly, it can also be fixed with a slide. Good power is NOT created by getting around the ball, getting your hand into a powerful position, releasing more quickly...it is created below the waist. You could have the most solid hand position and quickest release in the world, but if you're bending at the waist or not bending down at all, the ball is either not going to get any revs on it at all or just completely spin out of control. I have experience with bad releases, mine used to be horrible. I had no knee bend and it caused me to loft the ball, get around it, and practically break my elbow off. Now my entire release is governed by my lower body, I just position my hand a certain way before I start so I can get different types of rotation/tilt for playing different angles.

I think I've said what I was trying to. If you need visuals, just check out Tommy Jones:

#87150 - 04/08/09 10:56 PM Re: Really need some help [Re: coasterlover420]
juggss6 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/St Paul, MN
I just have to ask, I always see Tommy putting his thumb in first. Not only that but it's turned, then he turns his hand and puts his fingers in. I've always been told to put my fingers in first.

#87154 - 04/08/09 11:16 PM Re: Really need some help [Re: juggss6]
evilash71 Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 40/M/ TX
Balance seems to be an issue. I mean you are seriously on that foul line teetering. Someone mentioned no slide. That's dead on. You are basically "landing" on the final foot.

I agree you need to bend at the knees. Work on the foot sliding a bit, doesnt even have to be a ton. And keeping some balance on the shot.
#14 MUTANT CELL PEARL
#14 ROTO DARK STAR
#14 ROTO RISING STAR
#14 ROTO OUTLAW
#14 ROTO GRENADE
#14 T ZONE SPAREBALL
#14 Storm Frantic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 11/28/20 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 11/28/20 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.