BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#85582 - 03/27/09 03:46 PM My Son Working on your tips.
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Jordan wanted to practice on some of the tips you guys suggested, The first thing he trying was starting to get the ball out to his side more at setup and keeping the swing straighter. The pro wasn't there at the beginning so we didn't get fit checked until afterwards but the Pro agreed the hole is a bit to large and suggested trying grip tape for now since he is youth his hand size will be all over the place. Thanks again for the tips. Almost forgot he rolled 193-158 his average is 132 so were getting there.

almost forgot he asked me to take a pic of the score board.

Edited by Rocket (03/27/09 03:53 PM)
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#85584 - 03/27/09 03:57 PM Re: My Son Working on your tips. [Re: Rocket]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
193 with one open right?

He looks a little better, just still a little "robotic" if you will. Remind him that the entire approach should be smooth and one continous motion. Its not jagged or cut off anywhere. The fit issue probably doesn't help a whole lot with the issue and I do agree that juniors will out grow their fit very fast. Tape is a bowlers best friend so don't be afraid to waste it. Put it in, take it out, move it around, a bowler will never be able to out bowl bad fit.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#85589 - 03/27/09 04:17 PM Re: My Son Working on your tips. [Re: sk8shorty01]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

I was thinking 2 opens but don't remember now. The robotic look is where he switched to a 4 step from a 3 step approach a bad habit he picked up from me.We are trying to work on that though hes bowled the 4 step approach 3 times now (8 games ) so hopefully coaches will smooth that out a bit tomorrow during league.
Mutant Cell

#85623 - 03/28/09 07:44 AM Re: My Son Working on your tips. [Re: Rocket]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Couldn't edit last reply, but anyway was 2 opens 3rd and seventh.
Mutant Cell

#85633 - 03/28/09 10:13 AM Re: My Son Working on your tips. [Re: Rocket]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Rocket, use this video as a training tool for him. Have him swing the ball at his side and show him how close it is to his leg. Then show him this vid and see how far it is away. This is caused by him pushing the ball out and away from him. Get him to hold the ball more outside, over his right foot to get a better plane of the ball swing.

Another thing is to get him to reach more toward his target. It will improve consistency. If you can, get out on the lane and hold a broom horizontal. Have him reach for it after the release to get used to it. Even do this at home.

He can slow down a little, too. Approach should be a normal walking speed.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#85635 - 03/28/09 11:59 AM Re: My Son Working on your tips. [Re: Dennis Michael]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Good points, and thanks for the training tip I will definitely try that one. We did get some more tape in that thumb hole today and the coach was looking at his thumb and suggested to him that his grip was putting pressure on the wrong part of his thumb and showed him the proper way to grip with only a bit of pressure on the thumb.

That seemed to help a lot, he did struggle his second game but overall series wasn't to bad 178 128 165 his average is 132. Oh and he qualified for the Top Gun tourney in may so there will be some more good exposure around more experienced youth bowlers.
Mutant Cell

#85672 - 03/28/09 09:28 PM Re: My Son Working on your tips. [Re: Rocket]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Well we worked on your tip and then took it to the lanes, He was much more consistent. He rolled 164-179-164 second game should have been 200 solid pocket shot left him 4 7 10 split just missed picking it up though.

We are going to work more with the broom here at home to get the muscle memory going but looking much better.

Thanks again you guys are making a young man very happy and an old dad very proud.
Mutant Cell

#85849 - 03/30/09 08:26 AM Re: My Son Working on your tips. [Re: Rocket]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Glad we can help, as long as he is having fun that is the most important thing. I see so many talented youth bowlers in my area that their parents "nag" them right out of the sport and its sad. Glad to hear that you guys are working on it yet still keeping in mind that it is supposed to be a fun activity.

Has he watched himself on video yet? What did he think?
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#85850 - 03/30/09 08:46 AM Re: My Son Working on your tips. [Re: sk8shorty01]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Rocket, try not to put any credence into practice scores. If you are practicing something new, the score means nothing. He doesn't need the added pressure to score high while trying something new.

Like, practicing spares. When you try for a ten pin only, it doesn't matter what pins are left up. So, on the first ball, just shoot for the 10 pin. You should still have the pocket left up to shoot for a strike ball on the second try. In this manner, he gets practice, and sees the score is meaningless.

Move him either direction on the lane with his feet, and have him aim at a particular arrow target. Let him assess if he hit it or not. Again, score is meaningless but accuracy improves. And, he learns how to play angles.

Some bowl just practicing. Then bowl the final game for score, using what he has learned.

Some of us here even shoot ten pins, then 7 pins on the second ball. Objective is to get the lowest score, without a gutter. A perfect low score would be 20.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#85878 - 03/30/09 12:00 PM Re: My Son Working on your tips. [Re: Dennis Michael]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Again good information, We will definately try that the next time we hit the lanes, I do have him try different marks and standing different places in warm ups. but we have never just tried certin pins for a whole ten frames, Yes he has watched his video and has pointed out himself some things he did wrong for instance, Grabbing the ball not paying attention to what board he starting on and hurrying his throw. I did point out some good things, like when his post shot is dead on leg position, balance and so forth.

And no I am not pushing him at all he decides when to practice if he practices. But if left up to him would be everyday lol.
I did notice something else about him Saturday night as well as other times, the more people watching him the better he bowls, must help his concentration or something.

Thanks again
Mutant Cell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.