BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#85545 - 03/27/09 05:06 AM Practice Shots
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA

Here's a new video of me throwing some shots. The most glaring thing to me personally, is my swing. It just seems like it's too far to the left, and in the last three shots at least, I know I was trying to fix it. Kinda looks like a Tommy Jones thing going on there actually. I was even trying to make my swing go away from me to exaggerate the feeling of getting the swing to go that way by holding the ball more towards my stomach and pushing away straight or towards the 7 pin. But as you can see not much changed except maybe you can tell I was holding the ball in a different position.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#85546 - 03/27/09 06:08 AM Re: Practice Shots [Re: Jay R.]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
Great form.

I think you are slightly pulling the ball up in the backswing and this is what's causing you to pull it behind your back, but it really doesn't seem excessive.

The pulling is because you are catching the ball after the pushaway (not letting it fall). But it's really not that bad.

Your slide could be a little more in line with your right foot.

Bowling klub

#85547 - 03/27/09 06:32 AM Re: Practice Shots [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You look great! I don't see much you are doing wrong. The stuff Luksa was talking about was on the last couple of shots, the first couple of shots you looked like you were ready to go on tour, keep up the good work.

Next, work on versatility play up the boards, then move in 5 boards at a time and don't move until you get three strikes in a row, and keep moving and adjusting the rotation and roll of your ball to match what the lanes are telling you to do.

#85551 - 03/27/09 07:34 AM Re: Practice Shots [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

Thanks guys! I really didn't think it was THAT good. Saying I looked like I was ready to go on tour is a huge compliment to me.

That said, the pulling up for the backswing is more than likely due to my fit which I'm working on. I am indeed squeezing the ball here.

Jim, that's a good idea about the versatility. I'm comfortable in any part of the lane except lofting the left gutter(I've never had to, and never tried), but changing the way my ball rolls is something I will work on to suit each part of the lane.

There's a couple other things I'm wondering about in my game. I noticed there's still a little movement in the upper body and head as I release. Is that something that should be fixed? I'm almost sure it's one of those action/reaction things though so it's not something I can change just by focusing on it(in my opinion). The other thing is my power step, should I bend it more and should it be used a little more in general?

#85552 - 03/27/09 07:58 AM Re: Practice Shots [Re: Jay R.]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
I wish my head was as still as yours. Don't think you need to work on that at all.

As CoachJim said, try playing up the boards and try to give the ball more forward roll - in the video it looks like your hand always ends up at 90 (but you may be releasing the ball before the hand gets to 90).

Your grip problems (the rubbing you mentioned in your other post) might be due to the overturning.

Other than that, work on the small physical things, but now it's time for you to really perfect your mental game. You have the technique to execute excellent shots, so from now on it's only mental.

Develop a pre-game and a pre-shot routine (it should include relaxation, a focus cue, visualization of the shot and a positive affirmation). And don't forget to do the pre-shot routine on your spare shots as well!

Bowling klub

#85587 - 03/27/09 04:00 PM Re: Practice Shots [Re: Luksa]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

My release gives me about 45-55 degrees of rotation. That's about the most I can get without forcing it right now. I'm pretty sure just the way I position my fingers is enough to change it. In here both fingers are spread far, I don't find I get anymore rotation with the pinky in, and I just move both fingers in as I want to reduce rotation. Hopefully beyond that it's just a matter of letting the ball roll off my hand which is what I try to do. I've been thinking of trying to come out with an open hand ala Pete Weber just to be sure I won't turn early and that I'm not forcing the rotation.

As for my grip, the rubbing is definitely the ball, I only have to put my hand in the ball and try to pull it out(which is a struggle).

I will definitely continue to work on my game. I made a slight change and now, for the most part, it seems to be coming together. Still wondering if I should bend the knee on my power step more, speaking of which, it doesn't seem like much of a power step lol. Just curious, is anyone surprised to hear that I was squeezing the ball here?

#85593 - 03/27/09 05:00 PM Re: Practice Shots [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

Quote:
I'm almost sure it's one of those action/reaction things though so it's not something I can change just by focusing on it(in my opinion). The other thing is my power step, should I bend it more and should it be used a little more in general?

You have the fundamentals down your head seems to be still if you are pulling up and out it is probably just a bad shot. Try to figure out what made you pull up and fix it.

As far as bending the right leg into the power step that is always a good thing to do and it might fix the pulling up as you release.

#85605 - 03/27/09 07:11 PM Re: Practice Shots [Re: CoachJim]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

My slight pull up is a hair after my release and the only thing besides getting lower going into the slide that might be causing it is I could be forcing the release. It was pointed out by someone else that my follow through sometimes goes to the left of my face and that it should go to the right(like the shot at 0:30). I sort of agree with them that it shouldn't go to the left but I figure in front of my face is okay since the ball passes under my chin. Also for the heck of it check out this guy and how he uses his power step, crazy isn't it?

#85629 - 03/28/09 09:08 AM Re: Practice Shots [Re: Jay R.]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

If your elbow goes left of your chin it is fine, if your elbow goes to the right and your hand goes to the left that is chicken winging.

#85630 - 03/28/09 10:02 AM Re: Practice Shots [Re: CoachJim]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: CoachJim
If your elbow goes left of your chin it is fine, if your elbow goes to the right and your hand goes to the left that is chicken winging.

Look at Chris Barnes. He follows through to the left. I don't see an issue with it either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
After 8onths my centre has finally reopened
by looseleftie - 05:10 PM
No Post Available
by djp1080 - 01:37 PM
This is a damned shame
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 11/01/20 02:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.