BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8536 - 01/03/06 11:46 AM Who to Watch
Wire1090 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/M/Allentown, PA
As my interest in getting better at bowling has grown, so has my interest in watching the PBA.

I have learned most of what I know from watching others. Who on the tour is good to "learn" from? Who has the best balance? Best release? Timing? Whatever. Curious to hear what some of the experienced members out there think.

I like to watch Norm Duke. I throw a ball similar to him. I think he has such a great release. Always running the ball along the same line. Hits the mark all the time.
16lb Storm Spare Black

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8537 - 01/03/06 12:27 PM Re: Who to Watch
FlimFlamboyant Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 33/M/Illinois
I think Pete Weber has fantastic Execution. He exhibits fantastic balance with smooth, fluid motion. He does have a tendancy to step off to the right after his follow-through, but I think this has more to do with his routine than it does a lack of balance. He generates a lot of power with no apparent effort, though there's a lot going on in the wrist and fingers for sure.

#8538 - 01/04/06 07:14 AM Re: Who to Watch
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I would second PDW. He has the best balance and cleanest release I have ever seen. It is nice and clean everytime. He never grabs the ball. He never muscles the ball. His follow through is nice and fluid. His finishing position is the same everytime. His backswing is too high for me to duplicate, but the rest of his game is perfect to me.

And as for him falling off to the right, I think you mistake his celebrations as bad balance. He tends to run out his strikes and get pumped up. Part of the whole PDW thing. I just love his bowling style. Effortless. I also love Norm Duke's versatility.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#8539 - 01/04/06 12:38 PM Re: Who to Watch
Wire1090 Offline
Bracket Donor

He does have a great swing. I watched one of his demos that I found online last night. His backswing is amazing. I bet the ball feels so light in his hands on the way down. Its almost like he palms it. No force in the grip. Just back and forth.

I love Norm Duke's "waggle." I laugh every time I see it.
16lb Storm Spare Black

#8540 - 01/08/06 11:44 PM Re: Who to Watch
Flamenco Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/Singapore
I like to watch Weber as well, just so smooth and effortless, with a beautiful clean release.

Danny wiseman, I like to watch because of his bowling style and his finishing position is just so solid.

Norm Duke and Chris Barnes to watch how they use their versatility to match up to the lane conditions.

#8541 - 01/23/06 05:08 PM Re: Who to Watch
Future Pro Bowler Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 23/Male/Irvine
Well I happen to agree with all the other posts regarding PeteyW, he is by far one of the best bowlers(form wise as well) I have ever seen.

However, I LOVE, and I mean absolutely love watching some of the young guns who have such accuracy and incredible fingers as power crankers...ex. ROBERT SMITH and TOMMY JONES. Those guys have some of the craziest ball paths I have ever seen, not to mention tommy jones has one of the most awesome approaches I have seen following the tour. Although not everyone can throw a ball like robert smith, himmler, or jones...its definitely fun to watch because it kinda leaves your jaw hanging...

Other bowlers that are not as mainstream that I believe have incredible releases would be MICHAEL FAGAN(hes only made 1 TV final in his 2-3 year pba career, but hes starting to get good fast!) Fagan has an awesome, soundless release with a backswing as high as koivenuimis. Machuga is also another great and consistent stroker with great balance and ball reaction....haha the list goes on and on....i suggest you subscribe to pba strikepass on pba.com, for like 9 dollars u can see all the televised shows that they show on espn, such a great value if u are a fan.

The names you should watch and appreciate: Bohn III, Walter Ray, Chris Barnes, Koivenumi, Wes Malott, Michael Fagan, Tommy Jones(one of my favs), Fleming, Jason Couch, Robert Smith, Himmler, De Vaney, Duke, and Wiseman....some of the few names in the PBA that are great to watch and good to learn from...

#8542 - 01/24/06 06:19 PM Re: Who to Watch
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

I worked with Fagan's Mom for years. I watched him bowl since she told me he was going pro. I have seen him bowl in person numerous times. His style is effortless. Very smooth. Extremely high backswing but the ball makes no noise when it hits the lane. I think his style is much smoother than TJ, Maximum Bob or Himmler. And he covers just as much lane as all of them. When he begins to trust his straight game he will be a winner for years to come. Versatility is the only way to be competitive week after week on tour.

IQ Tour Fusion
Lights Out
Natural

#8543 - 01/25/06 05:28 PM Re: Who to Watch
Wire1090 Offline
Bracket Donor

I watched the PBA this weekend. That Richie Allen could be a great player for years to come. He has that versatility to play on different patterns.

I did finally get to see Tommy Jones on a video that a friend lent to me. Wish I could remember the name. He can rip the boards off the lane smile

....I just can't wait til Sunday to watch and see Chris Barnes hit that double lane / double single pin spare shot that they previewed during last Sunday's PBA coverage of trick shot bowling.
16lb Storm Spare Black

#8544 - 02/03/06 09:52 PM Re: Who to Watch
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

Fagan will be on Sunday's show, check him out.

IQ Tour Fusion
Lights Out
Natural

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.