BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#85324 - 03/25/09 07:19 AM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Atochabsh]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
please forgive my ignorance like I said been about 20 years since I bowled used to be avid bower 4 leagues a week but never received any instruction. By firm wrist do you mean with arm down wrist should be facing pins forming an L shape with his arm? Bottom of L being wrist and hand?

As far as the weight of the ball goes yes I have been having him do curls to help build strength as well as wrist curls poor kid was blessed with my long lanky arms and long skinny hands. When I bowled I would start with 15 lb balls then switch to 14 lb after second game you think I would have gotten huge lugging six balls around lol
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#85326 - 03/25/09 07:34 AM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Rocket]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
The face of his palm should be facing the pins. If you look at his swing now, as soon as he sets the ball into the swing, his wrist breaks back and his palm is facing the floor. Another way to think of it is that his hand should be on the back of the ball opposed to the top of it.

#85335 - 03/25/09 10:36 AM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Lefty]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Another way to explain the "firm" wrist and what it should look like. If you look at him from the side, he back of the wrist should be straight with the back of the forearm (at the least) or a little cupped. An "L" shape is too far, as then you are over forcing your body and that can lead to injuries if you are not careful. A straight wrist would be a good start, just getting straight is hard enough but slightly cupped is what most go for.

Hope that makes sense.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#85337 - 03/25/09 10:48 AM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Lefty]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
Oh Ok I see it now. Now I want to make a list of things to work on.

First I will get his fit rechecked his thumb hole does seem a bit loose maybe hand was a bit swelled when fitted it was right after bowling 3 games.

Second of course let the coach finish working on his four step approach until they both feel comfortable that he has the steps down.

Third work on ball position at start

Fourth wrist position

Of course 1 at a time as others have mentioned don't want to mess up his mental game trying to fix to much at once. Does this seem like a reasonable course of action? And again will not offer advice to coach if he wants to work on other things not on my list. That is the good thing about Jordan he pays very good attention to the coach and is usually able to do what is asked of him very quickly.
Mutant Cell

#85341 - 03/25/09 10:59 AM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Rocket]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
About the thumb hole....

Kids hands are notoriously damp and moist. This means that they tend to hang up in the ball. Usually this results to a trip to the ball driller to have it opened up. Then when they start bowling the thumb hole is too big, and too small when they finish. He might just need to use a "puff ball" to help keep his hands dry. But have the hole checked. But have it checked BEFORE he bowls.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.