BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8528 - 12/14/05 05:31 PM TOMMY JONES: Approach and Ball path
Future Pro Bowler Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 23/Male/Irvine
Well Im sure most of us have heard of and seen Tommy Jones throw a bowling ball. Can someone please explain to me how the heck he executes that kind of throw. Im a cranker myself and have thrown some pretty impressive looking balls on dry lanes, but ive seen matches where a right to left bowler starts on the 5 board and rolls it into the pocket...then Tommy walks up to the same lane and throws a ball from what seems like the 40 board to the 1 or 2 board at its breaking point. Ive never seen that kind of ball reaction. I mean this guy is seriously nuts. I currently hover around 200 as a bowler, and have been very much into the sport the last 1.5 years. I would love to learn(maybe not as crazy as him) a high backswing and that kind of ball reaction.

Does anyone know how I can possibly find someone who can teach me the fundamentals of having a higher backswing, and the timing necessary to pull of that kind of approach.

I have the necessary skills and fundamentals to do well in bowling, but if I am going to bowl for a long long time (im currently 23) then i would love to start learning how to throw a ball like that. It seems like you have to be incredibly atheltic to throw smoething like that.

I hope someone can help me out and give me some pointers as to how I can slowly learn to throw as beautiful as TJ.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8529 - 12/14/05 07:49 PM Re: TOMMY JONES: Approach and Ball path
Jason Fewell Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 32/Male/Mckinney, Tx
Hey, FPB, welcome to the forum. I am a cranker, too. When I need more speed, I'll hold my ball higher. Normally I hold it a little above waiste high. I'll hold it about chest high for more speed. Below waiste for less speed. He turns the heck out of the ball at release, too. A lot of it has to do with the way his equipment is drilled and accuracy. Practice also has a lot to do with it, too....Hope this helps.

#8530 - 12/15/05 04:48 PM Re: TOMMY JONES: Approach and Ball path
First Strike Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 57/Male/North Carolina
FWIW... The pro-shop guy (a very good senior regional PBA bowler) here knows Jones and watched him develop as a bowler from a young age. He said Jones has more "hand" than anyone else he's ever seen.

So, there's the technique he's using, and then there's who's using the technique. Only to say that, with the same technique, your results may vary.

#8531 - 12/17/05 12:17 AM Re: TOMMY JONES: Approach and Ball path
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
There are a couple of things that I've seen from TJ that creates all of those revolutions.
1) When the ball is on the way down he bends his arm and snaps it at the bottom of his swing. this helps create extra revs on the ball. Chris Barnes and Robert Smith have a similar **** in their swing.

2) He keeps his hand under the ball. In order to create that kind of hook, you have to stay under the ball as much as possible.

3) He stays behind the ball until the last possible second. This helps to create leverage. The leverage is needed to get the ball back from the outside boards.

4) He comes around the ball at the last possible second. This also helps to create the extra leverage needed to come back from the outside boards.

But I must add that what makes TJ great isn't his ability to hook the ball. There are many guys in the PBA that hook it just as much as TJ. It is the versatility to blend his style to suit any lane condition. He has shown his ability to be effective bowling straight as well as hooking it. I think it was last year when Tommy was bowling Danny Wiseman in the round of 8 when his usual line that he had been using all tournament wasn't working in practice. So he went straight up the boards and stayed up the first arrow. He swept DW 4 straight and his lowest game was like a 279. Now that is skill.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#8532 - 12/17/05 12:19 AM Re: TOMMY JONES: Approach and Ball path
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I can't believe they bleeped that word out. It's not a curse. I was describing his arm motion, not calling him a name.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#8533 - 01/03/06 12:18 PM Re: TOMMY JONES: Approach and Ball path
FlimFlamboyant Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 33/M/Illinois
I've experimented a bit with cranking and a higher backswing. Personally, I find the high backswing hard to control, probably 'cause I'm not moving the rest of my body correctly. I do know that the high backswing involves opening the shoulders.

If you watch these guys, you'll see that their shoulders are actually parallel with their target line at the top of the backswing. Also, as Smooth mentioned, they keep their hand behind the ball until the last moment. This creates two extra motions that you need to execute and time correctly in order to hit your mark. When I've cranked, I think about keeping my hand between the ball and my body until just the right moment, then I just let my hand do what it wants to do; come around the side of the ball (my hand is never actually that far inside, it just feels like it is). If I turn it too early, I miss inside. If I'm too late, I end up in the gutter. Timing is critical in this type of release.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.