BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#85177 - 03/24/09 06:58 AM My son, Learning new approach
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 45/male/Ohio
hello all this video is of my son learning the 4 step approach, he used to use the 3 (picked up watching me I have very long stride and arms) I am also wondering what is a good drill for hitting his mark he has only been bowling a year and has made the Ohio Pepsi youth State tournament after rolling a 469 3 games scratch 739 handicapped. We only get to bowl after his league due to my work schedule so any advise is appreciated

[video:myspace]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=54469768[/video]

Sorry about link I was heading to work when posted I will re read instruction and fix when I get home.
Mutant Cell

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#85183 - 03/24/09 08:52 AM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Rocket]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Having a ball that fits his hand better would help. It looks like he has to squeeze the snot out of it to hang on to it, and he's still dropping it.

#85195 - 03/24/09 11:23 AM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Lefty]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with Lefty. Also notice how having to put a "death grip" on the ball compromises a straight swing. If you pay attention at the second step you will notice that the ball archs out away from his body a good bit because he has to compensate for the bad ball fit. This would explain the missing his mark as well, remember the less moving parts the less that can go wrong. The drilling has affected many things in the swing and that would be where I would concentrate the most right away.

After getting a drilling that fits, I would then work on freeing up the swing because there will be a lot of bad habits (gripping the ball, forcing the swing) instilled due to the bad fit.

Good luck with the tourny!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#85202 - 03/24/09 12:20 PM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: sk8shorty01]
4StepShaun Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 34/M/Rochester, NY
A nice little tutorial for the 4-step approach by none other than Chris Barnes. He has great textbook form, if you're gonna have your son copy somebody, this is the one.

#85203 - 03/24/09 12:21 PM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: sk8shorty01]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks for the tips, I will have to have the bowling center recheck his fit, I bought it from the Pro Shop there. He was using a pre drilled ball (Off the shelf) until about 3 months ago
The coaches noticed that he had pretty decent form for a brand new bowler and sugested the Ebonite Tornado. When the pro noticed his very long hand span (larger then the pros fitting him) he suggested finger tip as well and the coach agreed.
So that may be a lot of the cause getting used to the finger tip or bad habbits from the old ball not fitting well.

I will ask the coach this Saturday to pay attenion to this to see what can be done.

Thanks a lot this is a great community and hope I can be a part of it for a long while.

#85209 - 03/24/09 12:44 PM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Rocket]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Just remember that every person has their own view for what the weakest point of ones bowling game is. Bowling is a game of building blocks, you can't put one thing in until the previous tip is learned. If his coach feels that something else is his weakest link, and he needs to learn that before learning the grip then don't try to argue that point or anything. After all we are just watching a movie, he (or she) is there in person and can see exactly what is going on.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#85282 - 03/24/09 06:56 PM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: sk8shorty01]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Great advice and no worries there I have been away from bowling for so long I listen intently to while the coaches talk to him. We are thinking about joining a parent youth league (8 week summer league) so I want as many pointers as I can get for myself lol.

He is very lucky the youth league he is in has great coaches they work well with the kids and do not put up with junk from parents. The 2 that work with him the most are brothers and have 41 300 games between them, so I assume they know a bit more them me lol

Again thanks for the advice,

Edited by Rocket (03/24/09 07:13 PM)
Mutant Cell

#85287 - 03/24/09 09:27 PM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Rocket]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Here's a few things that I think are terrific. He has a great finish position for one so young. Most adults cannot keep balanced and post the shot like he does. His trail leg is perfect.

He seems to have a pretty good spare system in place. He picked up a couple of fairly tough spares there. Just hold the position a bit longer on that ten pin spare. I know its just a spare :-), but don't get into any habit of stepping off. These are aspects of the game that I think he's very advanced on for his age.

While the other posters are not incorrect by any means. This is what came to my mind when I saw the video.

1. The ball is a little heavy for him.
2. His swing going outside his body could be caused by starting the ball too far to the middle of his chest.
3. His swing going outside could also be caused by having his hand too much on the side of the ball through the swing. The weight of the ball should start on the pad below the index finger and hopefully the wrist can keep the firm position (not breaking back).
4. He cuts the follow through short. I know he's reaching behind his ear. This has its fundamental advantages, but loses leverage. I'd like to see a stronger follow through where his arm reaches out further towards his ball path. To help students learn this, I use the "arm towards the sprinkler theory" the sprinkler being the closest one in line with the ball path on the ceiling.
5. His wrist is not in a firm straight position. Its bent from the get go. He needs to at least have it straight and firm. Have him hold the ball down at his side and flex his wrist so that the wrist is straight. That's how it should feel throughout the swing.

He's doing great! There's always things to work on and he's off to a great start.

Erin

#85296 - 03/24/09 10:31 PM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Atochabsh]
Rocket Offline
Virtual League Champion

Again great points, The ball is 10 Lb the coach moved him up from 8 for a little more carry, and now that you mention it he did say it was probably a tad to heavy for him with his build but 8 was to light. Also as you mentioned again the coach said he had the natural form for throwing a hook and for a beginner the Tornado was a perfect fit but 10# was the lowest weight it came in.

He did offer to pay me back for it if the weight change hurt his game but he felt with a little training he would grow into it pretty fast.

Yes I notice the quick step off as well at finish that has just developed where he switched from 3 step to 4 step and I think he throws a little shuffle step in there once in a while that throws him a bit off balance at times.

I really appreciate the compliments that was my feeling as well he seemed to look really good to me at times but I am looking through a fathers eyes so not so objective. We were practicing his pendulum swing tonight and I did have him trying to hold the ball more towards his side for a starting point instead of in front of him. You are right it seems to relate to the weight of the ball there as well. He said moving to the side made the ball feel heavier. Practice was in our living room not the alley.

Again following others advise not working on to much at once don't want him thinking about to much at once. At his league the coach will ask me what we worked on and my son what he wants to work on and I kick back and enjoy him learning. He says thank you all as well.

Mutant Cell

#85305 - 03/24/09 11:45 PM Re: My son, Learning new approach [Re: Rocket]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
If the ball feels too heavy moving it more inline with his shoulder then he needs to be instructed in how to support the ball with his non bowling hand.

His stature should allow him to throw 10 at the least. So he maybe needs some Weight Training. The way he was throwing it I assumed it was 12-13+lbs. And I did say "a
little" too heavy. So he should grow into it pretty rapidly.

And have him do the flexing of the wrist with the ball dangling at his side. He needs to learn what a firm striaght wrist feels like.

Erin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.