BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84457 - 03/17/09 08:21 PM Re: Thumbless bowling? [Re: Mkirchie]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I usually only bowl thumbless (two-handed mind you) just for kicks as well, but enough to have a pretty good idea of how to play the lane, a targeting system and a spare system that can pick up the ten pin without the thumb in the ball. Will I ever use it in league play? Only if you are up by 150+ pins going into the last couple of frames or on a fill ball. WHy don't I use it consistantly? Balance issues mostly and I'm a bit lazy so I can't really justify figuring out how to fix something that I probably will not use in competition.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#84529 - 03/18/09 10:00 AM Re: Thumbless bowling? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I practice with 2 handed bowling on occassion and I have actually used it in league with success. Its all about figuring out when a change to 2 hands will be benificial. I find it works well when the backends have a lot of carry down or there is little drive and the ball seems like it labors down lane. I try everything I can to adjust out of the problem before I resort to changing to 2 handed though, as it messes with your timing.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#84571 - 03/18/09 04:43 PM Re: Thumbless bowling? [Re: sk8shorty01]
Mattdean76 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/NY
I still can't figure out how anyone does that and not fall over on their face, but to each their own wink

15# Brunswick Power Groove Dry R
15# Global 900 Creature S40
14# Faball Purple Hammer (spare ball)
15# Rotogrip Mars Pearl

#84583 - 03/18/09 07:32 PM Re: Thumbless bowling? [Re: Mattdean76]
IanTyler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27 m illinois
i love it but im a new bowler
i also love bowling left handed to pick up my tenpin but i was recently informed that was illegal if you start your average right handed you have to finish right handed no switch hitting witch is a bunch of poop
i can shoot pool right or left handed why not bowl

246 High Game in league
600 High series in league
130 league average gained 18 pins in my first season

#84586 - 03/18/09 09:03 PM Re: Thumbless bowling? [Re: IanTyler]
Mkirchie Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 37/M/New Jersey
There was a fairly long thread on this a while ago. The main reason is that handicap in leagues/tournaments is based off of average, so if you establish a lower average with one hand and then bowl with the higher average hand, you're bowling with a handicap that does not match your actual average and skill level. You can only use one hand to establish an average.

Mark

#84587 - 03/18/09 09:10 PM Re: Thumbless bowling? [Re: Mkirchie]
IanTyler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27 m illinois
i guess but it still sucks lol

246 High Game in league
600 High series in league
130 league average gained 18 pins in my first season

#84636 - 03/19/09 09:40 AM Re: Thumbless bowling? [Re: IanTyler]
nacstate Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/Raleigh, NC
I just got back into bowling and have been going thumbless. Growing up I played occasionally and always used a standard grip, but as I got older my hand became uncomfortable in house balls. My thumb always got stuck in the medium holes, but my other two fingers couldn't keep grip in the large holes. I'd go with medium so I could still grip and ended up with my thumb sore and raw by the end of the first game. I didn't play enough to justify a custom drilled ball, so I just started bowling thumbless. My scores weren't awful, usually in the low 100's, so I figured I'd stick with it.

I joined a beginner league with some friends this week and went ahead and continued bowling thumbless and did pretty well. I went 144, 156, 177 for the night. I'll agree that starting off it can be kind of inconsistent. My hand/wrist aren't strong enough yet and were a little sore afterwards, but I figure after a few weeks of playing and practicing I'll build up that strength and my consistency will improve.

Now if you've even read all that, I actually have a question. At the end of the league we get a ball made for us. Does anybody have any advice on how to get it drilled? I'll probably continue to bowl thumbless so I was curious what my options were, especially if I want to continue in other leagues that will have stricter rules about balls and stuff.

#84649 - 03/19/09 10:45 AM Re: Thumbless bowling? [Re: nacstate]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Leagues don't have "stricter" rules on balls and such. You can release the ball any way, and throw any ball that fits within USBC's guidelines. Your ball league isn't going to give a ball away that is not approved for sanctioned events by the USBC so you have nothing to worry about. I would talk to your driller and show them how you bowl and let them come up with something that should fit your game. I would also say when you get a ball that fits your hand you should at least try the thumb and see what happens. It will probably be a lot less destructive on your joints in the long run if you can get into the habit of using that thumb. I am not trying to tell you to switch, just to try it with a ball that fits and feels more comfortable, you might like it.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#84733 - 03/20/09 12:05 AM Re: Thumbless bowling? [Re: nacstate]
burns1210 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 35/M/MD
nacstate,

I've been a strict no thumb bowler for 17 years now and have had many balls drilled specifically for my technique. I've been hearing different things over the years about what's legal and what's not. I have been getting just the finger holes drilled for years from the same guy, but just recently I got one drilled at a different shop and he insisted that it have three holes drilled. He said that an Ebonite rep told him two holes was legal and a Hammer guy said it had to have three. He called his boss and he said it had to have three, so I got weight hole drilled as small as he could legally do it.

When you start working on your style, don't concentrate so much on putting side spin on the ball...you won't be able to find anything that stays on the lane!...except for a plastic ball of course. On your back swing, be sure to bring your wrist straight back instead of trying to turn your wrist inside to get more rotation. Wrist straight back and drive through. Everyone says you'll have wrist and arm problems...I have never had an ounce of pain or fatigue out of the ordinary using only 16lbs. I tried a 15lb but I felt like I was throwing it too hard and it was hooking too much. There are plenty of successful no thumbers out there, if that's how you feel most comfortable bowling, stick with it.

High Game: 300
High Set: 708
Average : 208

Life:

High Game: 300
High Set: 743
High Final Avg: 205

No. of thumbs used: 0

#84818 - 03/20/09 03:07 PM Re: Thumbless bowling? [Re: burns1210]
nacstate Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 27/M/Raleigh, NC
I don't really try to create spin or anything by cupping or rotating my wrist. I'm sure it happens some naturally because of going thumbless, but I'm not out there trying to fling the ball around trying to spin it. Like I said I didn't go thumbless because I wanted to create hook, I just did it for comfort and it happens to work out well for me. I'll keep that in mind though not to purposely do that in the future.

Kind of an off-topic question but since I'm already here; Is there really any benefit to getting "left-hand" shoes since I'm a left handed bowler. I know for now regular shoes are just fine, but I was curious.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:12 AM
no one on for 5 days
by Dennis Michael - Today at 11:06 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Yesterday at 08:42 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.