BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84509 - 03/18/09 03:43 AM Me and my friend bowling
Rickywin Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/CA
videos of me and my friend:

and my friend:

Tell us what you think!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#84511 - 03/18/09 04:36 AM Re: Me and my friend bowling [Re: Rickywin]
Sevens Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 24/m/mn
First things first, both of your approaches are off. You both start the swing on the 2nd step. Lol it's kind of creepy. For a 4-step approach you should be moving the ball on the first step. On a good note, your body posture is decent. Who's next?

Edited by Sevens (03/18/09 04:41 AM)

#84513 - 03/18/09 05:45 AM Re: Me and my friend bowling [Re: Rickywin]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Ricky, you start the ball on the proper step and you take 5 steps, not four so take that for what it's worth.

You take your first step too big, it is you largest step, then you take three quick steps then a long slow slide. The long slow slide is taking momentum from your shots.

You need to alter your cadence. Take 1/2 step on the first step, the second step cross your heel in front of your left foot with your toe pointing back toward your target. The third step should be a normal long step and start bending for the power step. The fourth step (power step) should be a half step and the same as the previous right foot step where it stepped heel in front of your left foot with the toe pointed at your target. The fourth step, should also be lowering your body into the slide and should be your fastest step. The slide should be back in front of your right foot which you seem to do well and the ball is tight to your ankle.

You have a nice swing and it seems to be lined up very well, keep up the good work.

Next post some close ups of your release from varying distances from behind.

You friend has late timing caused by a delay in his push away where he is over extending the ball. He has long arms in the first place, tell him to just drop the ball into the swing at the completion of his first left foot step. As it is he is starting the ball with his left foot, then extending with his right foot then dropping the ball into the swing making him very late. When his right foot is second right foot step is completed the ball should be behind him, as it is now, it's in front of him.

Edited by CoachJim (03/18/09 05:51 AM)

#84546 - 03/18/09 11:59 AM Re: Me and my friend bowling [Re: CoachJim]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I think CoachJim pretty much nailed it. I will also add that your long delayed slide tends to make you taller at the line than you are throughout your approach. This is probably because the three fast steps have you waiting on the ball and the ball is pulling your body up as it hits the top of swing slightly off time.

CoachJim also nailed the friends problems as well. The ball is starting to late (it should start in time with the first left foor step) and the push away is way to far out in front of him which is pulling his upooer body over. Shorten that push away and start it a step earlier than it is now and he should notice a much more confortable path to the line.

Both of your swings look like they are pretty free and in line with the target. Neither seems to pull or hold the ball in any part of the swing and both of you seem to establish a strong position at the line (although your knee could bend a little more).

Keep it up and post another video after you feel you have played with these ideas!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#84554 - 03/18/09 01:18 PM Re: Me and my friend bowling [Re: sk8shorty01]
Sevens Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 24/m/mn
wow...lol I'm dumb. come on, it was like 4am on st patty's day.

#84556 - 03/18/09 01:33 PM Re: Me and my friend bowling [Re: sk8shorty01]
Time-To-Roll Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: female, Port Angeles Wa. right...

4 ^ / left foot right

3 \ right foot left
^ ^
2 ^ left foot straight
1 \ right foot left

Good description of footwork Jim. I tried to diagram 4 step approach with key board. Feeling the right foot cross left on both the first and third steps is good. This is the footwork that gets your right leg out of the way and a clears a path for your downswing close to your ankle and under your chin.
I think both the guys are looking good. The hard part is the timing of the ball swing to be synchronized effectively with the footwork.????
Dianne

#84584 - 03/18/09 07:56 PM Re: Me and my friend bowling [Re: Time-To-Roll]
Rickywin Offline
Action Bowler

worked on footwork today. I had more momentum going to the line, but still felt a bit off balance. Question: I'm trying to work on my release right now, and i'm trying to feel my fingers more. Should I firm my wrist up and keep it that way, or relax it during the swing and get under it at the release? When I firm my wrist up, its harder for me move through the ball more smoothly. when my hands relax, it moves through the ball better, but its slightly bent back.

#84632 - 03/19/09 09:30 AM Re: Me and my friend bowling [Re: Rickywin]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I relax through the back swing with the wrist, then at the "zero gravity" point at the top of the swing is when I firm my wrist up. It takes the least amount of muscle to do it at that point because you are working with gravity rather than without it. It feels very wierd at first but I think it has really helped me in the "free swing" department.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#84741 - 03/20/09 01:07 AM Re: Me and my friend bowling [Re: sk8shorty01]
Rickywin Offline
Action Bowler

Worked on shortening the first step today. Guess what happened? It's still long =(:

#84764 - 03/20/09 03:28 AM Re: Me and my friend bowling [Re: Rickywin]
Rickywin Offline
Action Bowler

Should I think of trying to accelerate to the line? Almost like running? Maybe my third step will elongate and timing will fix itself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.