BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8420 - 07/18/05 09:23 AM ESPY's A Joke???
kagekikr Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34/M/Michigan
Congrats to Walter Ray???

Chalk this one up to name recognition. A lifetime achievement award would seem more suitable than an Espy for "Best Bowler." IMHO, there are only two "real" candidates for that title this year, and one didn't even get nominated for the ESPY! Of course I am talking about Patrick Allen and Tommy Jones. WRW got yet another High AVG. award, but only won one title. Isn't that what the PBA is about, titles? That is what they get $PAID$ for. My vote would have gone to Tommy Jones had he been there, but out of the group, it clearly should have gone to P.A. Admittedly, Allen has never been one of my favorites, but he deserved this. Mika, my hometown favorite,and Barnes also deserved this more than WRW. As for Liz Johnson, I don't have anything against women, heck, I love them, but to have her standing there instead of Tommy Jones is just ridiculous. Just my opinion... what's yours?
Elite Blue Alien
Brunswick Scorchin' Inferno
Brunswick Inferno
Brunswick Plastic "Spare" Ball

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8421 - 07/22/05 07:08 AM Re: ESPY's A Joke???
Darrell Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 46 Male Michigan
"kagekikr", Tommy Jones would have gotten my vote. Because he was nearly indomitable this season when he got to the TV finals.
Never-the-less, I like WRW, he was a statistical force as well as a major treat when he appeared on TV finals. He even very humbly demurred the fans choice when he recieved the title.
Congratulations WRW!

--------------------
May all your corner pins fall

#8422 - 07/22/05 09:31 AM Re: ESPY's A Joke???
Chief Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 50/Male/Michigan
Hey guys, sounds like the Michigan Contingent is pretty much in agreement on this subject. I can say that Mika is very approachable although he is quite reserved off the lanes. However how there could be any dispute regarding Tommy Jones is beyond me. Maybe our sport is becoming more mainstream because this selection reminds me of some All Star ballots in other sports. As for Liz Johnson, she excelled when the outside line is there but obviously struggles when she has to move inside. Besides am I the only one who thinks she looks like Peggy Hill on the King of the Hill show? No problem with Female Bowlers on my part since I am a student of Aleta Sill who I admire greatly. 20+ titles.

#8423 - 07/26/05 12:07 PM Re: ESPY's A Joke???
Jeff B Offline
Junior

A/S/L: M/33/WI
LMAO Chief with the Peggy Hill comment!!!! Aleta is great! ESPN has been BEGGING for someone to step up on the PBA younger to help make their coverage sell and it almost seems like Jones doesn't fit what they are looking for. FOr awhile they had Pete on everything, promos, the Hot Seat, all that stuff. PBA bowlers don't have the same makeup as NFL or NBA guys, hence they don't seem to get the ESPN clout at the ESPY's WRW was a safe choice for them, deserving or not.

#8424 - 08/18/05 11:44 AM Re: ESPY's A Joke???
Flamenco Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/Singapore
Its like the MTV awards. just for fun, no actual point.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.