BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83600 - 03/10/09 10:13 AM PBA South Region Tourney this weekend
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
I'll be bowling in my first PBA event this weekend in Milton, FL. It's on the Viper, which is probably my favorite pattern so I'm hoping to do well. After watching the regional in November in Fort Walton Beach instead of bowling in it, I decided I didn't want to sit another one out. Hope to have some good stories to bring back!

Edited by Chubbs (03/10/09 10:13 AM)

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#83676 - 03/10/09 05:53 PM Re: PBA South Region Tourney this weekend [Re: Chubbs]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Good luck.
HS:763

#83706 - 03/11/09 12:13 AM Re: PBA South Region Tourney this weekend [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
kwik8 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/m/Md
Good luck, good you are confident on the pattern should help.

#83708 - 03/11/09 12:28 AM Re: PBA South Region Tourney this weekend [Re: kwik8]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Hope you've got some good things to report after it's over as well. Good luck.

#84167 - 03/14/09 11:31 PM Re: PBA South Region Tourney this weekend [Re: Jay R.]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

Well fellahs, that was more humble pie than one should eat in a sitting. I didn't come in dead last, but it was close. After the third game, it had gotten so ugly that I decided all I was going to do was hit the head pin and then clean up what was left. The problem was I couldn't it hit a target to save my life all day long, especially with the spare ball. I don't know what's wrong with me now, but practicing is making it worse. It might be a summer of only softball and golf. Sorry not to have any fun stories to share.

#84173 - 03/15/09 01:10 AM Re: PBA South Region Tourney this weekend [Re: Chubbs]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Sorry to hear that Chubbs. What was the pattern? Also, maybe you can shed some light on how lane courtesy works in PBA events because I'm a little confused. I understand that you have to wait for someone on both pairs on either side of you to throw a shot before you get up to bowl your first shot. But 1) Do you have to do the same thing for your spare shot? If not, when may you go? And 2)Since there's most likely two people on a pair up at the same time(one for each lane), how do you determine which of you goes? My guess is the person on the lane that is behind(i.e I'm the second person on lane one and the second person one lane two just finished), and besides the beginning of each game two people across from each other(on the computer) won't be getting up to bowl at the same time.

Thanks for any help.

#84185 - 03/15/09 07:04 AM Re: PBA South Region Tourney this weekend [Re: Chubbs]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Sorry you didn't bowl well Chubbs, post a video and maybe I can see what's going on.

What was your ball reaction like, too strong, or too weak?

Did you get to cross with any of the big boys, they were off this week?

I've personally never known anyone to get better by taking the summer off, so don't expect to give up bowling, then come back in the fall and be better than you are right now.

#84211 - 03/15/09 02:40 PM Re: PBA South Region Tourney this weekend [Re: CoachJim]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

Amateur-
Viper pattern, which is a favorite of mine. I had great looks from multiple angles with multiple balls in practice on Friday, but Saturday was different. I'd never bowled in that house before, and it turned out to be a very high friction synthetic. I think every ball I used is going to need a resurface because the track is so burnt.

The lane courtesy isn't as complex as it sounds. When it's your turn, you wait for the person on your pair opposite you to bowl, then wait for someone on the pairs either side of you. If you leave a spare, that cycle starts all over. Not that cosmic, but wow is it slow. The eight game block took 6 hours yesterday.

Coach-
No big names came out for the tourney. Learned recently that we have a Silver level coach/IPBSIA Pro Shop guy in the area about an hour away, so I'm going visit him soon. I tried following the crowd left with transition, and I found that the further left we went, the more inconsistent my reaction became. The breakdown happened so fast that I was really struggling to keep up with it. I'd leave an 8 or 9, change hand position on the next shot to smooth out the backend, and then leave a pocket 7-10 or 5-7 etc. Change hand position back, move in, and then leave a 2-10. As I moved deeper, it felt like I couldn't keep my fingers in the ball long enough to apply the revs needed to get the ball to recover since the breakpoint stayed around 5 for the whole block. Tried tightening the fingers with tape to no avail, perhaps a pitch adjustment? I don't think I'll stop bowling altogether, but I'm such a mess right now that it's tough to get excited about it. This, too, shall pass though I'm sure thumbsup.

#84213 - 03/15/09 03:11 PM Re: PBA South Region Tourney this weekend [Re: Chubbs]
kwik8 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/m/Md
try not to let it get you down having a tough tournament. I just got back to bowling and have been struggling and have a sub 200 average for the first time since juniors. I string 4 or 5 have a decent game going then leave a 10 and get frustrated, don't concentrate and miss my spare etc.etc. 230+ games become 180ish=190ish. I was getting really frustrated a few weeks ago but bowled a 700 series and that helped pick up my spirits a bit and made me feel a little better. So much of bowling is mental. Anyhow at least you got some experience. Sorry to hear you didn't bowl better.

#84235 - 03/15/09 07:57 PM Re: PBA South Region Tourney this weekend [Re: Chubbs]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Chubbs, were all of the scores down, or just yours?

The ones you saw scoring well, how were they playing the shot, (ball, drilling, standing, aiming, break point, rotation and speed)?

Usually when you are getting an over/under reaction, your ball didn't have enough surface and wasn't burning up enough energy before hitting the pins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/19/19 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.