I've never been to Nationals before, but am going this year. I'm mulling over these two options for getting my balls out there, and I'd like some advice, guidance, tips.
1. Shipping via bowling ball express:
* seems reliable (it is endorsed by the USBC)
* cost isn't outrageous
* won't have to pay extra to an airline
* won't have to rely on baggage handlers not to steal or damage my balls or shoes
* separates the balls from the bag which contains all my other bowling stuff (shoes, tape, notebook
* can't be assured my equipment will arrive at the tourney and back home as quickly as I might want
2. Take with me on the flight:
* can keep my balls and bag together
* won't have to wonder what happened if my bag is lost; airlines usually get it back to you in time and I'll have nearly 2 days before bowling starts
* cost per bag (<50 lbs) is competitive with BBE
* have to rely on baggage handlers (I'm sure they do their best, but I've seen lots of damaged luggage in my time)
* some luggage compartments are unheated and not pressurized and this could result in cracked balls (temps are below -20 degrees at 20000 feet)
* I'll still have to transport my ball bag (have a 4 ball roller, but may only take the top portion of it)
I'm definitely leaning toward BBE, but I'd like to have some experienced people give their input. Thanks.