BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83464 - 03/09/09 12:57 PM Bowling Balls and bag to USBC Tourney
Dan300 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40s/M/Woodbridge, VA
I've never been to Nationals before, but am going this year. I'm mulling over these two options for getting my balls out there, and I'd like some advice, guidance, tips.

1. Shipping via bowling ball express:
pros:
* seems reliable (it is endorsed by the USBC)
* cost isn't outrageous
* won't have to pay extra to an airline
* won't have to rely on baggage handlers not to steal or damage my balls or shoes
cons:
* separates the balls from the bag which contains all my other bowling stuff (shoes, tape, notebook, etc)
* can't be assured my equipment will arrive at the tourney and back home as quickly as I might want

2. Take with me on the flight:
pros:
* can keep my balls and bag together
* won't have to wonder what happened if my bag is lost; airlines usually get it back to you in time and I'll have nearly 2 days before bowling starts
* cost per bag (<50 lbs) is competitive with BBE
cons:
* have to rely on baggage handlers (I'm sure they do their best, but I've seen lots of damaged luggage in my time)
* some luggage compartments are unheated and not pressurized and this could result in cracked balls (temps are below -20 degrees at 20000 feet)
* I'll still have to transport my ball bag (have a 4 ball roller, but may only take the top portion of it)

I'm definitely leaning toward BBE, but I'd like to have some experienced people give their input. Thanks.
300s: 13 total

Season (14-15):
----
HSS: 822
HSG: 300(2)

Averages(1/8/15):
----
Composite: 225
WMCL: 235
Stan Soaper: 219
Men's Automotive: 220

Balls(15#):
----
HyperCell Skid
HyperCell
Infinite Theory
Wrecker

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#83468 - 03/09/09 01:18 PM Re: Bowling Balls and bag to USBC Tourney [Re: Dan300]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
If you do BBE, you still have to take bags with you. To ship them, you have to ship them in bowling ball boxes or totes. They will not ship them in normal ball bags.

I have (2) 2 ball bags that I take with me to Nationals that I take on the plane with me (checked). Never had an issue. I put an extra towel around each ball. Wouldn't worry about the temp. The area may not be heated but it will be outside temp at take off and the rest of the plane is heated so some of the heat will transfer. If you were flying for like 12 hours, I might worry. Not 4 or 5.

#83493 - 03/09/09 03:59 PM Re: Bowling Balls and bag to USBC Tourney [Re: General Pounder]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I've checked my balls on the airlines. Course, that was before they had to pay. I have a 4 ball roller. Top is 42# and the bottom with the roller is 46#. They have been OK on arrival many times. I pack t-shirts and socks around the balls for protection.

Once, my balls made an earlier flight than I did. When I deplaned and looked for my balls, they were not there. I went to put in a tracer or claim, and the clerk pointed to the corner. There were my balls waiting for me. Whew, was I relieved.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#83494 - 03/09/09 04:04 PM Re: Bowling Balls and bag to USBC Tourney [Re: Dennis Michael]
General Pounder Offline

Oh, 1 last thing. Don't try to save money and bring them carry on. The TSA agents don't understand bowling ball cores and think that you are trying to carry something on that you shouldn't.

#83498 - 03/09/09 04:20 PM Re: Bowling Balls and bag to USBC Tourney [Re: General Pounder]
bradw Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 37/M/oklahoma city
i had to explain the ball core to the TSA agents. they also wiped my ball to see if there were any traces of explosive material.
Lane #1 - Agent Orange
Lane #1 - Blue Death
Lane #1 - Teal THS
900 Global - Bank
Motiv - Recon

HG: 255
HS: 647

#83585 - 03/10/09 07:54 AM Re: Bowling Balls and bag to USBC Tourney [Re: bradw]
Dan300 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40s/M/Woodbridge, VA
Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like I'll be reconsidering using BBE and perhaps checking them after all.
300s: 13 total

Season (14-15):
----
HSS: 822
HSG: 300(2)

Averages(1/8/15):
----
Composite: 225
WMCL: 235
Stan Soaper: 219
Men's Automotive: 220

Balls(15#):
----
HyperCell Skid
HyperCell
Infinite Theory
Wrecker

#83588 - 03/10/09 08:37 AM Re: Bowling Balls and bag to USBC Tourney [Re: Dan300]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Dan, the trouble I had with BBE was I had to book my balls early, and they were not available to use for regular league, either before Nationals, and sometimes late afterwards. This year, we bowl after league ends, so that may not be a problem.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#83595 - 03/10/09 09:28 AM Re: Bowling Balls and bag to USBC Tourney [Re: Dennis Michael]
General Pounder Offline

I have the same issue Dennis. I bowl my summer league on Tuesdays. I think that you need to ship them a week early so I wouldn't have my equipment there for the week before Nationals. Plus, I bowl on Sunday and Monday night so my stuff wouldn't leave until Tuesday. I miss that week but I have a week to get my stuff. If not, I am bowling another week without my equipment.

If you can, fly Southwest. No baggage fee for the first 2.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - Yesterday at 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by champ - 07/22/19 05:30 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/21/19 07:26 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.