BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8343 - 04/11/05 12:24 PM What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
899 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: M, WV
I wonder if anybody on this forum was actually at the TV finals and saw what the "young man in the yellow" did?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8344 - 04/11/05 02:41 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Gorney Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/Male/Illinois
The first time, some person in yellow got up in the middle of his shot and went to walk out but realized, late, what he was doing and sat back down real quick.. Randy wasn't happy.

The second time, a person in the stands sneezed or coughed just as Randy was in his third/fourth step and he said he couldn't stop but the noise was enough for him to pull his head up a bit and not be able to concentrate on the shot and grab a little bit at the end of it.

PBA, however, was not to happy with Randy's actions toward the people, especially with the second incident where he took TV time to say something to the fan, in a very condencending way.

But it is a sport and these kind of things happen, I do think that Randy did over react a little bit, it isn't like a league bowler bowls in a quiet seating every week, we have to deal with those noises and sometimes have it even worse with drunk teammates.

#8345 - 04/11/05 03:16 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
TurboManGT Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 22/M/Detroit
I agree joe. I remember I think it was at the beginning of the season. Some fan took a flash picture of Walter Ray just as he was about to release the ball. And Walter blinked and pulled up out of the shot and left the big four. And Walter kept his composer on camera lol I don't know if he said anything off camera.

#8346 - 04/11/05 03:59 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Buck Rabbit Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 51/M/Portland OR/LH
If I were bowling for big bucks, I would seriously consider ear plugs if noise bothered me. I think though that the thing that really spooks the pros are flashes and movement from people in the bleachers that are located forward of the foul lines, something we thankfully never have to deal with.

I get bothered if a person on my left side within 2 or 3 lanes of me (I am left-handed) goes at roughly the same time I do but gets ahead of me. If I can't block it out, I stop and I can successfully stop at any point prior to release. I don't come to an abrupt stop I just swing without releasing until the ball comes up and I bring it in. Happens about once every couple league sessions. I almost always make a very good, focused shot on the retry for some reason.

Maybe Randy and I should try those peripheral vision blinders they put on race horses.

#8347 - 04/11/05 05:08 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
I agree with you guys to a certain extent. But there are some people that don't seem to realize that Randy was bowling for money and had a lot riding on the line. I think from what I observed in in general about today's generation is that most people lack consideration for the other person and a lack of manners and respect. Us league bowlers are not in the situation where Randy was where he had everything on the line. I guess that I'm just too old schooled but right is right, people should have been considerate of Randy's wishes the first time there was an incident. And the PBA should do something to fans who just flash their cameras at a bowler's most crucial time. I think that they should only allow photos taken at certain time. And the TV finals was definately not the time and place to flash cameras.

#8348 - 04/11/05 05:31 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
TurboManGT Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 22/M/Detroit
Well I commend Randy for staying as cool as he did. I would have jumped into the stands and chased that guy down lol

#8349 - 04/11/05 05:45 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Gorney Offline
Bracket Donor

Don't get me wrong but Randy did have a lot riding on that shot. Mainly his career and exempt status. Which is more the reason why I think something like that shouldn't have distracted him, but then again I am not in his position during that shot.

The only thing I can relate it to is my Mini-eliminator finals appearances, my ABT Finals Apperances, and my league Roll-Off appearances, in a legaue where first place is rewarded with a check for over $1,500 per member.

All of which I have had to deal with people screaming, belching, talking loudly and even the jacka$$ who likes to drop his bowling ball on the lanes, during the opponents backswing.

#8350 - 04/11/05 10:33 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
SDBowler Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 18/Male/Chamberlain, South Dak...
PBA bowlers like Randy SHOULD NOT be getting all upset about this.

Randy is Randy and SHOULD stick to broadcasting.

It's not like Randy has been in every final. He has been on the bubble the whole year.

Randy,.....get over it

#8351 - 04/12/05 08:05 AM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Gorney Offline
Bracket Donor

I don't think he should stick to broadcasting, I do think he should check himself at the door to make sure that he is mentally prepared. But in this format of the PBA everyone deserves a chance, if we don't give that, then we will see the same 7 people every single week bowling on TV, how fun is that too watch.

#8352 - 04/12/05 09:54 AM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
Hey SDBowler are you a big of an Earl Anthony fan as I am. I like the fact that you used Earl as an Example at the end of your post. I made me wonder if you are. Yes I totally agree that Earl would have not let any kind of distraction bother him. You got that right about Earl. I strongly feel the Earl is the greatest bowler that ever threw a bowling ball. Yes [censored] Weber is one of the greatest ledgends, but in my book Earl is tops. I have a big shrine of Earl in my apartment and has been a big inspiration to me and my bowling. Let's keep in touch sometime.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Help me with drill layout and other questions.
by Joe Bowler - 10 minutes 3 seconds ago
New Targeting Formula
by Joe Bowler - 32 minutes 10 seconds ago
Sign-up for Fall '14 V-league open (close 8/17)
by Richie V. - 34 minutes 10 seconds ago
Input on my form and approaches
by Joe Bowler - Today at 02:31 PM
Approach Advice
by Joe Bowler - Today at 02:24 PM
How to match a ball to the player's style?
by SteveH - Today at 10:04 AM
Problem hitting my target/mark.
by rrb6699 (RayRay) - Yesterday at 07:08 PM
Ball Speed Calculator
by Eternal Bowler - Yesterday at 03:46 PM
Fall/Winter 2013-14 Leagues thread
by Richie V. - 04/16/14 09:59 PM
2014 USBC Open Championships
by Richie V. - 04/16/14 01:47 PM
Storm IQ Tour Fusion Video Ball Review
by SteveH - 04/16/14 10:16 AM
My complete set of 8 PBA 2014 League jerseys!!!
by BIGHMW - 04/15/14 11:28 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2014 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.