BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8373 - 04/14/05 02:05 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Angel Offline

A/S/L: F/So Cal
Agreed, Coachrich.

Mary Allen, you're virtually my age, and people of "our age" do indeed still instill values and expect behavioral guidelines in our children.

There are bad apples in all ages, and it's not because their mommas didn't raise them right.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8374 - 04/14/05 02:24 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Gorney Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/Male/Illinois
Thank you Angel, I, myself being 25, do believe that I have the manners to obey rules and have more ettiquette than the 40 somethings on my thursday night league, and a lot of the guys that I run into on the ABT tourneys.

#8375 - 04/14/05 02:52 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
I came from the old school. And when I was a child that if I showed any bad manners or was inconsiderate of anyone, my father would warn me. And just from the sterness in his voice scared me to stop my behavior. But there had been a time that I would disobey him and he would get his belt or a switch and whip some sense into me and from that day forward I never behaved in that way ever. I turned out ok I think even though I had strict parents. So I now thank my father for instilling into me smile to be considerate of others in every way shape or form.

#8376 - 04/14/05 03:58 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Gorney Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 42/Male/Illinois
I don't know about you but I get [censored] at parent's who have children that wlak all over them.

I even said to a parent once, that you better spank that kid or discipline him or he is goign to be out of control.

Her response to me " I will sue you if you ever try to tell me how to raise my kid again "

It is sad that this is the generation raising our children now.

#8377 - 04/14/05 05:50 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Mary Allen Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 34 female Columbus, Ohio
Hey Joexeception I totally agree with you on that one. There are kids that need to be put in their place and under control. In today's generation it's the children that are the products of their parents that don't discipline their kids. I spank my kids when necessary and if someone were to tell me not to spank my kids I'll kindly tell them to mind their own business. People who say "I'll sue you if you ever try to tell me how to raise my kid again" or "don't spank your kids" are the ones that you see on Maury or some talk show the feature parents that are scared of their children that either beat them up or threaten to kill their parents. And you know what I don't feel sorry for those parents, because they practically brought it on themselves. I have two girls and they respect me and because I disipline them when they need it I have very few problems out of them. And my girls love and respect me and see me as their role model.

#8378 - 04/14/05 08:55 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I will tell you that I am a court officer. I work in the court rooms with judges all day long. I work in Family Court, so I see this very subject all day long. It is a touchy subject. I am from an old fashioned west indian household. Very Strict. I grew up living in a household where it was accepted that if you stepped out of line, you got punished for it( a beating ). In my household, you spare the rod-you spoil the child.

Now move to 2005. Be very careful how you treat your kids and who you tell about it! For your own good. I don't know what the laws are like in your town but here in NY they frown upon capital punishment. Many parents have been brought to Family Court on Neglect charges for the very thing your talking about. Kids have been taken away for this very thing. While I know the value of discipline. I also know the law. If you hit a child enough to bruise or not even bruise, just to have the kid complain to the wrong person and you won't have to worry about being sued. You might have to worry about going to jail.

I also take exception to putting everyone into one group. I see many kids in court of all colors and all money categories. If the parent doesn't show the child the proper attention then they have discipline problems. I also see many people from all age groups that could learn a thing or two from some kids from today. No manners. I have held the door for people and they walk right through and say nothing. Not kids, grown folks older than I.
I call that stereotyping. I argue with my mother in law about this all the time. I tell her to be very careful. Times have changed.

This is real interesting, but it has gotten a little off topic. I wish Randy a lot of luck at tour trials.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#8379 - 04/14/05 11:01 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Flamenco Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 21/m/Singapore
Hey smooth stroker, looks like we grew up in very similar households. I am from a more traditional chinese household, where my parents also believed in "spare the rod spoil the child". But I have to point out to everyone that when I had rare inspirational moments where I did something good, my parents would not hesitate to reward me.

Personally I benefitted from such treatment. I have to admit that I was absolutely awful as a child, I constantly got into fights at school, with my parents and destroyed furniture etc and generally caused my parents alot of grief. I did not get intimidated by scoldings or warnings, only spanking could me put me in my place. I love my parents for that.

While I do not support spanking for all, I do believe that in certain cases with certain children(like me) it is needed.

One of the reasons I support the view that many(not all) of the latest generation behave badly is because I have spoken to many teachers in my country and the response is that more and more parents threaten to sue at the drop of a hat. There are some that won't even allow the teacher to scold the child at all claiming that it causes trauma! Its like what JoeXception and Mary Allen mentioned. Some parents are getting overprotective of their children to the point where they do not discipline them and even become afraid of them. I do not know what it is like in your respective countries, but this is what's happening here

While there are bad apples of ALL age groups, I believe there is more violence and misbehaviour with the latest group of youths due to lack of proper parenting.

#8380 - 04/15/05 01:15 AM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Jason Fewell Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 32/Male/Mckinney, Tx
Hey all, I grew up scared to death of my dad. I didn't get the beatings, but I knew when I pushed my luck too far. A stern look was enough. I got my shares of spankings, but I also grew up and am drug free and have no criminal record. I rarely spank my two, only when they seem to forget who the boss is...My reward..., "Wow, your kids are so polite and have manners...". I get pretty torqued up over these kids on Maury, etc. Unfortunately we have no say over others kids, we can only raise our own to know wrong from right and which decision is best. We can only hope our kids do not fall in with the wrong crowd when they reach their upper teens. Anyway, Randy got robbed! Congrats again to Jaros.....

#8381 - 04/15/05 06:53 AM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
budvangogh Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 48/M/Texas
Randy Peterson is a great bowler but a stiff fine is in order for his excessive histrionics following his match--His exempt status was on the line, but lets face it, hes got a network job to fall back on every week--Peterson has been a touring pro for 20+ years, so he certainly is aware that his behavior was over the top--Getting momentarily upset is understandable, but a meltdown like that is the definition of unprofessional--
As for Brian Voss as a commentator,uh,well, all i can say is "stay in front of the table"--- :rolleyes:

#8382 - 04/15/05 05:46 PM Re: What happened to Randy Pedersen Sunday?
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I didn't mean capital punishment, I meant corporal punishment.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 05/17/19 09:17 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/13/19 02:12 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by dalion - 04/29/19 11:19 AM
Help with spare shooting
by Dennis Michael - 04/22/19 07:27 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.