BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83325 - 03/08/09 01:05 AM Slide step short of foul line, bad?
g00b3r Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 22, Eastern Iowa
Ever since my back surgery in '03, coming back into bowling I went to a 4-step approach. I have noticed on my slide step I am ending up about 8-10" short of the foul line on release, sometimes a little more. I don't seem to be taking short steps, and on my slide I never seem to abruptly stop. I just take comfortable steps.

Is it bad form or just plain 'ol bad to be coming up that short? Would my game improve to force myself to make a longer stride to end up a bit closer to the front of the lane?

Series Bowled: 14
Total Pinfall: 8676
Average: 206.6
High Game/Series: 279/738

Bag: 15#
Brunswick Wild Ride
Brunswick BVP Sidewinder
Brunswick Shock Zone Pro
Storm Trauma Recovery
Storm Fear Factor

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#83327 - 03/08/09 01:46 AM Re: Slide step short of foul line, bad? [Re: g00b3r]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
So before, you were taking more steps? I'd have to assume you didn't move up on the approach from where you used to stand, prior to the change. If you move up half a foot, you would probably end up only 3 or so inches from the foul line, which is a good position in my opinion. I'd recommend only moving up 2 inches until you're comfortable, then 2 more and so on until you feel you're close enough. I say that because I'm thinking if you make a huge jump up you might feel cramped all of a sudden, so gradual moves would help you work up to it.

#83461 - 03/09/09 12:44 PM Re: Slide step short of foul line, bad? [Re: Jay R.]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I think Amateur hit the nail on the head. I think your starting position is just too far back. I think if you were another 5 or so inches closer to the line at the start you would be better suited. The 2 inch at a time thing is also a good idea I think.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#83465 - 03/09/09 12:59 PM Re: Slide step short of foul line, bad? [Re: sk8shorty01]
Russ I. Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/m/wis
So to touch on this alittle and not hijack.
IF I'm stopping at about a 1ft from the line is that Bad?
My guess is yes. Would it improve my accuracy?
PAP 4 7/8" x 0

#83471 - 03/09/09 01:50 PM Re: Slide step short of foul line, bad? [Re: Russ I.]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Well, from a previous post you might guess that ending up too short from the foul line will cause you to put the ball down before the foul line which to me is a safety issue from oil transfer to the approach. Its also not good for the approach they are not made to take the impact of bowling balls.

Another thought is that if you are aiming at the arrows (for example) its easier to hit a target that's closer to you. Why would you delibertly lengthen your target point? If you watch dart players, none of them stand a foot or so behind the line. They want to be as close as possible to help fascilitate hitting a target. 8-10 inches? Not bad not good. Couple feet? Not good.

Erin

#83486 - 03/09/09 03:09 PM Re: Slide step short of foul line, bad? [Re: Atochabsh]
EddieK Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 52/M/USA
coming up 8-10" short of the foul line is not a big deal, as long as you're getting the ball out over the foul line. by all means, move up a little closer and see if that helps. but if it doesn't, don't do anything to throw your whole game out of whack trying to fix a "problem" that might not exist. if what you're doing feels natural and you're getting good results, then it is "correct" for your game. we are not clones.

i have been bowling for 40+ yrs and i've seen a LOT of good bowlers whose slides ended 10" to a foot behind the foul line. i do agree that more than a foot is probably not good.

as for me, i have the opposite problem, my foot stops right at the foul line and sometimes goes over! in league, i foul about once a month(usually on a good shot, of course!)

#83641 - 03/10/09 02:28 PM Re: Slide step short of foul line, bad? [Re: EddieK]
g00b3r Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 22, Eastern Iowa
Thanks for the replies guys, I usually start with the tips of my shoes covering my position dots...I'm going to try and work on moving myself a little closer. I release the ball onto the lanes no problem, but have noticed if I do end up stopping even further away I will leverage the ball or drop my shoulder, thinking I need to compensate the distance with more hook...not intentionally though.

So I think if I can break my barrier of getting a little closer I might eliminate that.

Thanks again for the replies! laugh

Edited by g00b3r (03/10/09 02:30 PM)

Series Bowled: 14
Total Pinfall: 8676
Average: 206.6
High Game/Series: 279/738

Bag: 15#
Brunswick Wild Ride
Brunswick BVP Sidewinder
Brunswick Shock Zone Pro
Storm Trauma Recovery
Storm Fear Factor

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 4 minutes 40 seconds ago
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by Dennis Michael - Today at 01:00 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - Today at 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - Today at 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.