BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83359 - 03/08/09 03:50 PM Re: Sport Pattern [Re: ]
MJA Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/Ft. Wayne IN
I also willing doing a sport league here shortly (spring). I'm curious to this post also.
15# Crossroad
"all with switch grips"

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#83361 - 03/08/09 04:10 PM Re: Sport Pattern [Re: MJA]
A K
Unregistered

I wish I had a benchmark ball today like the hy-road or two.

the lanes were easy, can't have the ball right of the 1st arrow or its not coming back. shoot anywhere in the track area and it was a strike or good count.

i struck only 4 times the whole day though.. only shot a 520. w/e i had fun it was a good learning experience. and only shows me that i need to get coaching and get in some pbax leagues.

Edited by A K (03/08/09 04:31 PM)
Edit Reason: oops counting errors like a 12 year old

#83395 - 03/08/09 10:46 PM Re: Sport Pattern [Re: ]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
You only struck 4 times because you didn't have the dry outside boards to help drive your ball through the pocket. This is why the pros try to create a hook spot by going straight at first and using a higher friction ball.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#83398 - 03/08/09 11:30 PM Re: Sport Pattern [Re: Smooth Stroker]
A K
Unregistered

thats what i did.

i was standing on like 2-4 i'd guess and throwing over 1st arrow. i kept missing right.. then saying to myself "you can't miss right you idiot its not coming back.. AT LEAST miss left if you're going to miss" and i kept missing right.

i should have just went safe and moved a few boards in.

#83404 - 03/09/09 01:36 AM Re: Sport Pattern [Re: ]
Rickywin Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 19/M/CA
Bowling is a weird game. The mental game is usually more important, once you have a decent physical game. By telling yourself "idiot, you can't miss right..." I tend to throw it right. You're mind thinks "throw it right" instead of "can't throw it right". Instead of thinking it, you probably should have closed your shoulders a bit considerably, and position your feet toward the 7 pin (not so drastic, but you get the general direction). Its what I have to do for the sport pattern we bowl on during league.

#83416 - 03/09/09 03:29 AM Re: Sport Pattern [Re: Rickywin]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
I think you were not playing the right part of the lane.

You should have tried rolling straight on board 8 or 9.

Bowling klub

#83427 - 03/09/09 07:59 AM Re: Sport Pattern [Re: Luksa]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
I agree with Luksa. You didn't strike more because you were playing to far out.

#83454 - 03/09/09 12:07 PM Re: Sport Pattern [Re: Lefty]
A K
Unregistered

exactly that's when i stopped. i started playing one board left of the first dot (in the middle of the approach) and 1 board left of the 2nd dot. then i tried after all of this failed in the 3rd game i started moving over way deeper like 25 board at the feet and i was just throwing it over to where it would eventually break when it hit dry and strike..

hey that didn't work either. but it left me with some pretty easy spares.

#83459 - 03/09/09 12:37 PM Re: Sport Pattern [Re: ]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Most sport patterns you need to be playing straight up the boards, not swinging the ball. If you were standing 25 and playing anywhere near the first or second arrow then you were just swinging the ball way to much. You need to be standing somewhere around 15-18 and go straight up 8 or so. If need be you can always move parallel to the right.

The mental thing is big too. You should always be concentrating on what you want to do, not what you don't want to do. You should say "just hit your target, thats all you have to do" not "don't miss your target idiot". Its the same as golf, if you get up to the tee box and say to yourself "Just don't hit it in the water" you are going to hit it in the water because you are bringing attention to the thing you don't want to hit.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#83460 - 03/09/09 12:39 PM Re: Sport Pattern [Re: sk8shorty01]
A K
Unregistered

good learning lesson i guess.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.