BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83064 - 03/06/09 07:43 AM Re: fix my swing [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
From the little I could see, seems like you are pushing the ball out to the right and making a figure 8 in the backswing.

Hold the ball to the side, and push off straight. Keep your elbow tight to your body and your swing plane straight.

You also don't walk towards your target. You take a slight step to the left (2), then step in front of your body with your slide (4) to release the ball out toward your target. This pulls the ball behind your back to change the downward plane to the outside. below the waste, you are walking one direction, while above the waste, your torso turns to your target. The offset slide compensates for that.

Walk towards your target, not straight down 35, then slide at 22. Your side step to the right after release tells you your upper body is off balance because it is turned to the right. Keep your shoulders perpendicular to your target line and walk straight towards it.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#83075 - 03/06/09 09:18 AM Re: fix my swing [Re: Dennis Michael]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with CoachJim that your timing is very late. Your push away should be timed with your first step (right foot) and the ball should stay right on top of the foot and fall with the compression of the first step. Your pushing the ball away during your second step and its causing you to pull the ball throughout the swing.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#83227 - 03/07/09 12:43 AM Re: fix my swing [Re: sk8shorty01]
uniqueblinds Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 31/M/Carol Stream Illinois

so i need to start the ball a lot sooner. also as far as walking left. i feel like i have to so i can get to that part of the lane.
storm hyroad
virtual gravity
emerald vibe
black widow
vapor zone
playmaker
nvd
complete nv
tropical storm
all 15#

#83237 - 03/07/09 04:40 AM Re: fix my swing [Re: uniqueblinds]
A K
Unregistered

muscling the ball will do that to you. On the first shot it looks like you go straight back and then since you're muscling the ball forward instead of it swinging in its path that it should.. it just goes straight forward once it hits that point.

#83239 - 03/07/09 05:35 AM Re: fix my swing [Re: uniqueblinds]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Let's break it down step by step.

1. Your set up, you are holding the ball a bit low, unless you are trying to throw the ball slow, hold it a bit higher. Elbow height should be your medium setting, ball higher than your elbow for faster speed, lower for slower. I would also like to see your head over your right foot just a pinch more so the ball is between your head and your right foot.

2. First step looks pretty good, I can't see your feet in the shot, so I will assume your foot started straight toward your target.

3. Second step, the ball should have started forward with your left hand taking the weight of the ball forward and slightly upward. Your ball is already leaking off to the right before you have even started it.

4. Third step the ball has just started and a foot off to the right of where it should be. Keep that elbow in tight to your body. If you look, the ball is not swinging, you are pulling it. This usually indicates a bad ball fit to where you have to squeeze the ball to hang onto it, you should never have to squeeze the ball to hang onto it, see your Pro Shop if this is the case. The ball should be behind you in your third step just past your right hip. This step goes off to the left, my guess is to allow the ball to pass your right hip. Starting the ball a step earlier will solve this I think.

5. 4th step, the ball is still going back, it should be at the top of the back swing when the right foot compresses. The right foot is now diving back to the right to make up for the left foot stepping off to the left on the previous shot, again starting the ball with the first right foot step should solve this. The ball should be dead in line with your head and the target, you can see that the entire ball and then some is to the left of your head. Again, letting the ball swing your arm nice and easy and starting it with your right foot should solve this.

6. The slide is way back to the right, the ball is so far out to the right that you are having to pull it back to hit your target. It went from way left at the top of the back swing to way right on the way down to way left again at the release, you might want to fix this before you tear a rotator cuff. You are bending from the waist trying to force the ball out to the right, the key here is you are "TRYING" instead of just letting it happen. You are going to have to turn your inner control freak off if you want to get ahead in bowling.

Good luck, post another video when you are ready.

#83274 - 03/07/09 06:30 PM Re: fix my swing [Re: CoachJim]
uniqueblinds Offline
Bantam

the more i look the more i feel it's my elbow more than anything. it looks like my elbow gets outside the ball so early that it is forcing me to loop. i am going to practice on the national shot at a local house. i am going to work on starting the ball with my right foot and keeping my elbow inside the ball. it's weird. 10 years ago i averaged 225 with less equipment hooking the ball as much as i wanted. from the age of 18-22 i had 9 300 games. i quit bowling from 22-25. i am now 31 and have not shot a 300 since i was 22. my average ranges from 205-215 on easier house shots with much better equipment. it's frustrating., hopefully i can fix it quickly and get back to scoring the way i used too.
storm hyroad
virtual gravity
emerald vibe
black widow
vapor zone
playmaker
nvd
complete nv
tropical storm
all 15#

#83275 - 03/07/09 06:31 PM Re: fix my swing [Re: uniqueblinds]
A K
Unregistered

muscle

#83279 - 03/07/09 07:01 PM Re: fix my swing [Re: ]
uniqueblinds Offline
Bantam

muscle? if i get my timing correct, it should take the muscle out and put my swing back in line? i feel i need to get my elbow back to regain leverage so i can repeat shots again.
storm hyroad
virtual gravity
emerald vibe
black widow
vapor zone
playmaker
nvd
complete nv
tropical storm
all 15#

#83299 - 03/07/09 08:40 PM Re: fix my swing [Re: uniqueblinds]
juggss6 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/St Paul, MN
Originally Posted By: uniqueblinds
muscle? if i get my timing correct, it should take the muscle out and put my swing back in line?

Yes, let the ball fall and trust that gravity will do the work for you. Your ball will always fall at the same speed and a straight line. The moment you introduce muscle into the equation, you start getting left and right movement.

I'm struggling with this as well but it's coming along nicely I think. It makes a lot of sense.

Originally Posted By: uniqueblinds
i feel i need to get my elbow back to regain leverage so i can repeat shots again.

You also need to get your elbow in, along with the above.

Edited by juggss6 (03/07/09 08:42 PM)

#83351 - 03/08/09 01:10 PM Re: fix my swing [Re: juggss6]
uniqueblinds Offline
Bantam

ok. will be trying it out today
storm hyroad
virtual gravity
emerald vibe
black widow
vapor zone
playmaker
nvd
complete nv
tropical storm
all 15#

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by Mkirchie - 08/09/20 03:49 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 08/08/20 04:33 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 07/18/20 08:37 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.