BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8282 - 08/30/04 02:59 PM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Bowlerdude Offline
Junior

A/S/L: SoCal
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Coach04:
Bowlerdude,

I don't find that any different than who decides on the ice surface for hockey, the course for the luge, the track condition for the horses, the surface for the curling, the compaction for the ski jump, surface conditions for skulling, the temprature in the stadium for track & field, etc. etc. etc.

I think you just don't get it. Does the surface used for hockey steer the puck into the net like lane conditioner does in bowling? If you think that lane conditions don't determine who is going to do well, then I think you need to take a look at certain events when certain styles are locked out! The lane condition can make you or break you no matter how good you are! And that is my point as to why bowling will never be an Olympic sport! The lane man is more important than the bowler!

If you require a certain lane condition before you can bowl, you wouldn't be a contender anyway. Eliminations would be no different than for any other Olympic team. Only the the ones who prove they have the right stuff make it to team USA.

What if the left side is easier than the right? Does that mean 95% of the lefthanders had the right stuff and righthanders weren't good enough?

Similar to the PBA, thousands join with the hope of competing, but 64 are selected. It has worked well for them, for many years.

The PBA is good example of how squad equity is a problem! Many times there is a huge difference in scoring from one squad to another! How would this be dealt with if there were ten times as many bowlers?

Bowling will never be in the Olympics as long as the scoring enviornment is more important than the bowlers!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8283 - 08/30/04 05:36 PM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Sorry Bowlerdude, but I don't agree with you, or your synopsis of the game.

#8284 - 08/30/04 06:17 PM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Well, I don't agree with you either BowlerDude and I'm sorry you've gotten so cynical about the game.

All you need to do is have trials at the games for varying patterns. Kind of like being a gymnist and participating in all the events for all around. You have 4 pieces of apparati :-) and you may be extremely good on only 2 of them, but you participate and do your best on all 4. Because its an overall event. Kind of like different patterns and lane conditions.

You can have team all around and individual all around. The lanes are stripped during each squad and the same pattern put down for each and changed when the bowlers move onto a different pattern i.e Christmas Tree, Top Hat, Strip Block, Inverted Block, Flat Pattern ect..... You bring in 32 portables, synthetic lanes, synthetic approaches, same oiling machine, same lane conditioner and all that.

The point would be versatility. So if the helocopter bowlers are not versital enough to participate on all the patterns, then they wouldn't have to. But then they'd not expect to win an all around type of event. If our power players and strokers cannot manage the dry lane condition, suited for the helocopters, then they'll take a hit on that condition.

If the game between the helocopter bowlers and what we know as ten pin bowling here, is so different, then I guess the IOC could even make up two different types of events. You've got 100 meter track, 200 and 400 meter track and not all the participants run in all of them. Some do, and they are the most versital. Not to mention the longer distances like marathon runners. You don't see marathon runners running the 100 meter. So maybe you'd not see helocopter bowlers, participating on our PBA patterns either. Just an idea if the difference is too great between styles.

Erin

#8285 - 08/31/04 03:58 AM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
BubbaD Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 25/m/utah
First of all Bowler dude since you mentioned Hockey I will continue your analysis.... so the ice condition has NOTHING to do with hockey eh? well what if you are a skater who skates very well on freshly prepped ice? well when the ice breaks down the player that skates well on poor ice is going to have the advantage....Bowling is the same... first of all I have NEVER seen a pattern that favors left handers or right handers... both sides are prepped equally.... or to the best that the lane machines can... and as long as the lane machine is kept in good working order and the same program is run on all lanes being bowled on then all players have an equal chance for high scoring... the fact that some may bowl better on some patterns than others is what makes this a sport... if we all could bowl strikes all the time then it would be BORING... my point is that in my opinion the biggest reason bowling isnt an olympic event is that there are no "international" rules set aside at least that i know of... ok I have rambled on and on enough....

#8286 - 08/31/04 12:33 PM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Santos314 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 34/Male/Missouri
Hi,
I might be wrong, but isn't Ping Pong in the Olympics? If it is I don't really think I'd call that a sport... nut

#8287 - 09/01/04 01:15 AM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Bowlerdude Offline
Junior

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by BubbaD:
first of all I have NEVER seen a pattern that favors left handers or right handers... both sides are prepped equally.... or to the best that the lane machines can... and as long as the lane machine is kept in good working order and the same program is run on all lanes being bowled on then all players have an equal chance for high scoring.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I take it you haven't been bowling for very long or you have never bowled any tournaments that bowled more than three games!

#8288 - 09/01/04 08:39 AM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
petrinjak Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 34/Male/Virginia
Bowlerdude, BubbaD is correct. There are no patterns that favor left-handed bowlers. However, considering that lefthanded bowlers are in the minority. When you have twice as many people on the right than you have on the left, the lines get eaten-up a bit faster. You are now kind of tossing out a statement that says left-handed bowlers are at an advantage. Well take a look at the top pba bowlers and see how many are left-handed. I am not arguing that leftys don't have to adjust as much but they still have to be accurate and consistant. In fact you might even be able to say that they have to be more acurate. Once the oil starts to move on the right hand side, some tracks start to develop that could actually be a little forgiving.

Oh and inciudently, what would your average and high game happen to be? I noticed that you did not list them. If you will notice, BubbaD has his 300 and an average of 212. I think he has been bowling long enough to make the statements he has.

#8289 - 09/01/04 11:25 AM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Dick Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Quarryville, Pa
I believe that arguing with "Bowlerdude" is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After awhile you realize that the pig enjoys it. :-)

#8290 - 09/01/04 06:04 PM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Bowlerdude Offline
Junior

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by petrinjak:
Bowlerdude, BubbaD is correct. There are no patterns that favor left-handed bowlers. However, considering that lefthanded bowlers are in the minority. When you have twice as many people on the right than you have on the left, the lines get eaten-up a bit faster. You are now kind of tossing out a statement that says left-handed bowlers are at an advantage. Well take a look at the top pba bowlers and see how many are left-handed. I am not arguing that leftys don't have to adjust as much but they still have to be accurate and consistant. In fact you might even be able to say that they have to be more acurate. Once the oil starts to move on the right hand side, some tracks start to develop that could actually be a little forgiving.

No, I'm not saying lefthanders have it easier, as a matter of fact it can work the other way and the left side gets locked out! This happens often on tour, if you pay attention you will see that long stretches occur when you don't see any lefties, then for three weeks in a row the lefthanders start cashing! Now why do you suppose this happens? It happens because they can't make the condition fair on both sides and the only way to keep it fair in terms of percentage of monies won is to manipulate the lane condition! Now if you are a lefthander and you take the wrong couple of weeks off you just missed your chance at making the cash! So as you see even on tour it's the lane condition that determines who cashes and when! If you don't think this is true then I suggest you talk to anyone in your area that has bowled on tour and I guarantee that they will back me up! The laneman will make you or break you and that is why bowling will never be in the Olympics!

Oh and inciudently, what would your average and high game happen to be? I noticed that you did not list them. If you will notice, BubbaD has his 300 and an average of 212. I think he has been bowling long enough to make the statements he has.

So I take it you are impressed with bowling averages that are bowled by house hacks that bowl on nothing but the great wall. LOL Nobody, and I mean no one is impressed with bowling 300 anymore! It's just one of over 40,000 that are bowled every year! Bowling 300 is a common occurrence and most of the time no one in the center is even aware that someone is in the process!</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">

#8291 - 09/01/04 06:40 PM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Bowlerdude Offline
Junior

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Santos314:
Hi,
I might be wrong, but isn't Ping Pong in the Olympics? If it is I don't really think I'd call that a sport... nut
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Well, at first glance it might seem that table tennis is a flippant sport compared to bowling, but I wonder how long it takes to become a good player! I have seen bowlers average 200 after having bowled for only 6 months and close to 210 after a year and a half! I doubt that table tennis is as easy as that! Geez..even ten and eleven year olds are Bowling 300 on a semi regular basis! Just recently an 80 year old man that was recovering from a stroke bowled a sanctioned 300! For a long time I used to ask friends [joking] how long it would be before a blind person bowled 300! Well about two or three years ago a legally blind man bowled a sanctioned 300! It's not a joke anymore when even blind people can do what only the really great players once took pride in! I wonder if any stroke victims or blind people are excelling at table tennis?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
I'll try again
by 82Boat69 - Today at 01:58 PM
Tiered Tape...
by djp1080 - Today at 12:46 PM
what will become of AMF
by BOSStull - Today at 09:41 AM
no one on for 5 days
by steveA - Yesterday at 04:31 PM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - 06/17/18 06:08 AM
For the good of the sport?
by BOSStull - 06/16/18 06:39 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by wronghander - 05/27/18 05:03 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.