BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8272 - 08/25/04 01:28 PM How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Comet Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: male/Canada
I don't remember seeing any Olympics with bowling as one of the competing events, so why isn't it included????

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8273 - 08/25/04 01:54 PM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
dbtweety Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 46/M/MN
it seems i'm as qualified as anyone to comment on this! Hey; if they're going to have beach volleyball which was originally invented to sell beer, and wind surfing in the olympics.... I mean how does Afghanisdtan train windsurfers when they have no ocean! Bowling seems to be a very legitimate sport...but really, the olympics should have track and field and little else..in my opinion.

#8274 - 08/25/04 04:39 PM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
sloth Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/NE
I brought the same thing up to my wife yesterday. I thought if Curling is an olympic sport than bowling should be also.

#8275 - 08/27/04 11:33 PM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Bowlerdude Offline
Junior

A/S/L: SoCal
Bowling isn't a sport, it is a tricked up game and that is why it isn't in the Olympics! Sorry.

#8276 - 08/28/04 07:45 AM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
If synchronized swimming is an olympic event then bowling should be too. I agree with tweety though that a lot of events should be eliminated. I was watching at work yesterday and saw what I think is called steeplechasing. With the guy on the horse jumping over an obstacle course. I asked who gets the medal the rider or the horse?
seems to me like the horse is doing all the work.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#8277 - 08/28/04 12:07 PM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Bowlerdude,

It's called the Olympic Games, not the Olympic Sports...

Bowling continues to be on the radar of the US Olympic Committee, and merging ABC, WIBC, and YABA, is in part, coming into compliance with Olympic rules for a single governing entity.

Once the USOC has all of its criteria met, then it will become an issue for the International Olympic Committee. Some say it will never happen. I believe, in time, all things are possible.

The bottom line for the IOC is profits, just the same as any buisness entity. In the past three Olympic seasons, the only time the stadiums have been filled is when the USA hosts. In every other country people were bussed in to fill the seats for the cameras, so it doesn't look like no one goes to it. This is a reflection of the bottom line, whether it is transparent to the public or not.

With the continuing problems of judging errors, and doping scandals, the IOC will find itself hard pressed to uphold public interest and integrity. Without a strong public interest, there is no means of supporting the games.

If the public demands an Olympic game of bowling, and shows an interest in going to view it, it will provide assistance in adding the game to the roster of included games. But the wheels of the Olympi Committee turn slowly, so I don't expect any great changes soon.

#8278 - 08/30/04 01:23 AM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Bowlerdude Offline
Junior

A/S/L: SoCal
Coach04,

Bowling will never be an Olympic sport because the scoring environment is to easily manipulated! You know like a tricked up game that I previously mentioned. Who would decide what type of condition to put out for the games? What would happen if the U.S. Olympic team was composed of a bunch of power players and they decided to put a condition out that favored Taiwanese spinners? [the power players would think their pocket had been moved to Tibet] You don't think we would cry foul do you? On what basis would you select an Olympic team? Would you invite the bowlers with the highest averages to the trials? Geez..every stomp and spray house hack in America with a average over 220 would apply! What criteria would you use to determine the good hacks from the bad? Face it bowling has no credibility and that is another reason it will never be an Olympic game..er sport!
Sorry, again.

#8279 - 08/30/04 02:22 AM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Bowlerdude,

I don't find that any different than who decides on the ice surface for hockey, the course for the luge, the track condition for the horses, the surface for the curling, the compaction for the ski jump, surface conditions for skulling, the temprature in the stadium for track & field, etc. etc. etc.

If you require a certain lane condition before you can bowl, you wouldn't be a contender anyway. Eliminations would be no different than for any other Olympic team. Only the the ones who prove they have the right stuff make it to team USA.

Similar to the PBA, thousands join with the hope of competing, but 64 are selected. It has worked well for them, for many years.

#8280 - 08/30/04 09:18 AM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
petrinjak Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 34/Male/Virginia
Bowlerdude,
How exactly would you define the nature of a sport? And don't just give examples of what you think are sports. What do you feel are some black and white criteria for something to be considered a sport.

#8281 - 08/30/04 11:50 AM Re: How Come Bowling Isn't in the Olympics?
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I personally feel that the Olympics should represent the finest athletes that test our skill, strength, speed and endurance in different events. Bowling can definitely test your skill, endurance and focus. I have no problem with bowling. I love bowling. I could bowl for hours and have done so many times.

I have more problems with some other games that are Olympic events. If they can be Olympic games then so should Bowling.

I have acquired various ailments since I've taken up bowling that I never thought would happen. My back has caused me to consider using 15 pound bowling balls and to begin exercising my abs and lower back. My wrist caused me to do wrist exercises to strengthen my wrist. I now stretch before bowling. I have no doubt that bowling is a sport. Or a very vigorous game. whatever. Bowling to me is as much a sport as golf. I wonder how many calories I burn bowling? I bet it is quite a bit. When I practice I work up quite a sweat. I have to take off my shirt and I scare all of the senior citizens at the bowling alley.
laugh
To me bowling should be an Olympic event.
Syncronized Swimming?
nelson

Of course you look at some guys on the PBA Tour and you wonder ( Traber ) if bowling should be considered for the olympics. To me and Olympian should look like an Olympian. No disrespect intended to Traber who is a wonderfully skilled bowler.

I've rambled too much, this is what happens when I take a day off. I think I'll go to the mall.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - Yesterday at 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.