BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82484 - 03/02/09 07:05 PM USBC Open Guidance
mayer54 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/MI
I am traveling to Vegas this year for my first USBC open. I am a 190-200 average bowler over the past couple years on a house shot and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to attack the lanes in Vegas? Anyone already bowled that can describe the shot? I know it will probably be tough bowling as I only have house shot experience.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#82510 - 03/03/09 12:14 AM Re: USBC Open Guidance [Re: mayer54]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Try to find out the pattern in your practice and first couple of balls. I'd recommend the 7-shot way to read lanes. That way you can get the pattern length and the oil distribution. But then again that's 14 shots for an accurate read and I doubt you'll get that.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm going for my first time as well and I'm throwing in the 170s average-wise. I'm trying to get my plastic spare shooting down, that I think will help me more than anything else.

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (03/03/09 12:18 AM)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#82514 - 03/03/09 01:08 AM Re: USBC Open Guidance [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
There is another thread on the USBC Open with the oil pattern and a discussion about it. Do a search.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#82530 - 03/03/09 08:21 AM Re: USBC Open Guidance [Re: Dennis Michael]
jaws1945 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 63/M/Minnesota
They are tough no matter which oil pattern they use. Spare shooting is a must, and not just the 7 and 10 pins. Because of the lack of wiggle room, if you are having trouble getting lined up, be prepared for multiple pin leaves.

#82537 - 03/03/09 09:18 AM Re: USBC Open Guidance [Re: jaws1945]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Welcome to the site.

A few things about Nationals.

1) Go there to have fun.
2) Don't lose the pocket. What I mean by that the people who bowl the best there don't try to hook the lane. You can't. Starting the ball in and getting the ball outside of 10 is a recipe for disaster.
3) A spare ball is a must. Use it and use it often. Straighter is greater for spares. Hooking the ball into spares is a good way to have a lot of opens.
4) Have fun. Why do I mention it twice? Because that is the main reason for bowling. Having fun. I have been a few times and I find that if I start getting upset with how I am doing, it just gets worse.

Now, for the lanes. I haven't talked to anyone coming back yet but, in the past, here is how I have played them. During team, tart with your mark around 15 and have your break around 10. Use your ball that can eat some oil. That is where a majority of people will be playing. A dry spot will start to form at 10. Use it as a bumper. As the games wear on, you will start being able to use polished equipment. During D/S, people can get the ball outside of 10 maybe to 7-8 from the inside. Getting it outside of that is a good way to get a 3 count. I have seen people with even rolling equipment roll straight up 5 and have success. Out there, you don't want a ball that is too jumpy.

#82571 - 03/03/09 02:07 PM Re: USBC Open Guidance [Re: General Pounder]
jaws1945 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 63/M/Minnesota
Good synopsis. Either way you must be accurate.

#82578 - 03/03/09 02:45 PM Re: USBC Open Guidance [Re: jaws1945]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I figured something like that GP, especially from what I read about on the other thread. Also there is a reason why I got my spare ball first in my arsenal reconstruction. I figured if anything it could be my saving grace if I could get good with it. Every since I've started bowling I've always been a little bit better at hitting my spares than throwing up strings of strikes (but considering last weeks performance I think my game is really starting to evolve).
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#82603 - 03/03/09 06:38 PM Re: USBC Open Guidance [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
mayer54 Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/MI
Thanks for the advice. GP I agree that I will have to stay patient with myself. Having fun is the most important thing.

I have heard from others as well that outside 10 is a potential disaster. That in a house shot I will be used to letting the ball out and having it come back - but at USBCs it will stay out and if you are going to miss you should miss inside.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/19/19 10:21 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.