BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82281 - 03/01/09 07:20 PM Re: A Free Swing and a Wrist Brace [Re: Dennis Michael]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
Pete Weber uses a golf glove and not a wrist brace. I have seen some older telecasts where he did use a brace, but he certainly doesn't now. If you are young enough, I certainly agree that one shouldn't use one. if you are a bit older and aren't strong enough to keep your wrist in a strong position and still want to bowl, that is different. But I can only go back to golf as they don't allow any training devices like braces during play. I believe that braces shouldn't be allowed in league play or PBA tourny's. Just a personal belief. I believe if you can't get your wrist in a firm position, the ball is probably too heavy. I don't get too passionate about it, not a big deal at all. Just an opinion. I accept it and move on. Not worth the stress. I like to say " don't worry about things you can't control".

I like to tell the youths to try it just for a practice to show them what a firm wrist feels like. I tell them that they shouldn't rely on it.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#82287 - 03/01/09 07:39 PM Re: A Free Swing and a Wrist Brace [Re: Smooth Stroker]
UnKnown Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 21/?/USA
I donít think they should be illegal. I use a Robby Revs 2 wrist support. I use it to keep a constant wrist angle and it helps with my release. I am very constant with it. I average 220 with it and only about 200 without it. I do not have a weak wrist or an injury I just tried it one day and have been using it for two years now. I out score and out average a lot of people, including people that talk bad about them. I totally disagree with your view on them smooth stroker.
PBA member

#82288 - 03/01/09 07:46 PM Re: A Free Swing and a Wrist Brace [Re: UnKnown]
A K
Unregistered

cool glad it makes you average higher. [redacted]

Edited by Admin (03/02/09 12:16 AM)
Edit Reason: [redacted]

#82290 - 03/01/09 07:55 PM Re: A Free Swing and a Wrist Brace [Re: ]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
I think a lot of people use wrist braces because they try to control the swing to much. If you have a free arm swing, the ball doesn't put much strain on your wrist at all. If you control the swing and slow it down, gravity pulls on the ball which you have to counteract with your wrist. If you just let the ball fall, there's very little strain on your wrist at all.

#82291 - 03/01/09 07:55 PM Re: A Free Swing and a Wrist Brace [Re: ]
UnKnown Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 21/?/USA
[redacted]

Edited by Admin (03/02/09 12:18 AM)
Edit Reason: Personal attacks not permitted
PBA member

#82294 - 03/01/09 08:01 PM Re: A Free Swing and a Wrist Brace [Re: UnKnown]
A K
Unregistered

[redacted]

Edited by Admin (03/02/09 12:17 AM)
Edit Reason: [redacted]

#82342 - 03/01/09 10:51 PM Re: A Free Swing and a Wrist Brace [Re: ]
wandk128 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 21 Mass
If they are as helpful to scores as you make them seem using the word cheat, then why doesn't everyone use them?

#82354 - 03/02/09 01:08 AM Re: A Free Swing and a Wrist Brace [Re: wandk128]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I dislike using them unless I have an injury or soreness. I mean, don't get me wrong when I first started to up the strength in my wrist, and granted I am what we all consider young, I used a cheap one just to get my wrist to acknowledge a firm grip. I say cheap because it wasn't a robby's revs or anything flashy and actually that effective. For me it was simply to keep the wrist from bending back, or more or less to let me know what it feels like if my wrist is trying to. This way, now I can tell if it breaks back on me and I can correct it next shot.

I also kinda think that braces should be removed from tourneys and pba matches just because they give a bit extra strength to the wrist and keep things really locked in place. I think that in practice, fine, no problem, build strength. But in the matches, despite the fact that everyone can legally use one, I know personally I dislike the way they feel. Some people don't like them and though its fair enough to have them, isn't it more skill based to not use them? And if the brace helps the wrist stay strong, maybe a lighter ball will help? Injuries are one thing, but to use them just because they keep your wrist in a position that you can't otherwise seems a bit of a cop-out. But the problem with that is that I still think that if you are of the age where the brace helps I understand. Its a hypocritical opinion I know, but I guess the best solution is still just to leave it alone and leave it the way it is now. I mean, plenty pba wins are won without use of a brace.

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#82368 - 03/02/09 03:16 AM Re: A Free Swing and a Wrist Brace [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Wow, that's extreme. I watched the Junior league a few Saturdays ago, and was surprised to see a lot, and I mean more than half of the kids using wrist braces. The training Coach also was wearing one.

Next time I go, I will ask why.

In fact, I have 3 female Coaches on my Tues team, and 2 of them use a support.
My Coach uses a support.

I occasionally will use one, for reasons I have stated. I don't see what the flack is all about. It's another piece of equipment out of your bag.

To call this cheating is ridiculous. Changing sliding soles and heals is cheating, then. Why should one bowler have an advantage over another because they can slide? And, sanding a ball for use on oil for more friction is cheating. And, wrist bands, and elbow bands..... and so on. What about wearing sunglasses?

Now, wearing a brimmed baseball cap while bowling IS cheating.

This is a ridiculous argument.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#82377 - 03/02/09 07:55 AM Re: A Free Swing and a Wrist Brace [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Rack Wrecker
I also kinda think that braces should be removed from tourneys and pba matches just because they give a bit extra strength to the wrist and keep things really locked in place.

The vast majority of pros don't use them. Back it the day, you'd see some pros on TV using them, but they'd take the metal out of them so they could still move their wrist? Do you want to know why they wore them? Because they got extra sponsor money to do so.

I think that for the modern game, a wrist brace actually inhibits your ability to put revs on the ball. You don't see the guys with medium or higher revs on the tour using them. Why? Because you can't move your wrist the way you need to in order to get those revs if you're wearing a wrist brace.

I don't see any problem with people using them because I don't think it gives anyone an advantage.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by IronMike - 04/20/18 10:56 AM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.