BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82195 - 03/01/09 02:40 PM Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PTI
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
After missing last week's Geico Plastic Ball Championship, which was won by Jeff Carter, Wes Malott (aka The Big Nasty) responded to the press as to why he didn't compete in it, as well as issuing a challenge to PTI (Pardon The Interruption) co-host Michael Wilbon to a one-game match.

What do you guys make of it?
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#82201 - 03/01/09 02:58 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PTI [Re: BIGHMW]
Vic44 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 51/ Male/ Colorado Springs CO
Wilbon should respond back that he will do that if Malott accepts his challenge to a 500 word article regarding steroids.

Personally, I believe Malott should have handled it a bit better. Seems like a decent enough guy most times, but he let a little criticism get under his skin rather than just giving a simple explanation and shrugging it off. He seemed awfully defensive.

But on the other hand, ANY national news on bowling is good news. No such thing as bad publicity except for the law breaking type of publicity.

Career HG: 300 (3)
Career HS: 772
Career High Avg(09-10) 217.
15-16 Avg: 189

Last year? Not pretty. No high scores worth posting from 15-16. But good times ahead. smile

#82202 - 03/01/09 02:58 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PTI [Re: BIGHMW]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I'd like to comment but did not see the PTI episode. I looked around youtube and the web just a bit but could not find it. If someone can provide a link I would be greatful.

Either way, bowling can use the public drama.

Erin

#82211 - 03/01/09 03:41 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PTI [Re: Atochabsh]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

...and everytime he struck, he kept it (the topic and the accomanying controversy that went with it) going, also finishing that he "has the best equipment in the world to work with..." and he does, but really, Wes.

Why don't you take some time next week before the next tournament (the Don Johnson Buckeye Eliminator Championship) to go on PTI (live from Columbus) and issue the challenge to Michael Wilbon outright. Let's see how Wilbon reacts, especially after seeing your great performance this morning/afternoon and that title-winning 250+ game you bowled against Ronnie Russell. I'll bet you'd scare the daylights out of him, especially since he (much like most of us) bowls on a house pattern as opposed to the tougher conditions you guys bowl on every week.

Well, here it is:

Wes Malott vs. Michael Wilbon

(Wilbon gets to pick the PBA pattern this match would be contested on)

I would buy a ticket to see this one, and if I couldn't make it, then I'll record it onto DVD, as I do every tournament week for the past 3 seasons (I use to tape it on my VCR well before then).

www.BIGHMW.com

#82219 - 03/01/09 04:26 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PTI [Re: BIGHMW]
Dan300 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40s/M/Woodbridge, VA
You know, some controversy might do bowling some good.

I didn't see the show either, but it sounds like something that might generate interest among the average sports fan who doesn't really watch bowling on TV.
300s: 13 total

Season (14-15):
----
HSS: 822
HSG: 300(2)

Averages(1/8/15):
----
Composite: 225
WMCL: 235
Stan Soaper: 219
Men's Automotive: 220

Balls(15#):
----
HyperCell Skid
HyperCell
Infinite Theory
Wrecker

#82227 - 03/01/09 05:03 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PTI [Re: Dan300]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Here it is, this is what started the whole controversy:

The piece I was talking about starts at the 1:13 mark.

Reactive resin balls are like "bowling on steroids"??? Come on!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#82243 - 03/01/09 05:21 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PTI [Re: BIGHMW]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I'd like to read the interview that Wilbon was talking about. A lot of times, writers take what is said and completely twist it. I have seen live interviews then read the newspaper and been like: Where in the heck did he get that from. Before I take anyones side on this, I would like to see an actual transcript.

If Wes is in the right, then I think that he has every right to do what he did on the air. He was called out on National TV on a show that is much more watched than the PBA (I love watch PTI btw and watch it whenever I get a chance). I think that it is great that the week after it happened, Wes made the #1 seed in the most grueling format. Then, won the tourney.

#82253 - 03/01/09 05:32 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PTI [Re: General Pounder]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Here is the article from The Denver Post that may very well explain it all:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11726571

www.BIGHMW.com

#82266 - 03/01/09 05:59 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PTI [Re: BIGHMW]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
It's pretty clear that Wes didn't compete because he has a very strong 'A' game and not a lot of versatility. That's why I don't think anybody would put him on the level of Norm Duke, PDW or WRW (who finished 15th in the plastic tourney IIRC) even though he's leading the tour in points and average.

If he challenged Wilbon to a bowling match, he's embarrassing himself and confirming the doubters--as Wilbon will realize immediately since he reports on a wide range of sports. A controversy may benefit bowling, but it won't help Wes (to put it mildly).

#82273 - 03/01/09 06:30 PM Re: Wes Malott's challenge to Michael Wilbon of PT [Re: untutored]
A K
Unregistered

[redacted]

Edited by Admin (03/02/09 12:09 AM)
Edit Reason: Personal attacks not welcome.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 02/29/20 01:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.