BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#8217 - 06/28/02 11:58 AM PWBA Commentary
iumatrix Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: USA
I think the PWBA should get a better set of commentators. Instead of using Jan Schmidt and players who didn't make the cut, the commentators should be experienced bowlers but not bowling the tournament. I have a hard time paying attention to them speak because they either don't make sense or just can't put bowling terminology into layman's terms for those novice bowlers. The next time you watch a PWBA show, just pay attention to the commentators and you'll see exactly what i am talking about.

On a side note, the PBA did away with Golf's voice Jim Kelly and replaced him with Ron Thulin. If you ever get to see Ron Thulin and Randy Petersen do a show, you will definitely see a difference.

P.S. Anyone ever think of the PWBA and PBA joining forces?

-John Jowdy and others...

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#8218 - 06/28/02 10:05 PM Re: PWBA Commentary
Express Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Alanta, GA
Jan is a nice girl but I've been complaining about her hosting the show for two years now.

I agree they need a professional announcer that knows bowling doing the show. At times Jan projects her voice in a way that sounds very fake and amateurish. It's almost like someone doing a bad impression or parody of a real announcer at times.

I don't see the men combining with them women. They're only interested in promoting the PBA and they'll gladly leave the women out in the cold without any second thought. Remember the US Open?

#8219 - 06/29/02 10:45 PM Re: PWBA Commentary
iumatrix Offline
Junior Coach

Yeah,

I remember the US OPEN. That wasn't the PBA's fault though. Granted they raised the prize fund and all, the BPAA couldn't handle it. As for the women, they need some female former Nike executives to help them climb. Maybe one day...

We both know the PWBA can't touch the PBA with money, so this equal opportunity stuff is irrelevant. Title IX weekend was last weekend... if the PWBA wants more money, secure more sponsors... would you agree?

#8220 - 07/03/02 11:03 PM Re: PWBA Commentary
BatzVI Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 43/F/St. Thomas, Virgin Island...
I always enjoy watching the PWBA on TV...so glad it's there...I'm not impressed with Jan Schmidt, but I always like it when Carolyn Dorin-Ballard is doing the show...the lady has class...It would be nice, however, if there was a way to find out more about what equipment the women are using...I was thrilled to see Leanne Barrett using a Vortex which is my ball of choice...but I'm curious as to some of the other equipment used...Just like everyone, still searching for that "perfect" ball!

#8221 - 07/03/02 11:11 PM Re: PWBA Commentary
BatzVI Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 43/F/St. Thomas, Virgin Island...
After exploring this site a bit more, I found the info on "Ball Beat"....unfortunately, not much info on the women....

#8222 - 07/04/02 02:17 AM Re: PWBA Commentary
Rocket to the Pocket Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Some bowling center in Vermont
You'll never know what ball a particular pro is using on the show, unless you can pick it out by color (and by their sponsor patches). The announcers never say what a bowler is using.

CCBA Director and Yankee Lanes Center League Sec'y

Not your average everyday bowler (that's for sure)

#8223 - 07/04/02 10:40 AM Re: PWBA Commentary
usr bin geek Offline

A/S/L: 37/m/Burlington, VT
The PBA Pros and Ball Reps were always very cooperative supplying us the info for BallBeat until the new PBA management essentially banned them.

On the other hand very little ever trickled in from the PWBA players and their reps despite most if not all knowing about it.
Founder

Since your questions may also be of benefit to others please post them to the board.

Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon.com Wishlist

#8224 - 07/05/02 09:40 AM Re: PWBA Commentary
iumatrix Offline
Junior Coach

From the looks of the PWBA, you may not have had a guess on the exact name of a ball, but you'll be assured that for every single show, you can be guaranteed that Ebonite will at least have 2 women on the show. I mean come on, 5 women... all with Ebonite? They've come a long way...

As for the PBA, it varies... you see what happened to Couch when the "New" PBA came... Kent won the most money he'll ever win... and Jones was Rookie of the Year.

P.S. Dorin-Ballard probably knows Ebonite's equipment more than anyone on the PWBA... how else could she have set and tied those records last year (Well with the help of Del, but even he said she does things 90% on her own)? I've been surprised that she's hesitant to name Ebonite's balls on TV, even when she throws them herself.
I think the reason why they don't mention names is so they don't create "indirect advertising" for the ball company. If that was the case, Ebonite is well in front of everyone.

#8225 - 06/02/03 11:09 AM Re: PWBA Commentary
gene brady Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 81/m/melbourne,fl.
Hi ,I wish the commentators would let us know the weight of the ball, that each contestant is using on the TV finals.Especially the {PWBA).
Gene confused

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - Yesterday at 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.