BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#82084 - 02/28/09 06:57 PM Any thoughts?
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Chicagoland
Howdy folks I recently posted my new member introduction here. As mentioned there I'm returning to bowling after a long hiatus. While I'm happy to be back I unfortunately don't feel I'm up to old form. So here's a couple shots of me from this morning.

Any critique? Things felt pretty good although I felt that my tempo was a little fast and that I wasn't completely relaxed with my grip.

PAP: 5 1/8 x 3/4 up || Speed: 17.78 || Revs: 314 || Rotation: 65* || Tilt: 15*

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#82094 - 02/28/09 07:56 PM Re: Any thoughts? [Re: lmfcoa]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Good tune.

Release looks decent - not hitting up a ton or sending it 15 feet down the lane. You are fairly raised up at the foul line, but you are balanced which is great. You may benefit with a bit more knee bend and a bit less upper body lean at the line.

Without a full side view, it's hard to tell timing or freeness of the armswing, so I'll just say to make sure you keep the armswing loose and free.

Looks like the ball may fall off your hand a bit early, which could indicate a thumb hole that's too big, or too much reverse pitch, and either of those could indicate a need to squeeze, which could cause tightness in the armswing. But without a good side view or (better yet) seeing it in person, that's speculation at this point.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#82100 - 02/28/09 08:26 PM Re: Any thoughts? [Re: cgeorg]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks for the thoughts cgeorg. I agree completely with your thoughts about the knee bend and leaning at the line. I find that when the lanes are hooking I tend to lean more although I'm not sure why. Also I have been fighting some knee pain lately so I could be subconsciously keeping it straight.

As for the falling off my hand I'll have to look into the pitch issue because I don't think it's a issue of being too lose. My inferno was drilled by a different shop than my cell which is new so I will have to compare the pitch to that as well as get a vid of that ball online.

#82271 - 03/01/09 06:19 PM Re: Any thoughts? [Re: lmfcoa]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
It looks to me like the ball's going behind your back a bit--not that it's wrong necessarily, but if that's happening, you should be aware of it. You're also drifting left with your right foot instead of walking straight to the target.

You plant on the last two steps, which can't be good for your joints. I agree that you need to bend your knee, but I'd be concerned about injury if that change isn't accompanied by a smoother approach and a longer slide.

#82451 - 03/02/09 03:02 PM Re: Any thoughts? [Re: untutored]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

Another two shots from league last night. I had changed anything purposefully, but thing certainly felt different last night and not in a good way :-(

#82534 - 03/03/09 08:39 AM Re: Any thoughts? [Re: lmfcoa]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
To me it looks like your push away is a little to direct and sharp. It should be a nice smooth arc, yours seems to go almost straight out (at least in the league video) then just drops quickly into the swing. You want shape in your push and you want to place the ball into the swing. You do not want an abrupt change in direction as that promotes grabbing and muscling.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#82541 - 03/03/09 09:49 AM Re: Any thoughts? [Re: sk8shorty01]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Has your second video times out? It doesn't play for me.

OK, it took quite a while, but it's there.

Edited by Dennis Michael (03/03/09 09:50 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#82550 - 03/03/09 10:58 AM Re: Any thoughts? [Re: Dennis Michael]
lmfcoa Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks for the thoughts Sk8.

Dennis glad it came up for you, must have been a youtube issue because the video is a lot smaller than the first one :-)

#82713 - 03/04/09 11:28 AM Re: Any thoughts? [Re: sk8shorty01]
MoAxMan Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 24 Male Charlotte, NC U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01
To me it looks like your push away is a little to direct and sharp. It should be a nice smooth arc, yours seems to go almost straight out (at least in the league video) then just drops quickly into the swing. You want shape in your push and you want to place the ball into the swing. You do not want an abrupt change in direction as that promotes grabbing and muscling.

I would argue that if you have enough forward pitch and your thumbhole is tight enough, you should be able to allow gravity to pull the ball into the swing without grabbing and muscling. IMHO a nice smooth arc from the stance into the swing might encourage you to hold the ball back instead of "just letting it fall" as RonC would say.

Here is a link of Brian Voss who I consider to have one of the most free armswings the game has ever seen. Notice the straight out pushaway and then when the arm is almost fully extended he just lets gravity take over (sorry I couldn't embed this video).

I'm not a coach so I may be wrong on this but just thought I would offer my two cents.

Pin Slasher
Emerald Vibe
Natural

#82730 - 03/04/09 01:33 PM Re: Any thoughts? [Re: MoAxMan]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
If you watch the ball path with Brian Voss' approach you will notice that although the arm comes straight out, he does wait to straighten the arm all the way until the ball is starting its downward move. This still creates an arc to some degree, as it rounds that corner off. I was simply trying to say that you don't want any sharp corners in your push away as that can promote other problems.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/22/19 03:14 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.