BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81357 - 02/23/09 08:50 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: leftykev]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
One thing I saw was that each bowler had a different route to the pocket. Usually, on the PBA patterns, even when the bowlers play different lines, they all seem to have the same breakpoint. That wasn't the case with the bowlers on the Plastic tourny. PDW was going down the 9 board at the arrows I think. Fagan played the most hook and the widest breakpoint. Carter played the tightest line. The breakpoints seemed to be all different. They might have been on the same angle to the pocket, maybe, but the breakpoints were all different.

The accuracy that they displayed was amazing. Did you see when they showed PDW's stats? He was hitting the exact same board with the same speed range, 17 point something mph. I thought to myself, that's why he made the show. This was right down his alley. I think he wasn't ahead of the transition and Carter was since he just finished bowling. How many shots do they get inbetween games? Does anyone know? Pete wasn't carrying the first few frames and when he made the adjustment, it was too late.

I thought the oil volume was good. they weren't hooking the whole lane. Barnes and Fagan were hooking the lanes some but watching PDW and Jeff Carter play the lanes that straight must tell you something. They also sanded the balls down a lot. I wonder if the straight guys were hooking the ball at all? Bowling with Plastic eliminates the strategy of burning the other guys line and messing up their shot. You had better spend your time developing your own shot however much they could with plastic. I would think that the oil would just carry down and make them play the lanes straighter and slower.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#81404 - 02/24/09 12:58 AM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Mattdean76 Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 34/M/NY
I was surprised to not see some of the bowlers go in this. To me it was sad that some of the pros skipped this event. I thought it was a GREAT idea, as it really tests the bowler, as opposed to the equipment. I watched it on TV and PDW was on fire in the first game. It was a nice treat to see it really, and I am happy they did it.

15# Brunswick Power Groove Dry R
15# Global 900 Creature S40
14# Faball Purple Hammer (spare ball)
15# Rotogrip Mars Pearl

#81438 - 02/24/09 09:41 AM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: Mattdean76]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Well, the thing to consider is that they were coming off a grueling major, and the tournament this week is a 54 game marathon tournament. I can see wanting to take a week off no matter what the format is.

For those that didn't get to see it, in the round of 8 Robert Smith was playing hard and fast up 10, and Brian Voss was outside, with a minimal swing around first arrow. There were definitely lots of ways to play the lanes.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#81451 - 02/24/09 10:13 AM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: cgeorg]
jaws1945 Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 63/M/Minnesota
Then why don't they score even higher with the modern equipment?
The pattern was a modified cheetah pattern with lighter oil. Granted they are going to bowl better than the average amateur, because of their skill, but making it easier for them doesn't impress me. A real test would be to have seen them bowl on some of the other tougher patterns used in other tournaments. I am not taking anything away from these guys,just my opinion.

#81466 - 02/24/09 12:13 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: jaws1945]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Modified = less oil. They didn't change the ratio or shape. Most of the bowlers that went far said that they did as well as they did because it took equipment out of the equation, which is huge. Instead of figuring out which of 12 or 16 balls works, and dealing with 10 board moves each game, they just had to make good shots. Why don't they use it every week? Because normally, there's too much oil for plastic. Why don't they reduce the oil? Because then some people with a lower powered game would still use reactive equipment, because they can't generate the entry angle that the power players can (either someone like Duke or WRW, or Mike Mineman coming through the TQR) with plastic, and they would a) cause the pattern to blow up, which is one of the things the all plastic equipment kept from happening, and b) probably have a carry advantage, because they could create more entry angle.

The scores were not much different from the last cheetah event:

Cheetah Championship: http://pba.com/livescoring/qual_results.aspx?RoundID=1182
Plastic Ball: http://pba.com/livescoring/qual_results.aspx?RoundID=1224

5 pin difference in top qualifier, 3 pin difference in the cut. That could just as easily be due to the house as it could be due to the equipment.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#81483 - 02/24/09 01:52 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: cgeorg]
Fin09 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 53/M/Virginia Beach, VA
Great bowling Jeff- to have that as your first title is a true testament to your abilities.

Bowl up a Storm!

#81555 - 02/24/09 08:03 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: Fin09]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Modern equipment is sometimes a curse as CG explained. Which ball to use, how huge of an adjustment to make? over/under reaction, or just too much hook in general. Many have argued that modern equipment has made this sport too easy yet some believe it's also made it more complicated with all the choices.
HS:763

#81585 - 02/24/09 11:19 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I am equally interested in this marathon tourny this week. They've already started. It looks like a perfect tourny for the likes of Duke, Barnes, Malott, TJ, Walter Ray. The players that bowl well on all of the patterns. I'm sure PDW and Fagan will be there too. I just wish they didn't use the Cheetah pattern first. They're cutting down to a third after two patterns and two days.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#81588 - 02/24/09 11:36 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: Smooth Stroker]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
When is the marathon tournament on?
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#81589 - 02/24/09 11:59 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Avery Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/KS
Sunday, ESPN, 12:30PM EST. The championship round will feature an oil pattern selected by the top qualifier.

Edited by Avery (02/25/09 12:01 AM)

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.